Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The Aviation
The Aviation
dcman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-30 04:47 am   Permalink

After having an Aviation at a restaurant that she enjoyed, my wife (and I) ordered the requisite creme de violette and maraschino liquor, and then she didn't like the version we made at home. Do you have a recipe you enjoy that varies from the classic recipe of 2 parts gin, 1/2 part lemon, 1/2 part maraschino liquor, and 1/4 part creme de violette?

Also, what interesting things do you do with creme de violette and maraschino liquor, do you have any recipe suggestions?

dcman

View Profile of dcman Send a personal message to dcman  Goto the website of dcman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-30 05:25 am   Permalink

The Aviation is a tricky cocktail to get right. I find that many recipes go too heavy on the lemon juice and/or the maraschino. Try this one:

2 oz. dry gin (use a softer, citrus-forward gin like Plymouth or Bluecoat)
1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
1/4 oz. maraschino liqueur
1/4 oz. creme de violette
1/4 oz. simple syrup

Shake with ice and and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry, if desired. If you like your drinks on the sweeter side, you could up the simple syrup to 1/2 oz.

There are a ton of classic cocktails that call for maraschino liqueur; fewer call for creme de violette, but there are some (I'm partial to the Attention and the Violet Fizz). Try searching the Cocktail Database for recipes using those two ingredients:

http://www.cocktaildb.com/

Cheers!

View Profile of Mr. Moto Send a personal message to Mr. Moto      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-30 1:07 pm   Permalink

we tried several versions, here's the variation my wife likes best by far:

1.5 oz gin
.5 oz lemon
.5 oz maraschino
.5 oz creme de violette.

shake over ice, strain into cocktail glass, garnish with cherry.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-03 08:30 am   Permalink

I typically skip the violette in my Aviations as it can give the drink too many layers. I save the violette for a Blue Moon.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Anestiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-13 05:21 am   Permalink

I pour the creme de Violette into the bottom of the glass. Then, I mix the lemon juice, maraschino liqueur, and gin with ice. Strain carefully on top of creme de Violette. You should get a two toned drink. The first half tastes predominantly of maraschino liqueur. As the drink is finished the creme de Violette taste comes through...delicious and makes for a prettier drink this way.

Anestiki

View Profile of Anestiki Send a personal message to Anestiki  Email Anestiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation