FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 Next Page )
Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-04 08:04 am   Permalink

People, I suggest we don't turn this into a witch hunt. Let's just view the whole thing as a lesson and be prepared to sack up next year. Sleestak has another valid point, cops = oppression. I think it's sad that a community that seems so strongly connected on so many levels can't seem to police their own environment.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-04 09:37 am   Permalink

People. If you have a party, be responsible for your own room. If your going to have a mega party, your working all night. You don't get to sit back and enjoy your guests. You have to love enjoying the work. When the doors open, its bar work till dawn!

If you have a designated bar tender and a designated DJ, have designated security. Not gestapo guys but just have someone who keeps watch on the goings on. I'm telling you thats all it takes. This year Tiki Hell had nothing stolen and no idiot problems in the room. the worst thing was that a spotlight bulb was broken. Not even a tiki torch on the go go stage was hurt! Thats cause we watch things like hawks.

Don't call hotel security or the cops. Please Tell Dr. Shocker first. The last thing you want is the hotel getting annoyed. 99.9 % of the time its great at the room parties! But there are tons of drunk folks wondering about. Hey, if your going to make omelets, your going to break some eggs. Get over it.

View Profile of Big Vic Send a personal message to Big Vic  Email Big Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-04 10:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-04 09:37, Big Vic wrote:
People. If you have a party, be responsible for your own room. If your going to have a mega party, your working all night. You don't get to sit back and enjoy your guests. You have to love enjoying the work. When the doors open, its bar work till dawn!

If you have a designated bar tender and a designated DJ, have designated security. Not gestapo guys but just have someone who keeps watch on the goings on. I'm telling you thats all it takes. This year Tiki Hell had nothing stolen and no idiot problems in the room. the worst thing was that a spotlight bulb was broken. Not even a tiki torch on the go go stage was hurt! Thats cause we watch things like hawks.

Don't call hotel security or the cops. Please Tell Dr. Shocker first. The last thing you want is the hotel getting annoyed. 99.9 % of the time its great at the room parties! But there are tons of drunk folks wondering about. Hey, if your going to make omelets, your going to break some eggs. Get over it.

Exactly! This is the perfect example of how things should be handled.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kitty
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-04 3:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-04 10:21, Matt Reese wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-09-04 09:37, Big Vic wrote:

Exactly! This is the perfect example of how things should be handled.

Amen, my tiki brothers. We're perfectly capable of handling the rare riffraff (say that 5 times fast) internally. Onward and upward!

Hey, how about that great entertainment line-up this year?! Way to go, Otto and Doe!

Tiki Kitty / Deanna

View Profile of Tiki Kitty Send a personal message to Tiki Kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-04 3:41 pm   Permalink

and if things get out of hand, you could always post the culprits identities on TC, that'll learn 'em, lol!

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-04 3:54 pm   Permalink

So originally, a few pages back, Baby Doe asked us what we liked about the event. I'm going to go there again. One of the things I really liked was the friendly happy environment. Even outside of the rum, people are there to have a good time, and I believe 99.9% did overall. Despite any glitches, it still was a heck of a lot of fun. Would love to read what other people liked as well.

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-04 4:05 pm   Permalink

I enjoyed the music this year a lot. There was a fun mix and dancing is always a big part of the party for my family. i thought the indoor vending was great and had a higher attendance than previous years. I also ate at the restaurant a couple of times and the buffets were both good for the price. The sushi was good also. The thing that I enjoy the most every year is the people. It's a reunion that anyone can join in on. I loved seeing people take pics in the Tikijuana Jail. And I thought the whole event was one giant smile.

danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-04 4:32 pm   Permalink

Dan would say SHOPPING indoors and outdoors. I would say going on vacation with 200 friends. Making new friends or seeing TC friends in person for the first time. This year we tried out a balcony room over looking all the entertainment. We had friends share the view and we stayed up for the whole show each night. We had a blast. We also loved the room parties and I made a new friend Stephen B. room 1511 at 9 am, it was terrific to have an early room party to attend.

Going about the day from hug to hug makes for a very happy vacation. We also enjoyed the meals and the buffets at the Islands. After five years in a row we look forward to seeing the servers who recognize us as well.

This years mug was terrific and all the artists had fun things for sale. I loved being part of the art show and I hope to do it again next year. I'm so sorry that I missed seeing a few friends who were there like 1961Surf. Was TikiG there?
MadDogMike was there if only in my mind.

So I thank you Otto and BabyDoe for putting on the greatest event. The only downside is I get one vacation a year and I can't give up Oasis so I'll never see the rest of the world. Oh well I can't take 200 friends on a trip like that. Cheers until next year, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-04 4:51 pm   Permalink

I loved the vending...

I found 2 things that had been on my wish list for the longest time...

1. A DVD copy of "Hell's Half Acre". A 1954 Film Noir filmed on location in Hawaii, featuring the Waikiki Don the Beachcomber. (Also I'm a Marie Windsor completist.)

2. Bas Sheva's "The Passions", produced by Les Baxter. I found and purchased it on CD and in vinyl BOTH (!!).

Not to mention a bunch of vintage abstract-design barkcloth Aloha shirts. Tiki Oasis was one-stop Tiki shopping for sure.

The room parties were GREAT. The Ding Dong Devils were rockin' as always and I was really impressed by Kick the Reverb's band, The Sand Devils. Their new CD has been in heavy rotation. And The Hula Girls were great in the car show setting. The outdoor acoustics really suited their music.

I spent so much time in the room parties that I missed all of the "official" entertainment that I bought the wristband for. How ironic.

And Swanky's Mai Kai seminar was excellent !!

Oasis had a very unique vibe compared to Mojave, Caliente, and Hukilau. It was less an intimate classic Tiki-style affair and more a surreal Mid-century pop culture carnival that I enjoyed very much. I like where it's going with the themes.

I'll be back in 2012.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-04 4:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-04 16:32, danlovestikis wrote:

...Making new friends or seeing TC friends in person for the first time...

So I see this woman across the way in the restaurant. I say to myself "I know that woman, she looks SO familiar"...

Then I realize it's danlovestikis, who I recognize from her TC photos.

That was a fun moment.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-05 07:39 am   Permalink

Here's a recent Tiki find from Martian-tiki...

http://martiantiki.com/cabaret-v2n11/

(FYI, for those who aren't familiar with the Zamboanga, it was a historically signficant Pre-Tiki nightclub in Los Angeles which physically still exists, kind of.)

It shows that all of the burlesque at Oasis isn't just gratuitous mid-century entertainment, it's also relevant to our Tiki history !!

Tiki Oasis = Learning.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-09-05 07:51 ]

danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-05 08:43 am   Permalink

JOHN-O, I saw your name on the forums list and said hey he's one of my new friends I better go edit my post to add his name. Then I read your posts and found the story. That was a fun moment for us at Oasis. I look forward to running into in the future, Wendy - danlovestikis

I need this fellows name so I can send him the 6 photos I took at Swanky's terrific lecture on the Mai Kai.

Example of seeing a friend there. Hi Ron!

An example of meeting someone for the first time. Hi BigToe.

Notice Squid in the background?

The best Oasis ever! Wendy and Dan

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-05 08:59 am   Permalink

@Wendy & Dan - I was there Sunday afternoon for a few hours and missed meeting both of you

Next time huh?

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikirose
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-05 2:53 pm   Permalink

We did back to back Oasis/beach camping, so i'm just now feeling back to "normal". This was our fifth Oasis and like every year, it's like Disneyland for drunken grown-ups! I just wanted to chime in with my favorite moments of Oasis. The most interesting things of the weekend always happen in the elevator. For me, this year, it was meeting Sven in the elevator while we was loading up his car. He let me follow him out to the parking lot and sold me his GREAT CD - if you didn't get one - you should. I don't think enough has been said about Martin Cate's seminar. It was amazing, and I would have waited for hours to see that. Charles Phoenix, funny in every way. Love the morning yoga. I had never heard any of the bands before and I loved them all. I love how my tiki knowledge gets expanded every year. I had no idea I LOVED Herb Albert! Another great moment was when the fire alarm went off and all of us sleepy people came out of our rooms in our jammies, the guy from Herb was straight across from me on the 8th floor...just watching his reaction to the mayhem was priceless (I bet he comes back as a guest next year!) The Cult of the Eye igloo room party was amazing, so much went into that, the drinks were great and the decor was over the top, bravo. I bought a carved purse from DeTiki (I LOVE IT), we got our first matching vintage outfits, and bought CD's from every band. Mostly I love the people. We starting coming not knowing anyone. Now we have a whole crew of people we can't wait to see each year. Thanks Otto and Baby Doe, I can't imagine why you take on such a task each year, but I sure am glad you do. Only 346 days till Tiki Oasis 12!!

View Profile of Tikirose Send a personal message to Tikirose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-05 7:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-05 08:43, danlovestikis wrote:

I need this fellows name so I can send him the 6 photos I took at Swanky's terrific lecture on the Mai Kai...

That looks like TikiPug to me.

He's looking at the Mystery Bowl (??). I personally would be eyeballing Marina at that close range.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation