FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food who has dared to drink Lemon Hart 151 straight?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
who has dared to drink Lemon Hart 151 straight?
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-14 10:10 pm   Permalink

It tastes like ... burning

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 05:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-14 22:10, thePorpoise wrote:
It tastes like ... burning

I'm not surprised... I've only used it as a mixer. I figure that much alcohol content would pretty much render it unsuitable as a sipping rum.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 05:37 am   Permalink

Sip it! It's an experience!

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 06:00 am   Permalink

if getting a sore throat is an experience, then yes

(p.s. guilty as charged. i've drunk bacardi 151 straight too, just to see what it was like. you would have thought i had learned my lesson)

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-15 06:23 am   Permalink

Does it makes your cheeks crumple like melting cellophane?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 06:28 am   Permalink

you mean, like, on purpose?

Does someone offering you to taste their drink, not telling you it has a float, and you take a big swig off the top of the drink thereby getting most of the floater qualify for your question?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 07:03 am   Permalink

Once.

Only once.

Someone offered me a flask - thought they had pulled the bottle of Lemon Hart 80 & mistakenly grabbed the 151 to fill their flask with.

Just that little red triangle differentiating the two....is WAY too easy to do - have made that mistake at the store & brought home more 151 than planned.

Again, as mistake made only once.

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Potato.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 07:53 am   Permalink

I learned years ago, secondhand, that one shouldn't do so when my dorm roommate put some in his mouth and lit it on fire whilst spitting it out. Firebreathing 151. I decided at that point that 151 was a mixer.

View Profile of Potato. Send a personal message to Potato.  Goto the website of Potato.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 08:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-15 07:53, Potato. wrote:
I learned years ago, secondhand, that one shouldn't do so when my dorm roommate put some in his mouth and lit it on fire whilst spitting it out. Firebreathing 151. I decided at that point that 151 was a mixer.

ok, i need more details on this... did he burn himself? or anything?

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 09:49 am   Permalink

My tasting.

I have sipped them all. How else are you going to mix properly? Yes, I sipped Bacardi 151. But here is a tip: Sip and swirl and spit! It is the swallowing that hurts!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiknician

Posted: 2011-04-15 10:05 am   Permalink

Spit out LH 151? As hard as it was to find? Blasphemy! haha

I have only had it straight by sipping from the glass with it as a float.

My college 151 experience also involved Bacardi 151. I was playing blackjack with my roommate; the loser of each hand had to drink a flaming shot of 151. No sipping, no spitting, light it and down it.

I don't think we played too many hands. I had to lie down. I think it was about 6 pm. I was supposed to go to the midnight movie. I didn't make it. I haven't drunk 151 straight since and I don't really want to.

View Profile of tiknician Send a personal message to tiknician      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 10:55 am   Permalink

Swanky, have you had the Cruzan 151? it's amber, very smooth actually.

also, I've seen, but haven't sampled, a Gosling's dark 151...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-15 2:53 pm   Permalink

Tried the El Dorado 151 straight once when I visited LiesureMaster in NYC. Not a pleasant experience as the ED 151 is distilled clear and any smokey sweet goodness seems to be removed. Also tried the Cruzan 151 which was not as terrible but not a sipper by a long shot.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Potato.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 4:43 pm   Permalink

Nobody burned themselves. They just spit it out like a normal firebreather. I did not try it, though. Mostly because I wanted to keep my face and didn't want to risk it.

View Profile of Potato. Send a personal message to Potato.  Goto the website of Potato.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-15 6:12 pm   Permalink

Well, since the topic says "drink" I guess my answer is no. But I've sipped the LH151 and actually kinda enjoyed it straight. The thing about it is that it has A LOT of flavor, unlike a lot of clear overproofs that smell, taste, and burn like gasoline or rubbing alcohol.

Not to say I've sipped gasoline, but I did have to siphon the gas out of my car last week (don't ask).

There's a whole bunch of "boutique" blender labels (Silver Seal,
Samaroli, Moon Imports, Bristol Spirits, Cadenhead's, etc.) that sell higher proof demerara rums. Most are hard to get and expensive because they're aged in Europe from barrels shipped over after being distilled in Guyana. They're often in the 100-130 proof range, and often from just one particular still among those that ended up under Demerara Distillers (Enmore, Port Morant, Versailles, etc.). The blog "A Mountain of Crushed Ice" has a great series of posts about demerara rums in general, the El Dorado demeraras, and some of these boutique demerara releases - part 1 and part 2. I've tried a few of them, and it seems like there's a common family tree with LH151. But out of the overproof or "full proof" demeraras I've tried, I like the Lemon Hart best.

If you're VERY careful sipping it in tiny little puckered dribbles, you can enjoy it neat, with that very rich flavor. With the high proof and a tiny sip, it feels to me like a lot of it evaporates on my tongue before swallowing, and then just that little bit left over goes down not as harsh as expected. But then there's a little rush of warmth after the swallow. Stroh 80 (160 proof) has a similar combination of very rich flavor with the high proof, but it's a different flavor from the demeraras.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation