FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food who has dared to drink Lemon Hart 151 straight?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
who has dared to drink Lemon Hart 151 straight?
Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 7:52 pm   Permalink

I don't understand the complaints. It's VERY smooth rum for 151! Very sippable IMO.

View Profile of Kahuna Kevin Send a personal message to Kahuna Kevin  Email Kahuna Kevin Goto the website of Kahuna Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-17 1:27 pm   Permalink

Okay, I decided to give it a try. I took very tiny sips and held it in my mouth to let the burning subside before I swallowed. It was...interesting. The flavor was like burning woodchips that'd been extinguished in rubbing alcohol. I tried a sip of Wray and Nephew Overproof for comparison, and it tasted like just the rubbing alcohol.

I then made a Mai Tai and floated a half-ounce of LH 151 on top. Hands down the winner.

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2011-04-17 14:59 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-17 7:50 pm   Permalink

I'm with kahuna kevin. I have, I like it and I'll do it again. Not it's best use, though.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-18 05:01 am   Permalink

Goslings 151 tastes fine too. Although be careful not to make a 151 Dark and Stormy by mistake. Wondered why my head hurt the next day.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-18 1:49 pm   Permalink

In order to get through the Smuggler's Cove rum list, one must sip a full 2 ounces of LH151. So anyone wanting his/her name on the wall needs to (wo)man up and do it. Frankly, it's not that bad. As far as overproof rums go, it's the smoothest and most flavorful I've tasted. Yes, it's more tolerable mixed, but if you're looking for a quick buzz, there are worse ways to get one.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-19 10:32 am   Permalink

Next time pour some LH151 on the rocks and let it sit for a few minutes. It's surprisingly palatable and delicious that way.

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-20 7:31 pm   Permalink

I've tried Bacardi 151 a couple times. It's like siphoning gasoline, but not as pleasant.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-21 08:21 am   Permalink

As my friend Sparky learned me: If you're at a bar and you're lookin to get a buzz on a shot of 151 can be the best bang for your buck. If it's sipped it's fine. (I wouldn't recommend even sipping it to the amateur drinker.)

I didn't sip my last shot of 151 because I was using it as an improvised antiseptic mouth wash.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-21 09:25 am   Permalink

see- that incident WAS lucky-- it got you a free shot of 151! (what kind was it?)

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-28 7:26 pm   Permalink

I've tasted Bacardi 151. It had rum flavor in there, though was mostly fire. A friend has insisted that I'm wrong, that it has NO flavor, but I can taste it.

Might be blasphemy here, but... Stroh 80. Stroh is Austrian rum. It's sort of its own style of rum, with added flavorings, and it smells like a Butter Rum Life Saver. It has flavor with the fire. There are four varying strengths, denoted by number, and Stroh 80 is the highest at 160 proof. I was making a variant on a Spanish Coffee at a fantasy con room party this last week-end, and Spanish Coffee requires a sugar-rimmed glass, ignited with 151 to caramelize the sugar; I asked a bartender I know what to use besides basic 151 and he suggested Stroh, and then poured me a sample. It was killer potent, yet tasty. I bought Stroh instead because I thought it'd add more flavor to the drink, and it did - after burning for 15-20 seconds, some of the bite came off.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-30 11:41 am   Permalink

I just got a bottle after waiting for ages,Its very strong and best sipped very slowly,Im just about to try some now in fact!Last time i tried it at Kon Hemsbys bar my head hurt the next day

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation