FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Progress report: The Spectacular East Indies Room!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Progress report: The Spectacular East Indies Room!
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 7:16 pm   Permalink

Well, I've broken ground on starting The Spectacular East Indies Room! I thought I'd document my work here until the official opening on August 23rd. The space I'm working with is half of a detached 2 car garage. Great place for the bar, as the side door faces out to the pool.

Here's an artist rendering of my goals (thanks to my nephew for the artwork):

Here is what I'm starting with:

So far I've got the wiring roughed in and the elevated subfloor installed. Next comes framing for the new walls & ceiling, and more wiring! Dang, I wish I just had an empty room in the house to convert!

Next progress photos in 1 week!

visit Traderpup.com

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 8:28 pm   Permalink

That drawing is so cute, please frame it and hang it in your completed room. You sound like quite the handy man, good work and good luck with the rest!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 8:45 pm   Permalink

I just wish I had a basement to remodel.

Best of luck, Traderpup. Can't wait for the updates.

-JTD
(in the land of the slab)

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 10:23 pm   Permalink

If it ends up looking anything like Tyler's concept sketch, it'll be beeeyuuuutiful. I can't wait to see it!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 11:23 pm   Permalink

I just wish I had a home...

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-05-29 09:15 am   Permalink

Spike,

You can live in my Tiki Bar/Band Practice area!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-29 2:38 pm   Permalink

take your time and enjoy. It's gon be lotsa fun once da bamboo starts goin up.

aloha

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-29 3:20 pm   Permalink

Hey, Pup, that's the best pre-viz drawing ever! I'm looking forward to your updates. As soon as I get some time off, we're tiki-fying our small front yard. I can't wait.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-29 11:24 pm   Permalink

I can already see it Puppy! Let me know if y'all need an extra hand.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-30 07:22 am   Permalink

Good mana on that....It'll be a very enjoyable thing to have around. You have OA very close, too, and that makes materials a heck of a lot easier.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-30 6:44 pm   Permalink

Ooooooh! I look forward to seeing the progress. I love changing and creating new things too...you DO sound like quite the handyman.

I'm working on creating a tiki bar in the basement and continue the drudgery of dealing with clutter. (insert big :::: sigh ::::: here). My must-have-it-done date is August 9th. I want to get to the fun part...the creating!

Loved your nephew's drawing...hope to see more pics!

View Profile of Exoticat Send a personal message to Exoticat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-03 12:58 pm   Permalink

Progress report, week 2:

I've adopted an acronym identity for the construction process: The SEIR Project - The future of backyard Polynesia.

The pool filter system is located in the garage. I've built a utility room for it, with sound reduction insulation. Huge noise difference! The sagging rafters were leveled and supports installed.

Work will now start on the false bamboo beam roof, a big challenge trying to work in the existing rafters into the design. I'm also starting the rails around the lounge, a combination of redwood and bamboo. I have lots of vintage tapa cloth on its way for the walls, and soon Oceanic Arts will be a frequent stop for me!

Progress is going much faster than I expected, I'll be able to spend more time on decor, as long as budget doesn't run out....

visit Traderpup.com

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-11 4:42 pm   Permalink

Progress Report, week 3:

Wiring, done! roof framing, done! Started hanging drywall, decided to wait on building the rails for a week or so, so I have some more room to work. It is actually starting to look like something other than just a space in the garage, though not yet Tikified...

visit Traderpup.com

Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-06-11 6:34 pm   Permalink

TraderDawg,

I dig how you did the ends of the rafters over the bar area!

You're raising garage tiki bars to a whole new level (damn you!).

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-11 6:36 pm   Permalink

I wish I had metal and woodshop in High School, but nooooooooooo, I had to go to a Catholic school that had religion classes instead of shop classes. UUUUGGGGH!

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation