FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving carved my first tiki...
carved my first tiki...
Bad30th
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-12 11:06 am   Permalink

Hi everyone !

First off I'd just like to say thanks to all that have contributed here, you are my inspiration ! I really enjoy seeing everyone's work and there is some incredible talent here !

...so a couple of months ago my neighbor cut down a Mexican fan palm, which was the catalyst to me finally getting off my butt and carving my first tiki... I'm busy with a million other things but have spent a few hours here and there working on it. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out for a freshman effort, learned a lot and am looking forward to starting on tiki #2 !

To carve this guy I used a set of five Craftsman wood chisels (1 1/4" down to 1/4") and a urethane hammer, and a dremel for most of the small detail. I wanted to try for something non-standard and a little different, hence the droopy eyelids and big smile with no open mouth.

Tiki #1 was dedicated to my cat that just passed away after 16 years - Bub - he was one of a kind and I sure do miss him. The detail on the tiki going around above the eyes says "RIP BUB 2 18 11".

...so without further ado, here are some tiki pics :

Mahalo nui loa for looking, and for your feedback and ideas !
Rob

View Profile of Bad30th Send a personal message to Bad30th      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-12 6:32 pm   Permalink

Nice job. there are a lot of details in your carve

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 11:42 am   Permalink

cool first tiki!

unfortunately this new hobby is going to take priority over the million other things you have to do

happy carving!

View Profile of NIxxon Send a personal message to NIxxon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-18 12:57 pm   Permalink

Great way to incorporate the letters into the design. Good job.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-22 3:01 pm   Permalink

nice start bro.

go DEEP!!!!

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ToddVegas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-24 02:02 am   Permalink

Greetings friend! Your tiki kind of has a cartoon character look to it that is very cool. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for your time.
TODD

View Profile of ToddVegas Send a personal message to ToddVegas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation