[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Shag exhibit in Santa Monica
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Shag exhibit in Santa Monica
Tiki Baron
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-28 5:55 pm   Permalink

Is there a day or night that Tiki Central plans to be well represented at the Shag exhibit? Afterwards we can head over to Trader Vic's or Purple Orchid to discuss the paintings.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Baron on 2003-05-28 18:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Baron on 2003-05-28 18:42 ]

View Profile of Tiki Baron Send a personal message to Tiki Baron      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 6:04 pm   Permalink

not to change your subject braddah but is that an actuall Shag print or just like a postcard? I would really like to have that one. mahaloz for your time.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 6:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Tiki Baron wrote:
Is there a day or night that Tiki Central plans to be well represented....so that we can then head over to Trader Vic's or Purple Orchid?

Ummm...TikiBaron,
Is your question asking if any of us are going to the Shag Exhibition at the BGH Gallery in Santa Monica between May 31st and July 2nd(per Shag's website, although the BGH website says until July 6th), and then we can head over for some drinks to Trader Vic's and/or The Purple Orchid?

It's been a long day for me, so it took me a couple of reads to understand the post, so correct me if I'm wrong on the above assumption.

Gecko~the picture is a new Shag painting being displayed at the BGH Gallery.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Baron
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-28 6:34 pm   Permalink

Gecko -

Actually this new exhibit I believe is being called Shag A to Z. This Picture represents the letter T and the picture is called...none other than Tiki. I believe this is one of his newest paintings....I don't know if there will be a print of this one or not?

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Baron on 2003-05-28 18:34 ]

View Profile of Tiki Baron Send a personal message to Tiki Baron      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikichic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 7:57 pm   Permalink

Wearing jeans or a dress or a suit, I'll definitely be there! It looks like a pretty cool opening and the T original is pretty sweet. Actually all of them are with the exception of a couple that I wouldn't want to own if someone paid me. Just kidding......I talked to the gallery last week and they weren't ready for the overwhelming response to the show or the originals. They sold out rather quickly, as would be anticipated, but the gallery still didn't know if they'd be having any "show" prints.
I hope they do. Someone might put a "bug" in Shag's ear on opening night and ask him if they'll make "T" into a print. I asked about the "Red Phone" at Tiki Farms tiki bash last year and viola it was turned into a print. It doesn't mean my suggestion counted for anything, but at least Shag had an idea what people were asking for.
I'll see everyone there at the opening. I would recommend getting there early. If it's anything like the Brea exhibit, it will be a madhouse!

View Profile of tikichic Send a personal message to tikichic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 8:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-28 19:57, tikichic wrote:
I would recommend getting there early. If it's anything like the Brea exhibit, it will be a madhouse!

This is specifically why I didn't go on opening night. When I saw the Brea exhibition, I waited 2 wks for all the crowds to die down and went on a Wednesday afternoon. There was only 1 person other than me in the whole gallery that day - and he was an employee. It was great. I got to see the work at my own pace and really take in every detail.

Personally, I don't understand the need to go on opening night when the exhibit will be there for over a month. You don't get a very good opportunity to really look at the work because it gets too crowded. And after all, that's what an exhibit is about right?

Just my 2 cents...

Poly-Pop *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-05-28 20:04 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 8:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-28 20:03, PolynesianPop wrote:

This is specifically why I didn't go on opening night.

Opening nights suck, seems like it's just a bunch of hoity toity schmoozers and ner-do-wells more concerned with hob nobbing than with the art. I always try to miss the opening and show up when there is no one there and I can just walk around and actually take in all the art.

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikichic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 8:35 pm   Permalink

I agree that opening night will be crazy but it's kind of fun to go, shake hands with Shag, get your free "can of beer" and be off. At the Brea show, opening night was so crowded that I opted to go back a couple more times before the event ended so, like you Poly Pop, I could enjoy all the originals at my pace. It was nice and I'll probably do the same with this exhibit.
The only thing I don't like so far about this showing is that all the originals are 10" x 12". Kind of small for a Shag original, however when Shag needs to paint 26 originals for one show, I'm sure he doesn't have a lot of time to spend on each one. At least not as much time as a large one such as the Discerning Guests or something to that affect.
I'm still looking forward to the show. I hope the gallery can handle all of us. I still have nightmares about Copros exclusive prints from last year....That was the worst thing I've experienced yet!

View Profile of tikichic Send a personal message to tikichic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Boob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-28 10:16 pm   Permalink

What does BGH stand for?

View Profile of Boob Send a personal message to Boob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 10:39 pm   Permalink

I understand Shag drinks "Coors Light". I gotta apologize for that one.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-29 11:44 am   Permalink

According to BGH Gallery, besides the 26 originals shown on Shag's website for the show, there will also be a few other larger size originals on display. The descriptions of those other paintings sounded very cool. Personally, I love every painting in this show. Besides being ultra cool Shag's work has such a great sense of humor. Can't wait to see them all in person.

I'll definitely be at the opening on Saturday. It may be a little hoity toity but I've been to a few of his other opening receptions and it's always been a good time. Hope to see many of you there...

ModMana

[ This Message was edited by: modmana on 2003-05-29 15:36 ]

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-29 12:02 pm   Permalink

The gallery told me there were three commissioned works.

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-29 12:54 pm   Permalink

I'm going to try to make it out on Sunday, now that I hear about how crazy the opening night can turn out to be. I'll probably try to coordinate this with the mug release at Purple Orchard.

As it happens, I was lucky enough to purchase one of the originals during this show. I did have to let BGH know that I was interested way back in January.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikichic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-29 6:38 pm   Permalink

I knew there were 3 commissioned originals but wasn't sure if they were part of the A-Z set or will be slightly different. It will be interesting to see.
Regardless, I can't wait to go on Saturday. Anybody dressing up in their fez hats or tiki attire? ha

[ This Message was edited by: tikichic on 2003-06-13 00:23 ]

Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-29 7:55 pm   Permalink

So what letter of Shag
were you able to snag?

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation