Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The S.S. Redwood: Mobile Tiki Bar
The S.S. Redwood: Mobile Tiki Bar
redwood tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-29 5:57 pm   Permalink

This is a project I've been working on for a while that debuted at Mojave Oasis. The idea was to create a mobile Tiki bar for beach parties, Tiki gatherings, etc. As this is my first attempt at carpentry it's a bit rough and still in progress, but I think it came together fairly well.

Rough cut redwood planks for the deck, wheelbarrow carriage/cooler behind:

Stained planks (used one coat of stain and wiped off excess with paper towels for subtler color):

Finished planks secured and lacquered (bottom of deck, the perpendicular pieces fit snugly inside the wheelbarrow and keep the deck from shifting around):

Lacquered deck with hatch installed (Wink by Scootiki in background):

The S.S.Redwood assembled at Mojave Oasis (9 foot diameter palapa umbrella, grass skirts to cover wheelbarrow, hula girl):

...with some furniture by Eric the Red:

Beneath the palapa at the helm (where the bartender sits), hatch to access cooler (rum, limes) in foreground, accoutrements in rigging (more to come in that respect):

The Redwood in action and me mixing grog:

The next step is to finish decorating the deck (rope banister?), making bamboo stools that fold up and hang from the sides of the deck, lining he inside of the wheelbarrow to insulate and hold ice better, and maybe replacing the grass skirt with some nicer palapa.

-Redwood Tiki

View Profile of redwood tiki Send a personal message to redwood tiki  Email redwood tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-29 6:33 pm   Permalink

Brilliant! Great job on the portable bar. My only concern would be tipsy imbibers fumbling the drinks on the slope of the deck, it'd be a shame to waste rum that way. Still, it's a truly inspired creation. Congratulations.

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
redwood tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-29 7:05 pm   Permalink

Thanks Brudda Bear! It's a pretty simple concept that seemed like it would be fun, I like the idea of mobile shade and rum. I've thought about leveling it, it would only take an inch or so block under the back legs, but even tall tiki mugs are pretty stable. The other thought was to make "drink preservers", coasters with rims that would hold mugs securely and, by expanding their base so much, essentially make them impossible to knock over.

[ This Message was edited by: redwood tiki 2011-04-29 19:06 ]

View Profile of redwood tiki Send a personal message to redwood tiki  Email redwood tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-29 7:49 pm   Permalink

2 shaka shakes for sure on this bar!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
redwood tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-01 02:23 am   Permalink

Thanks Ben! That really is encouraging coming from you. It's nothing compared to your work.

gold zephyr
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-03 12:41 am   Permalink

I can think of a thousand places this bar could go. It's a nomadic tiki vessel

View Profile of gold zephyr Send a personal message to gold zephyr      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
redwood tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-03 10:39 am   Permalink

Yes sir, that's the idea. The key to mobility lies in the two wheel wheelbarrow. Even with a 9 foot palapa umbrella up the SS Redwood is very stable and cruises like a champ.

skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-08 11:35 am   Permalink

Great job Redwood TiKi......soon everyone will have one!

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
redwood tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-08 10:29 pm   Permalink

Haha, thanks Scootiki! It would be cool to see what all the amazing artists around here would come up with.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation