FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Warehouse, Marina Del Rey, CA (restaurant)
The Warehouse, Marina Del Rey, CA (restaurant)
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-01 11:16 am   Permalink

Name:The Warehouse
Type:restaurant
Street:4499 Admiralty Way
City:Marina Del Rey
State:CA
Zip:90292
Phone:310-823-5451

Description:
Beachbum Burt Hixsons First Warehouse, opened in 1969.

The Warehouse

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-01 11:18 am   Permalink

We have this thread about an updated cocktail menu which apparently didn't stick and this thread on the no longer operational Newport Beach Warehouse but it's time for the Official Warehouse Marina Del Rey thread.

Who's got anything on the short lived Warehouse in West Covina?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-01 5:51 pm   Permalink

Bora Boris,

Timely post after the Westside Nautical Bar Crawl. Looks like you are putting the new camera to good use.

You can still get this old postcard at the front stand of the restaurant, I picked up a few last night.

Who ya gonna call?

Here is the vintage menu from Marina Del Rey that I posted previously.

You got an extra one of those matchbooks?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-03 9:29 pm   Permalink

Here is another postcard from my collection with a rendering of The Warehouse restaurant in Marina Del Rey.

And a photo of some urban archeologists looking for the lone Tiki at the Warehouse courtesy of Captain R. H. Falenum.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-09 10:52 pm   Permalink

The restaurant maintains its incredible lagoon like facade, yet
the Tiki-torches did not light. Most disappointing.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-26 11:21 am   Permalink

I don't like the sound of this - "Dated Marina del Rey to get a modern makeover"

"Parts of the marina remain trapped in era when kitschy nautical and Polynesian themes were in vogue. Now county planners are pushing to make it relevant once more."

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-marina-del-rey-20140226,0,3170859.story#ixzz2uSNf4xCH

In my opinion the main problem is the Marina is a pain in the butt to get to and to park and then it's not cheap. I'd suggest ditching Valet Parking, updating menus and bringing in entertainment that doesn't suck before changing any of the structures.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-26 11:34 am   Permalink

Yeah, "modern" often gets fleshed out as crap.

On the other hand, it's easy for me to suggest tossing in a "good tiki bar" with great food, great atmosphere, and great drinks. But it's just not that easy to hit it right.

The "county planners" hopefully are talking to developers who have a proven track record and who are savvy enough to engage some good consultants. It's not easy no matter what route they take.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Below Decks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-26 1:32 pm   Permalink

The LA Times article this morning states that the Warehouse has a lease that runs out in 2022. Hopefully it'll stick around in something resembling its curent classic form, at least until 2022. But methinks the writing is on the wall and the days are numbered for this creaky relic. Even the current owners acknowledged it.

View Profile of The Below Decks Send a personal message to The Below Decks  Goto the website of The Below Decks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-27 07:36 am   Permalink

One of the best escapist destinations in LA.
I love walking over the lagoon to get into the restaurant, even if the view is better from Whiskey Red's aka Shanghai Red's.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation