FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » is the Painkiller just Pina Colada with nutmeg?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
is the Painkiller just Pina Colada with nutmeg?
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-10 11:33 am   Permalink

I don't mean to stab at the very heart of tikidom, but how exactly is the Painkiller (manly sounding drink) different from a Pina Colada (which is for the ladies)?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-04-10 11:38 am   Permalink

GROG think you answered your own question. A man can't come into a bar and order a Pina Colada, that's a girl drink. But if he orders a nice manly sounding drink like a Pain Killer.....

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-10 11:43 am   Permalink

Similar, but not exact. Painkiller has the same ingredients as a pina colada but adds orange juice and cinnamon besides the nutmeg. Plus it uses two kinds of rum, neither the light rum that is in a pina colada.

PAINKILLER
4 oz Unsweetened Pineapple Juice
1 oz Orange Juice
1 oz Lopez Coconut Cream
1 oz Gold Virgin Islands Rum
1 oz Barbados Rum
1 pinch Powdered Cinnamon
1 pinch Ground Nutmeg

PINA COLADA
1.5 oz white rum
1.5 oz cream of coconut
4.5 oz pineapple juice

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-10 11:48 am   Permalink

The Pain Killer has not suffered the horrible slurpy-machine premixed indignity that Piña Colada has.

When was the last time you ever heard "Woooo!!!! Gonna get me some Pain Killer and get my dance on!" in reference to plans for Friday night?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-10 12:29 pm   Permalink

A Painkiller made with Pusser's Navy Rum tastes nothing like a Pina Colada.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-10 1:11 pm   Permalink

I don't know the recipe that Arriano posted, I know the one with Pusser's rum, which, as mentioned, tastes nothing like Pina Colada. Pusser's has a very distinct woody flavor that will cut through many drinks.
The only shame is that they stopped importing the 95.5 proof to the US.

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dcman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-11 06:34 am   Permalink

The Painkiller is decidedly more than a Pina Colada, with its own backstory and history.

It was originally invented at the Soggy Dollar Bar somewhere around the early 1970's. Charles Tobias, who eventually bought the rights to blend and distribute Pussers rum, trademarked his version of the recipe and to this day Pussers rum and the Painkiller are associated with one another. I've done some reasearch on the Painkiller and despite Charles' claim to the recipe, I believe the original recipe that he attempted to reverse engineer is still used at the Soggy Dollar Bar and is still as yet unknown to the public. You can read more about the Soggy Dollar Bar here.

http://www.soggydollar.com/

And about Pussers Rum here, including mroe about the history of the Painkiller.

http://www.pussers.com/

dcman

View Profile of dcman Send a personal message to dcman  Goto the website of dcman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-11 08:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-10 12:29, MrBaliHai wrote:
A Painkiller made with Pusser's Navy Rum tastes nothing like a Pina Colada.

+1

Also, you can load a Painkiller with Pusser's and no one will be the wiser...until later. A drink that truly lives up to it's name.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-11 11:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-10 13:11, kick_the_reverb wrote:
I don't know the recipe that Arriano posted, I know the one with Pusser's rum, which, as mentioned, tastes nothing like Pina Colada.

If I'm remembering my drink history correctly, the Painkiller recipe I posted is the original. The Soggy Dollar Bar used Mount Gay and Cruzan. Pusser's became the official rum of the cocktail later.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-11 12:33 pm   Permalink

Pusser's Pain Killer
2 - 4 oz Pusser's® dark rum
4 oz pineapple juice
1 oz cream of coconut
1 oz orange juice

Pina Colada
1 1/2 oz light rum
2 oz Coco Lopez® cream of coconut
2 oz pineapple juice

Way different. First and foremost are the ratios. The PC is 1/3 coconut cream! The PK is 1/8th or even less. Secondly we have light rum vs dark rum. Everyone on TC is likely drinking 90% of their rum drinks with a dark rum base. And it is also likely that the only reason the PK is in our lexicon is because of the Pusser's connection. Not exactly a TIki drink really.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-11 12:47 pm   Permalink

a Painkiller will cure any pain you have.
a Pina Collada will give you a headache.

Pussers!!
use the red label for a real treat.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-18 4:54 pm   Permalink

My friend Lili made Painkiller ice cream last night. She had to boil down about 2/3rds of a bottle, so it may have been the most expensive batch of ice cream ever. Here's a photo and a link to the recipe:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lilita/5633008750/in/photostream/

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-18 9:32 pm   Permalink

okay, i finally procured my first bottle of Pusser's Navy rum, and I have pertinent follow-up points:

1. Pusser's has a very familiar aroma. Tastes like a junior Myers's, imo, but more testing in this regard will have to be conducted.

2. Coco Lopez. I mean, am i the only one who keeps planning to grab a spoon and consume a whole can of that tasty sweet shiznit raw?

3. Ok, grated some fresh nutmeg a la the recommendation of every junior cocktilian snob everywhere. yeah yeah, zesty, but too chunky. There's something to be said for the 'corporate' artisans who provide us with pre-grated nutmeg.

4. Finally, I recognize and concede even that the Pusser's does add a taste profile that differs substantially from a run-of-the-mill pina colada. Rougher, eve nscotchier as advertised, definitely different. I prefer it, too.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dave in the basement

Posted: 2011-04-19 08:52 am   Permalink

I need to remember to try to order a Painkiller at a bar sometime.

Can most bartenders make one of those, or am I limited to tiki bars? Anyone have any feedback?

Dave

View Profile of Dave in the basement Send a personal message to Dave in the basement  Email Dave in the basement     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-19 10:04 am   Permalink

This may just come from living in Florida, but without 100% faith in the bar and bartender, one of the scariest things I can think of doing is to order a tiki drink at a bar. After seeing all the different ways people have managed to mangle something simple like a margarita or a manhattan, the thought of what they would do to a Painkiller is downright frightening.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation