FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Have We Just Experienced the Latest Wave of a Tiki Resurgence, and resulting Devolution?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Have We Just Experienced the Latest Wave of a Tiki Resurgence, and resulting Devolution?
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 9:14 pm   Permalink

Some things were never meant for publication.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 9:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-23 12:52, GROG wrote:
GROG think we're still riding the Tiki resurgence wave. GROG tried to start the devolution of tiki by having the Tiki Bob art show. Let's desecrate oneof tikis icons. But, everybody loved the idea, and artists produced some nice stuff, so GROG plan backfire. But, GROG not finished yet.

I have helped speed Tiki devolution myself, as my car is rarely without one of these:

Although, these were post 2004.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2011-04-23 21:18 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 11:19 pm   Permalink

Can someone get rid of those spam/repeat posts on the previous page, please?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 11:52 pm   Permalink

JOHN-O wrote:

Tiki peaked in 2004 ?? !! I disagree, since then we've had...

1. Forbidden Island
2. Don the Beachcomber in Sunset Beach
3. The revitalized Tonga Hut playing in the Tiki big leagues
4. Trader Vic's Downtown LA
5. Smuggler's Cove
6. Frankie's Tiki Room
7. Tiki-No
8. Tiki Caliente
9. Mojave Oasis !!
10. Upcoming Tiki bars at Clifton's Cafeteria and a Bamboo Ben project in Hollywood

Also there's a Tiki Jeep. (Dunno if anyone's mentioned it anywhere on Tiki Central.)

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-24 12:30 am   Permalink

The main stream Tiki stuff, especially the cheap swag shown, supports my earlier comments. Modern Tiki has taken root (not just one season) in the pop culture which is an indication that there is a more serious/dedicated fan base underneath that is here to stay in one form or another. It reminds me a lot of the classic car scene. For decades there have been the pop images of hot rods and the 50's 'Happy Days' nostalgia thing. All fluff. But there is a real classic car culture with fans who are VERY serious about their hobby, which definitely is not a passing fad. And if their model can be applied to Tiki Culture, as the fans get older (I still think the main demographic is not of young people) they'll have more disposable income and will be spending more money on the hobby. More carving, more mugs, more art, and my biggest hope, more quality bars and restaurants.

BTW: The slow growth of Tiki, which started out almost 15 years ago, means it hasn't been a fad. Fads come on quick and die just as quickly. The long progression of Tiki Culture's development means it is something with roots that will continue to grow. Can I hear and Amen?

Classic Velvets
by Song Shen

View Profile of Okolehao Send a personal message to Okolehao  Goto the website of Okolehao     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-04-24 12:58 am   Permalink

Sure, there may have been more Tiki bars and restaurants in the first Tiki movement, but this time around we have so much more. We have a message forum which basically created a Tiki community; several books about Tiki and Tiki mugs; a Tiki magazine; new bars and some old bars and restaurants that have survived from the first round that are enjoying a newly revitalized popularity; people mixing and creating drinks specifically for Tiki enthusiasts without the stigma of the drinks being "girly drinks"; musicians creating and performing music specifically for Tiki enthusiasts; media such as cartoons like Sponge Bob that contain Tiki imagery; podcasts of exotica; Tiki Bar TV on the internet; a multitude of artists specifically creating Tiki art and art galleries featuring their art; mug makers specifically making Tiki mugs and collectors who collect them; a number of large events that celebrate Tiki with bands, Tiki art vendors, musicians, room crawls, and event mugs; talented and skilled artists building and creating new Tiki bars; and plenty of home bars. Plus,now Tiki is in so many other countries besides America. You can go to Tiki bars in Europe, Asia, Norway, Australia, etc. Some Tiki bars/restaurants may be closing, but others are opening. No devolution here. We're riding a wave that hasn't crested.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-04-24 01:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

We're riding a wave that hasn't crested.

I'm with you Grog on that wave and really don't EVER see it ending.... I think it will always just keep going and keep going kinda like those waves you can surf here..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_2g6uTDb0&feature=player_embedded#at=43

LONG LIVE TIKI!!!! with all it's up and downs...

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-24 02:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-24 00:58, GROG wrote:
Sure, there may have been more Tiki bars and restaurants in the first Tiki movement, but this time around we have so much more. We have a message forum which basically created a Tiki community; several books about Tiki and Tiki mugs; a Tiki magazine; new bars and some old bars and restaurants that have survived from the first round that are enjoying a newly revitalized popularity; people mixing and creating drinks specifically for Tiki enthusiasts without the stigma of the drinks being "girly drinks"; musicians creating and performing music specifically for Tiki enthusiasts; media such as cartoons like Sponge Bob that contain Tiki imagery; podcasts of exotica; Tiki Bar TV on the internet; a multitude of artists specifically creating Tiki art and art galleries featuring their art; mug makers specifically making Tiki mugs and collectors who collect them; a number of large events that celebrate Tiki with bands, Tiki art vendors, musicians, room crawls, and event mugs; talented and skilled artists building and creating new Tiki bars; and plenty of home bars. Plus,now Tiki is in so many other countries besides America. You can go to Tiki bars in Europe, Asia, Norway, Australia, etc. Some Tiki bars/restaurants may be closing, but others are opening. No devolution here. We're riding a wave that hasn't crested.

Great points Ernie!
I think any sign of Devolution is in where the mainstream folks cash in on trends and create products for the masses that don't quite "get it"...I think of these big box store chains as false ambassadors to our Paradise.
and yet...
Mainstream is a double-edged sword.....it makes cheesey items for Pic-n-Save and Big Lots,but it also expands the numbers of people who have been attracted to Poly-pop and Tiki,but hadn't known where to find it....
Of course,with any expanding "fan base",there will be the gems
those inspired,gifted folks who truly contribute to the scene
and of course,
the others,
who are just here for the party,be it Tiki or Pirate or Zombie or whatever theme an event celebrates.
I imagine both are valid in some sense
but it's those new carvers,artists,mixologists,and musicians who gives us true tiki soldiers
that joy and happiness!
Thank heaven there's communities like these and guidebooks like Sven's literary and visual historical tomes
to educate all of us,oldies and newbies,properly...
What a great thread!
except that spam on the last page....

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-24 09:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-23 23:52, woofmutt wrote:
JOHN-O wrote:

1. Forbidden Island
5. Smuggler's Cove
6. Frankie's Tiki Room
7. Tiki-No
8. Tiki Caliente
9. Mojave Oasis !!
10. Upcoming Tiki bars at Clifton's Cafeteria and a Bamboo Ben project in Hollywood

Also there's a Tiki Jeep. (Dunno if anyone's mentioned it anywhere on Tiki Central.)

The Tiki Jeep is an excellent example of Tiki ascendancy!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-24 09:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-24 00:30, Okolehao wrote:
The main stream Tiki stuff, especially the cheap swag shown, supports my earlier comments. Modern Tiki has taken root (not just one season) in the pop culture which is an indication that there is a more serious/dedicated fan base underneath that is here to stay in one form or another. It reminds me a lot of the classic car scene. For decades there have been the pop images of hot rods and the 50's 'Happy Days' nostalgia thing. All fluff. But there is a real classic car culture with fans who are VERY serious about their hobby, which definitely is not a passing fad. And if their model can be applied to Tiki Culture, as the fans get older (I still think the main demographic is not of young people) they'll have more disposable income and will be spending more money on the hobby. More carving, more mugs, more art, and my biggest hope, more quality bars and restaurants.

BTW: The slow growth of Tiki, which started out almost 15 years ago, means it hasn't been a fad. Fads come on quick and die just as quickly. The long progression of Tiki Culture's development means it is something with roots that will continue to grow. Can I hear and Amen?

Amen on this Easter Sunday!

RhumStorm

Posted: 2011-04-24 4:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-23 11:21, JOHN-O wrote:

1. Forbidden Island
5. Smuggler's Cove
6. Frankie's Tiki Room
7. Tiki-No
8. Tiki Caliente
9. Mojave Oasis !!

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-04-23 11:23 ]

Exactly! As long as individuals take the path akin to Martin Cate we will never see a devolution of Tiki. I'd rather have pure-Tiki than faddish watered-down mass-produced tiki. I do not know if Tiki has the ability to "scale" due to the general populace and quality issues. I mean if Martinique/Demarara (i.e. quality!) rums do not matter to an individual I don't understand what keeps that person coming back. Also, the smaller Tiki bars can maintain very tight quality control and it takes time to create a very good Beach Bum Berry researched worthy drink. There is a commitment and mind-set that comes with Tiki so... I wish it would scale though! !!!

Having lived in Alameda, CA for 8 years I consider myself lucky to have built an appreciation for quality Tiki culture. Fortunately, business trips take me back frequently to the epicenter of Tiki culture. Every trip starts and ends with stops in Bay Area pure-Tiki bars.

RhumStorm

P.S. If there are any Tiki purists in NC let me know. I'd like to talk about your workarounds due to state control. Modern day rum-runners have been getting me the quality Demararas/Haitian/Martinique, etc (as well as me packing 5 liters worth of Rum in my bags whenever I am on a business trip to states w/o state control of liquor!).

View Profile of RhumStorm Send a personal message to RhumStorm  Email RhumStorm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 03:03 am   Permalink

I don't know enough to add much to this thread. But isn't it a bit unique that this tiki movement, or whatever you want to call it, includes not only collecting artifacts, studying history, creating new art, but also the expectation that others will open and maintain bars/restaurants devoted to the movement.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 05:20 am   Permalink

it's kinda like mid century modern style furniture and collectables...... it's always been cool, always been in the undercurrent though it goes in and out of fashion in the mainstream.

- in the 70's, after the movie grease came out and happy days aired on t.v., , 50's stuff was popular for a short time as well as a brief moment in the early 80's (many designers borrowed from 50's style in the 80's) and then again in the mid 90's.

people have collected it for decades and the prices fluctuated depending on if it was in or out of fashion at a partiular time. In the late 80's i found tons of mid century stuff really cheap where ever i went..... no one wanted lucite swag lamps, 50's lamp shades and such but by the mid 90's, it became highly collectable again and the prices shot up for the stuff. even today prices on some of it never went down. probably due to ebay and such where now everyone lookin to make a buck has tuned in and this keeps prices up and steady... plus the style crosses so many trend boundaries ( tiki, rockabilly, mod) that it appeals to more than one group.

i guess what i am saying is that tiki will go in and out of fashion over the years. It will bubble up into the main stream with each new generation of enthusiasts and then subside, but the undercurrent will always be there in some capacity....it will always have that sense of nostalgic coolness about it much the same way mid century stuff and vintage cars are now. It's amearican, it's pop culture.... and stuff like that is here to stay. which is good news for artists and designers as there will always be a market for our art in some capacity.

newbies will find tiki, they will buy the mass produced stuff cause they don't know any better at first, then as their interest in tiki deepens, and their knowledge of tiki broadens (thanks to sven and his books, among other things) they will reject most of the mass produced newer stuff and tune into the vintage side of it.

some will ultimately treat it as a passing fad and be into it for a short time and then retreat to something else..... but those that are hooked are in for the long haul.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 07:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-25 03:03, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
I don't know enough to add much to this thread. But isn't it a bit unique that this tiki movement, or whatever you want to call it, includes not only collecting artifacts, studying history, creating new art, but also the expectation that others will open and maintain bars/restaurants devoted to the movement.

Excellent point, which does suggest Tiki remains in the ascendancy, post 2004, even as some restaurants come, and too many go.

Trader Vics did heavily invest in opening at LA Live, as a theme venue.
The only other theme venues @ LA Live are Conga Room, a latin theme, and ESPN Zone, sort of a Dave&Buster's theme.

Alternatively, Polynesian cuisine could be considered its own genre like Chinese or Indian, yet these are linked to an ethnic group, whereas Tiki does not necessarily equate to Pacific Islander. If anything, the waitresses wear Chinese-inspired gowns, and the menu has such Chinese mainstays as Kung Pao Chicken.

However, instead of a pair of Dragons, or Pandas, there are a pair of Tiki Diablo's giant Tikis to draw in prospective customers.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2011-04-25 07:22 ]

trutiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-25 08:02 am   Permalink

From its inception hasn't Tiki been essentially cultural tourism for the masses? It was all based on adding fun and novelty to an otherwise ordinary existence. The consumer ephemera whether it is art, vintage, handcrafted or mass produced, just serves to revive in the person who creates it or procures it a trace memory of an experience or feeling. It is neo luddite to define change as dilution and to hold oneself apart as somehow being "not of the mass" or as being more worthy because one resists the new. We are not static creatures. We continually bring into our dwellings and our doings bits and pieces from our travels through time.

On the other hand it is good that there are those whose scholarship and experience has created a pivoting point for all other growth. Isn't the idea of a time "line" an insufficient method of understanding current cultural trends? Now we have convergence and horizontalization where people collaborate across boundaries to add value, creation or innovation. Used to be we were a top-down society with cultural mantras delivered to disciples who would further the cause and keep the message pure.

This type of discussion and the continual categorization of information is invaluable to fortifying the fulcrum. Lamenting the gentrification of the neighborhood isn't.

[ This Message was edited by: trutiki 2011-04-25 08:03 ]

View Profile of trutiki Send a personal message to trutiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation