FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Have We Just Experienced the Latest Wave of a Tiki Resurgence, and resulting Devolution?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Have We Just Experienced the Latest Wave of a Tiki Resurgence, and resulting Devolution?
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 10:58 am   Permalink

With BigBroTiki's indulgence, albeit without his permission, I will use his iconic Tiki - polynesian pop chronology to raise the question as to whether the new millennium heralded a resurgence of Tiki, which quickly, and predictably, resulting in a devolution of Tiki.

TIKI ASCENDANCY WITH THE NEW MILLINNIUM

2000 - Venetian Las Vegas invests in & opens Taboo Cove and Venus
http://www.tikibosko.com/taboo_cove_story.html

2000 - Book of Tiki is published

2002 - The Purple Orchid in El Segundo Opens

2002 - 2nd printing of the Book of Tiki

2002 - Tiki's in Waikiki opens

TIKI PEAKS AND DEVOLUTION BEGINS - A MERE 4 YEARS LATER

2004 - Tiki @ Target Watered down Tiki for the masses

2004 - More watered down Tiki @ Big Lots

2005 - Taboo Cove closes

2009 - A bad year for Waikiki. The neoTiki "Holokai Grill" in the new Waikiki Beach Walk development, the Hawiiana Hotel, and the last Spencecliff showroom, the amazing Hawaiian Hut,all close. Except for La Mariana, and the scattered Tikis in the gardens at the Royal Hawaiian and the IMP, the link to the 50s is severed.

Hawaiiana Hotel (temporarily escaping the wrecking ball - possibly a dorm)

Hawaiian Hut:

2010 - Mr. Tiki Mai Tai Lounge in San Diego closes

2010 - Drift in Scottsdale closes

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 11:04 am   Permalink

i blame BigToe.....

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 11:14 am   Permalink

time line seems kinda off to me.
the resurgence of tiki started in early 1990's

but most didn't know about it till much later.
I caught wind of it around 1996.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 11:21 am   Permalink

Tiki peaked in 2004 ?? !! I disagree, since then we've had...

1. Forbidden Island
2. Don the Beachcomber in Sunset Beach
3. The revitalized Tonga Hut playing in the Tiki big leagues
4. Trader Vic's Downtown LA
5. Smuggler's Cove
6. Frankie's Tiki Room
7. Tiki-No
8. Tiki Caliente
9. Mojave Oasis !!
10. Upcoming Tiki bars at Clifton's Cafeteria and a Bamboo Ben project in Hollywood

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-04-23 11:23 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-04-23 11:24 am   Permalink

When I got married in 1989 the reception was at the Don the Beachcomber in Marina del Rey. I like to think that that helped to kick off the early 90's revival. Well at least for me it did.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 11:35 am   Permalink

I'd say bars and restaurants of all stripes have been dropping like flies during the recession.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 12:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-23 11:21, JOHN-O wrote:

1. Forbidden Island
5. Smuggler's Cove
6. Frankie's Tiki Room
7. Tiki-No
8. Tiki Caliente
9. Mojave Oasis !!
10. Upcoming Tiki bars at Clifton's Cafeteria and a Bamboo Ben project in Hollywood

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-04-23 11:23 ]

And don't forget the scores of Trader Vic's that came & went in the last 6 or 7 years.

Not to mention all of the events that now take place, more artists now making a living selling and producing tiki influenced art and mugs, mugs and more mugs, vintage items have skyrocketed in price and are much harder to find..I'm no expert at what these trends indicate but I'm not convinced the tiki resurgence has officially "peaked." Good discussion.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 12:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-23 11:21, JOHN-O wrote:

1. Forbidden Island
5. Smuggler's Cove
6. Frankie's Tiki Room
7. Tiki-No
8. Tiki Caliente
9. Mojave Oasis !!

Good points, but I don't think they carry the day.

True, I love that we now have had Forbidden Island and Trader Vic's Emeryville, Smmugler's Cove, the Conga Room, and the Kona Club - and wish they were around when I went to Cal! (although I did hit the Tonga Room on occasion) However, the collective mana of all of these was not strong enough to save Trader Vics SF which returned from the ashes, only to be shuttered, once again. Similarly, the Grand Dame Tonga Room has barely escaped the chopping block with the assistance of union support, thank god, but one has to wonder about its long term viability. And, if the Tonga Room even would be considered for demolition, nothing is sacred.

Certainly, TCers have done there best to keep the Tiki torch burning bright, with Caliente, etc., but, again, the very hotel where it was initially held, the Hanalei Red Lion in Airport Circle became de-Tikified in 2004, despite TC's best efforts. Again, the mana was not strong enough.

Red Lion before 2004:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFXHwMEBxFM

The renovated, i.e, de-Tikified Red Lion (now Crowne) after 2004:

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-04-23 12:52 pm   Permalink

GROG think we're still riding the Tiki resurgence wave. GROG tried to start the devolution of tiki by having the Tiki Bob art show. Let's desecrate oneof tikis icons. But, everybody loved the idea, and artists produced some nice stuff, so GROG plan backfire. But, GROG not finished yet.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 1:22 pm   Permalink

What's missing is Donn. Seriously. Where is he?

He was the party man who thought like my father....Damn it to Hell, I am going to buy a Harley, ride to California, sell it and make my way to Tahiti and dance with the natives.

It's the South Pacific. It's "Some Enchanted Evening". It's Bloody Mary.

Tiki is a statue. The islands he guarded were Paradise!

That's what is still missing.

And it isn't found under a dashboard light.

It's found in places like Don the Beachcombers in Sunset Beach.

It's found in places like Trader Vics in Scottsdale of all places.

It's found oddly enough, in the tikiless Tommy Bahamas on the balcony overlooking the Coachella Valley. (Unless you've been there under our blue skies and seen the blanket of palm trees that is the valley, your criticisms will fall on deaf ears - this isn't the crappy Newport Beach establishment).

I like my puffer fish, my tikis, my Japanese fishing globes, etc, as much as the next person. But what I really like is a place that for me is an island amongst the storm of life.

That's what tiki protects and offers to me.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-04-23 2:07 pm   Permalink

So, anyway, back to GROG bringing on the devolution of Tiki.

For instance, GROG has the "WANGAROAN" mug series planned.

Thanks to Squid for suggesting making the head a lid with a straw hole.

All of these drawings were drawn on the computer with a mouse which is why they are so rough, but GROG was just getting the idea down, not the final design.
Most of these were drawn several years ago.

P.S. Copyright Ernie Keen you bastards, so don't steal GROG' ideas.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2011-04-23 14:13 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 2:31 pm   Permalink

I think you bring up some good examples of Tiki retreating , but I believe there has been more than enough new growth to say Tiki has not peaked. It's just at a more mature and sustainable incline of growth. There are two ways of measuring the 'movement'. Either by commercial expansion of bars and restaurants or by grass roots interest measured by events, small business projects, and artist involvement. Right now the economy is not so good for all bars and restaurants. Even when times are good, establishments come and go like clockwork. Old places, regardless of die hard fans, only survive with a steady flow of customers that may or may not come just because it's a cool Tiki place. New places, unless they really know what they're doing, keep it simple, and have a laser focus on their market(Forbidden Island?), are taking the risk of any themed establishment trying to break out of the pack. And the figure I've always heard was that 50% or more of all independent restaurants/bars don't last a year. Seems to me there have been more new places making it rather than not making it. And there's no such thing as a new old place so just staying open is it's own success. It's then a matter of judging whether old places are closing faster than normal and if new places are opening, and staying open, to see if there's a net gain. And I think there has been.

My view is that this Tiki stuff has gotten past the initial fast run up fad with the hipsters, is minimally cruising with the pop market selling cheap swag, and is now in a more mature phase where important restaurants and bars have settled in for the long haul. Public recognition of Tiki is solid and a demographic is now reliably set. More serious commercial expansion will take place because of it. If events like Tiki Oasis are any indicator, the now average Tiki head is white, middle-class, around 40, and has disposable income that they spend regularly on their Tiki hobby. This demographic is settled and very loyal to their interests and I fully expect to see them, and Tiki, age together for longer than 30 years. The interest isn't tightly tied to a specific time and place the way Tiki initially was for post war vets and for people experiencing new air travel adventures to a new exotic 50th state.

Tiki is continuing to grow in popularity (Tiki Oasis, Hukilau, Ohana, Tiki Calente, Tiki Mojave, The Detroit Home and Tiki Show, etc.) has more serious fans("Ummm,I forgot dude. What is everyone else piercing this week that I have to do too??"), and has people with more money to spend. And as the economy picks up you'll see a lot more restaurant and bar growth.

It's here to stay for a long time and hasn't seen it's best days yet.
Now I'm just waiting for TIKI-CON to get it's slot on the Las Vegas convention calendar by 2015.

Classic Velvets
by Song Shen

View Profile of Okolehao Send a personal message to Okolehao  Goto the website of Okolehao     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 2:32 pm   Permalink

Grog, those are GREAT! I have been baffled that for all these years, despite the fact that the Book of Tiki defined the Tiki as a phallus symbol, NOBODY has done much with that concept! Likewise, I got close to NO reaction to my recent concept that the TIKI REVIVER cocktail contained an aphrodisiac to revive your own Tiki!

C'mon folks, it's not the prude 50s/60s anymore, these are great opportunities to PLAY! Tikiphiles are not exactly asexual, politically correct good-taste preservers, last time I looked.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 2:49 pm   Permalink

I already carved a 4 foot penis and a 6 footer, how many more and how big do you want them?

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 2:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-23 14:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
Grog, those are GREAT! I have been baffled that for all these years, despite the fact that the Book of Tiki defined the Tiki as a phallus symbol, NOBODY has done much with that concept! Likewise, I got close to NO reaction to my recent concept that the TIKI REVIVER cocktail contained an aphrodisiac to revive your own Tiki!

C'mon folks, it's not the prude 50s/60s anymore, these are great opportunities to PLAY! Tikiphiles are not exactly asexual, politically correct good-taste preservers, last time I looked.

Not the 50s/60s anymore... For someone interested in the golden age of tiki that seems a bit odd to point out.

And were our tiki-hucksters anything near shy about their love of sexuality? If I remember correctly, didn't Trader Vic just now start covering up it's maidens on its menus?

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation