FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Have We Just Experienced the Latest Wave of a Tiki Resurgence, and resulting Devolution?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Have We Just Experienced the Latest Wave of a Tiki Resurgence, and resulting Devolution?
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 07:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-23 11:21, JOHN-O wrote:
10. Upcoming Tiki bars at Clifton's Cafeteria and a Bamboo Ben project in Hollywood

Clifton's Pacific Seas is reopening after 50+ years?!??! Or is it Clifton's Brookdale, the one that was just sold, the one with the Redwoods theme?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 07:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-23 14:07, GROG wrote:
For instance, GROG has the "WANGAROAN" mug series planned.

Round the bottom of the mug and put a weight in it so it's self righting; "WANGAROAN's might wobble, but your drink won't fall down!"

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 09:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-02 07:48, freddiefreelance wrote:
Clifton's Pacific Seas is reopening after 50+ years?!??! Or is it Clifton's Brookdale, the one that was just sold, the one with the Redwoods theme?

The latter. They're planning on building a "Tiki" bar on the 3rd-level. We've discussed it here...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=19060&forum=2

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
porco
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-27 12:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-25 09:05, bigbrotiki wrote:

This stems from the fact that Tiki style is, as far as I can see, the only pop culture that was firmly based on restaurant decor. It was the restaurants who introduced Tiki images to the people on a larger scale. It was the restaurants who had the money to go all out in the style, and thus inspired people to build their own backyard or downstairs Polynesias, and it was the restaurants that made developers utilize concepts like waterfalls, Tiki torches, and Tiki support posts for apartment buildings and motels. Only when that happened did Tiki become a pop genre BEYOND restaurants - but it is they who were the inventors of the style's language.

And here-in lies the crux and the contradiction for 21st Century Tiki restaurants: We want them to have the old classic Tiki temple decor, but we don't want to eat that ol' Chinese MSG glob there anymore. They have to come up with a Pacific rim modern version of that cuisine that makes them special, because nowadays there is ten-fold competition from all the other exotic cuisines available to the customer, while back in the mid-century, Chinese food was the most exotic food you could find.

hello all, a long time lurkers first post here.

sorry to dredge up an old thread, but this topic came up in a search, and i found the above statements very interesting. specifically, i was wondering if there were, or are any tiki restaurants or lounges that didn't specifically specialize in asian/poly/hawaiian/island cuisine? could one?

meaning, if it had authentic tiki decor, a specific craft tiki cocktail menu, but a non-descript food menu (burgers, steaks, pub fare, etc...), would you patronize the place? my thought is that the culture seems born out of cocktails & decor, but the food seems to be ancillary to some degree.

in another thread, there was discussion about how a tiki themed place might not be sustainable in some areas, and that you would need something "more" to offer instead of being a one trick pony. could a hybrid establishment exists if say, it provided a 60's era lounge atmosphere, contemporary american menu, and a tiki themed room or satellite lounge? does this exist somewhere?

i can't help but think that 50's & 60's era restaurants & lounges tried to get on the tiki bandwagon to some degree, even if it was a small "jungle room" or whatever that may have been part of an otherwise italian restaurant for example.

thanks, and look forward to some schooling>

View Profile of porco Send a personal message to porco  Goto the website of porco     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-27 1:15 pm   Permalink

Welcome to Tiki Central Porco. Here is a link to El Tiki which was a Tiki restaturant that served Mexican food in the 60s & 70s. Decor was definitely Tiki with lots of carved Tikis outside, inside individual booths with thatched rooms, dried pufferfish, etc. The bar served beer, wine & sangria but I don't think they had a license for hard liquor. The only faux Polynesian food on the menu was ambrosia salad with canned fruit cocktail, sour cream, and coconut.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-27 1:58 pm   Permalink

Better have been Marshmallows in that "Ambrosia Salad"
if it was authentic!

Or the place was just another "Tiki Mexican" wanna be.

Are you a Tiki Mexi-can or a Tiki Mexi-can't?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-27 2:27 pm   Permalink

Oh yeah, marshmallows too! The little multicolored ones It was real AUTHENTIC Mexican food, the head cook was a little old Mexican lady named Petra and I was the only one in the kitchen who spoke English. I learned a lot of Spanish working there.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-27 5:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

"...i was wondering if there were, or are any tiki restaurants or lounges that didn't specifically specialize in asian/poly/hawaiian/island cuisine? could one?

meaning, if it had authentic tiki decor, a specific craft tiki cocktail menu, but a non-descript food menu (burgers, steaks, pub fare, etc...), would you patronize the place? my thought is that the culture seems born out of cocktails & decor, but the food seems to be ancillary to some degree.

in another thread, there was discussion about how a tiki themed place might not be sustainable in some areas, and that you would need something "more" to offer instead of being a one trick pony. could a hybrid establishment exists if say, it provided a 60's era lounge atmosphere, contemporary american menu, and a tiki themed room or satellite lounge? does this exist somewhere?

i can't help but think that 50's & 60's era restaurants & lounges tried to get on the tiki bandwagon to some degree, even if it was a small "jungle room" or whatever that may have been part of an otherwise italian restaurant for example.

thanks, and look forward to some schooling>"

-porco-

Not sure if this was thread you mentioned...

Don't like it? Do it yourself.

...But it's definitely one worth looking at if you're interested in the idea of a Tiki joint taht serves food not typically found in a Tiki joint.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
porco
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-28 10:18 am   Permalink

great thread woofmut, thanks for that...hadn't come across that one.

very enlightening points from "bongo bungalow" with regards to mexican restaurants. i can't help but think that the modern mexican (tex-mex really) restaurant in some way mirrors the american tiki restaurant heyday.

both are made to mimic a culture with borrowed design elements (clay tiles vs. thatch, aztec vs. tiki gods, margaritas vs. mai tai's, cactus vs. palm trees, mariachi bands vs. fire breathers, etc...), yet one seems to have a more perceived sustainable life/business span?

is it because food is primarily the focus? is it because the food is better/more appealing? they're both (texmex/tiki) practically american inventions, but with american tiki culture being born out of primarily cocktails, does it have a disadvantage when it comes to a full fledged business? theme bars can prosper in locations with high traffic and other options, but they limit themselves from "regulars" relying on tourist traffic.

i guess my whole point is, why isn't there more prevalence of tiki rooms or patio bars in otherwise non-tiki establishments? how many people here have or would decorate their entire home in tiki? i would assume most is confined to one room, a basement, or patio. so why shouldn't this carry through on a business level?

is the idea of an all out tiki establishment too much? do you need to have a german or italian theme throughout if your place has a great selection of import beer or wine? if the focal point is the cocktails, then why not reserve a small space within your establishment dedicated to such?

[ This Message was edited by: porco 2012-03-28 10:26 ]

View Profile of porco Send a personal message to porco  Goto the website of porco     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-30 08:06 am   Permalink

Several people on this forum have gone all out and made the whole house tiki. Check out the home tiki bar section. Atomic Tiki Punk is one of them, I believe.

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2012-03-30 08:07 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 3:57 pm   Permalink

Devolution. Kiki the Fashion Tiki Doll. A doll that looks like somebody that smokes and tans too much. Yikes!

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 5:25 pm   Permalink

OMG that is SCARY!!!!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 6:17 pm   Permalink

I think I dated her?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 6:47 pm   Permalink

I'd hit it.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation