FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Maikai Gents Free Show and Worldwide Webcast June 4
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Maikai Gents Free Show and Worldwide Webcast June 4
Iuka Grogg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 6:42 pm   Permalink

Aloha, Friends!

Please join us Wednesday June 4 as we beam our show live to all the world! You have two ways to see us:

1. Come out and be part of our fabulous live audience. The show is FREE, starts at 9:00PM and will be at
Kulak's Woodshed
5230-1/2 Laurel Canyon Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91607
818-766-9913
There will be live music before us, so arrive early. We'll begin performing at 9:00 Pacific Standard Time. The club interior will feature tikis by Dawna (Tikifille)! There will be some camera shots of the audience, so be sure to dress in your finest aloha attire.

2. Relax in the comfort of your home tiki lounge, log on to the worldwide web and enjoy our show live on your very own home computer. Here's how: Go to
www.kulakswoodshed.com and click on the upper left-hand corner where it says "click for FREE 24/7 video webcast." That's it! So if you're in Italy beach-bumming around, or England studying architecture, or Rochester doing your thing, or even Oahu carving tikis, you can still swoon to our old-time Hawaiian crooning. Pass this info along to all your pals around the globe who will enjoy the blissful sounds of Hawaii's golden yesteryears.

Of course, if you're in the area we would love for you to come out and join us in person. We'll have souvenirs, sing-alongs, audience participation tippling and all sorts of fun. Plus, we like to see your smiling faces!

-The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa

p.s. If you'd like to hear the report on tiki culture that featured our music and aired on public radio a few weeks ago here are the links (Thanks again to reporter Alex Cohen for including us in her report):

Here's the link to the story as it aired on The California Report, scroll down to May 9 and click on "Tiki Culture Makes a Comeback". This featured less of our music and more of Iuka Grogg.
http://www.kqed.org/programs/program-archive.jsp?progID=RD8&ResultStart=1&ResultCount=10&type=radio

Here's the link to the story as it aired on All Things Considered. This featured more music and less Grogg.
http://discover.npr.org/features/feature.jhtml?wfId=1259540

www.mkgents.com

View Profile of Iuka Grogg Send a personal message to Iuka Grogg  Email Iuka Grogg Goto the website of Iuka Grogg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 6:49 pm   Permalink

FREE?! That's all you had to say!

SEE YOU THERE!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 9:15 pm   Permalink

you ain't said nuthin' but a word!!!

that means I'll be there

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifille
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-29 12:39 am   Permalink

I hope I can be there. If I do make it or not, Poly Pop uumm.. this falls under the huge favor category...I live 4.87 minutes from the event (per mapquest) either way I will need help bringing home my tikis. If I'm there I just need muscle. If I'm not there I need a delivery. PM me if you're game. Per the hostess, they won't be too big because she and I have to get them there. Thanks, Dawna

View Profile of tikifille Send a personal message to tikifille      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iuka Grogg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-03 2:49 pm   Permalink

Aloha, All!

If you happen to watch our show via your computer, drop us an e-mail and let us know how it went (technically).
mkgents@yahoo.com Did the audio and video come through? Was it jerky or smooth? Were you able to e-mail requests? Etc, etc, etc... This is our first webcast and although we're not handling any of the technical side, we'd like to know how it went for you, the home viewer. If you come in person to see us, you can give us feedback on body/breath odor(should smell naturally of coconuts), beverage quality, shoes tied properly, etc, etc, etc... Mahalo and see you soon!

Iuka Grogg

View Profile of Iuka Grogg Send a personal message to Iuka Grogg  Email Iuka Grogg Goto the website of Iuka Grogg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnievelour
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-04 02:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-06-03 14:49, Iuka Grogg wrote:

If you come in person to see us, you can give us feedback on body/breath odor(should smell naturally of coconuts)

I'll try to be there to let you know that you stink!

View Profile of johnnievelour Send a personal message to johnnievelour  Email johnnievelour Goto the website of johnnievelour     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-04 08:08 am   Permalink

I am planing on tunin' into the ether to catch the show. Kulak's seems like it has a pretty cool audio/video set-up workin'. I hope it goes smoothly on all sides. Be sure to tell the cameraman to fill the lens with plenty of tikifille's carvings from time to time. All you folks in the audience be sure to smile when the camera is aiming at you. No monkey business though!
Big bro may really be watchin!
Chongolio

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hanalei_Pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-04 09:38 am   Permalink

I'm goin to have to start packing clothes in my trunk - just found out about this and no time to run home and change after work - gonna be in the area over at El Coyote so I'll try and talk my friend into swinging by - you cant miss me - I'll be the one in all black....

View Profile of Hanalei_Pirate Send a personal message to Hanalei_Pirate  Goto the website of Hanalei_Pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iuka Grogg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-04 3:21 pm   Permalink

Fair warning:
I've just found out that Kulak's is an unlicensed establishment. This means that it's a tea and coffe kind of joint. Of course, I would never recommend airplane bottles or flasks or the like, especially to this group of moderates. Chikitiki take heed: Perhaps a good opportunity to bring along some of your fab flasks to sell. You may get some deperates if you pre-fill 'em. I write this not to discourage anyone from coming to the show, only to encourage your creativity... wink wink.

SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-04 9:11 pm   Permalink

I'm watching the live broadcast right now, which is starting with someone singing karaoke music (not exotica/tropical/hawaiian). It sounds like she has a good voice, but the audio is way over-saturated through the internet! Looks like fun so far.....

I can't wait to see the MK Gents in another 45 minutes!

Oh, and there's maybe (guessing) about a dozen people there. The video is good since it's not a still camera, but a very smooth roving camera. I can see Iuka Grog relaxing and I can hear Tikifille's(?) laugh. The tikis she has there are awesome! Damn, the woman can carve!

I'm sure more people will arrive just before 9 pm.

VoyeurCaddyDaddy

SugarCaddyDaddy's Schedule of Stuff!

[ This Message was edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2003-06-04 21:17 ]

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-04 9:19 pm   Permalink

Hey, I'm watching it too, she has a great singing voice, very nice. I don't know if it's my speakers but the sound is a little fuzzy. The video is clear.
Now I'm having transmission problems, looks like a tiki fell on her.
My bad. I clicked on the slower modem speed and the transmission is much betta'.

[ This Message was edited by: jungletrader on 2003-06-04 21:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: jungletrader on 2003-06-04 21:24 ]

[ This Message was edited by: jungletrader on 2003-06-04 21:32 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-04 9:42 pm   Permalink

For those watching on Windows Media Player:

Go to the top of the Windows Media Toolbar,
Click on "View"
Then "Enhancements",
Then "Graphic Equalizer",

Roll off (lower) the bottom end (31hz) and increase the top end (16khz) and the sound won't be as distorted. Play around with the EQ and you can actually pick up everyones conversations!

Hope this helps

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-04 9:53 pm   Permalink

I'm watching at 300K, actually like 500k, and it's crystal clear video, but I can't get the audio just right, there's that buzz, metallic quality...
They should investigate Realplayer streaming, as I've noticed all streaming on WindowsMedia sounds tinny.

What a remarkable place... has that real post-apocalyptic look about it! Cool!

[ This Message was edited by: kahukini on 2003-06-04 21:54 ]

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-04 10:05 pm   Permalink

Iuka read my email on the show seconds after I wrote it! too cool! (I'm Ford, btw)

[ This Message was edited by: kahukini on 2003-06-04 22:09 ]

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-04 10:51 pm   Permalink

that was cool!!!!!

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation