[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Vintage Hair
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Vintage Hair
Tikitack
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-30 08:44 am   Permalink

I think you may have to talk to the "Whistle Bait"(wahines) over at world wide retro.
http://worldwideretro.com/

View Profile of Tikitack Send a personal message to Tikitack  Email Tikitack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-30 09:43 am   Permalink

Laney had found the best book on 40s hair... try this source as Amazon.com no longer has it, but this shop in the UK might. 1940s Hairstyles by Daniela Turudich

Or check on ebay, 1940s Hairstyles on Ebay

[ This Message was edited by: Traderpup on 2003-05-30 09:49 ]

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-30 8:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-30 02:01, Humuhumu wrote:
So what I'm aiming to achieve right now is very structured 40sish Andrews Sisters-type curves, like the blond chick from the infamous Mondo bikini contest. I set my hair in hot rollers pretty regularly, but I do it to get a softer look. I haven't played with bobby pins to anchor the curls... is that all it would take to achieve this sort of look?

I think the Mondo Tiki girl probably used steam rollers. The steam would be more effective and fast-working than just regular hot rollers. (I've tried the regular ones and it didn't do squat. Plus straight hair can be more difficult to roll when dry.)

Also, if you're looking for something more 40's, you could really curl up the ends, then sweep the sides up into a Betty Grable and secure with lots of bobby pins. Or if you don't have bangs, how about a seductive peek-a-boo style a la Veronica Lake. Combine that with a grass skirt and you've really got something!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-30 8:46 pm   Permalink

Hey guys, I didn't "do" that last post...Vintagegirl wrote it before I had a chance to sign out. But I think she really did it to embarrass me.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-30 8:50 pm   Permalink

Ha ha, Atomic, now everyone will think you're a "hairdresser".

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-30 8:53 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2003-05-30 20:44, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
Quote:

I've tried the regular ones and it didn't do squat. Plus straight hair can be more difficult to roll when dry.

For the record I have never tried the "regular ones" and I have naturally curly hair!

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-30 9:05 pm   Permalink

I'm unsure of many TC-ers gender. Sometimes I find out someone I thought was a lady is really a fella and the other way around. Unfortunately that usually happens at the end of the date. Anyway, I was pretty sure Atomic Cocktail was a boy, then I read about the steam rollers followed by the supposed explanation...This scene has just gone too weird and I'm not dating any of you anymore.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-30 9:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-30 20:53, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
I have naturally curly hair!

I don't think we're talking about those hairs!

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-06-02 12:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-30 09:43, Traderpup wrote:
Laney had found the best book on 40s hair... try this source as Amazon.com no longer has it, but this shop in the UK might. 1940s Hairstyles by Daniela Turudich

This web site has it as well as the Vintage Face and Vintage Wedding books. I ordered it as a gift from these folks.:

http://www.revampvintage.com/

Look for the books link in the left frame.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hanalei_Pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-03 4:10 pm   Permalink

I bought a ton of 1940s and 1950s hair stylist magazines a few years ago as I've always been interested in these styles and how-to recreate them. Curl patterns were quite an art back then - very complex. Unfortuntely I have spring-hair (very curly/wirey and the curls don't "relax" right. I think the only kind of style I might be able to pull off with hair like this is a long-hair style like Rita Hayworth or something. I just don't know so I I'd given up on the vintage look. I do like the idea of some of you "pros" out there like Vintage Girl, Laney, etc giving us a hand maybe at the next Oasis? Or maybe we can have a tiki central girls salon party. In the meantime, keep experimenting with the steam rollers.

View Profile of Hanalei_Pirate Send a personal message to Hanalei_Pirate  Goto the website of Hanalei_Pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-04 10:54 am   Permalink

The tiki girl's night party sounds like a great idea! I just bought the 1940s Hairstyles book, it should be here in a few days. (Thanks, jab!) Let's do it at the next Oasis, or maybe once I've moved down to LA.

Those of you who've had trouble with rollers -- have you tried using a really good styling gel? When I first started using rollers, my hairstylist told me to use gel in my hair, and it was a disaster for me -- my hair takes curl very easily, and the gel made it look ridiculous! However, for someone who's hair doesn't hold curl well, it might do the trick, unless it would weigh it down too much.

Atomic -- I have the most darling barrette that will look fabulous in your hair!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cherry Capri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-04 9:18 pm   Permalink

wigs, baby, wigs!

Of course you could go my route and use up a couple of cans Aquanet after an hour or 2 of teasing. It's murder when you wash it out, so if you do do a retro do - invest in a good hair kerchief and satin pillowslip so it can last more than one night

View Profile of Cherry Capri Send a personal message to Cherry Capri  Goto the website of Cherry Capri     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-16 5:20 pm   Permalink

So, after having long hair for over 10 years (I'm talking 3/4 the way down my back) I may have to cut it in order to get a job. Well I've always been faced with that everytime I have to look for a new job. Yeah even an artist has to conform inorder to survive. But anyways I was looking for any websites you guys and gals may know of that have really good pictures of vintage style hair for men. I don't really want a crew cut or a flat top, (but thouse would manage better) I was thinking of a pompadore or something that fits "me". I'm looking on the rockabilly barbers site and I like what I see, but what I see isn't very detailed. Any suggestions?

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!
Myspace Texas Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2007-01-16 17:23 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-17 10:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-29 17:41, tikimonkey wrote:
Totally bald is always in style.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-17 10:41 am   Permalink

I know that feeling, you need to cut your hair to get a "proper job", I alway think that your talents should count more than your haircut BUT when i had waist long white-boy-dreddlocks most employers took one look at my hair and i never got a chance to show my talents.

IF you have to cut your hair then I recommend the pompadour, you get to use hair grease and carry a flick-comb. The only downside is finding a good barber it took me two years to find mine.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation