FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Has anyone noticed that Trader Vic's LA Live is not as popular as the YardHouse?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Has anyone noticed that Trader Vic's LA Live is not as popular as the YardHouse?
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 09, 2003
Posts: 3818
From: LA-2547 mls east Hawaii &5500 Easter Is
Posted: 2011-05-06 05:38 am   Permalink

I have, and it really bothers me that owners of the YardHouse are realizing huge profits, while Trader Vics, with its much nicer interior, more unique cuisine and more interesting wait staff uniforms only enjoys about 50% of the amount of business the YardHouse.

The YardHouse is enjoyable, I've been there, too, but I don't see why so many would prefer it.
Is it because it is a better known chain?
Maybe because the prices are cheaper?
Maybe because it is less intimidating as it is big room, with virtually no decor other than TVs?

I don't understand.


 
View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 16, 2008
Posts: 2694
From: Dogtown, USA
Posted: 2011-05-06 06:47 am   Permalink

Well I think the Yardhouse has about 100 different beers on tap, so I guess that would be 100 reasons right there ...





[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-05-06 06:53 ]


 
View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 13, 2006
Posts: 1298
From: Dog Patch - San Diego
Posted: 2011-05-06 08:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-06 05:38, christiki295 wrote:
Is it because it is a better known chain?
Maybe because the prices are cheaper?
Maybe because it is less intimidating as it is big room, with virtually no decor other than TVs?



I'd say yes, yes and yes.
_________________
"I am Lono!" -- Hunter S. Thompson


 
View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Joined: Aug 10, 2004
Posts: 3092
From: Redondo Beach, CA
Posted: 2011-05-06 09:10 am   Permalink

The Yardhouse also has a better location than Trader Vic's. Nobody strolling through LA Live will easily miss seeing the Yardhouse, while TV's is on the "outside" with much less foot traffic passing by.

 
View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 25, 2002
Posts: 11236
From: Tiki Island, above the Silverlake
Posted: 2011-05-06 09:31 am   Permalink

Exactly...and I believe we have discussed the fact that the general public seems to prefer generic corporateness before exotic theme decor at length here. A thread with the above header is kinda redundant, and really not productive in terms of supporting Trader Vic's.

 
View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 09, 2003
Posts: 3818
From: LA-2547 mls east Hawaii &5500 Easter Is
Posted: 2011-05-06 10:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-06 09:10, Hakalugi wrote:
The Yardhouse also has a better location than Trader Vic's. Nobody strolling through LA Live will easily miss seeing the Yardhouse, while TV's is on the "outside" with much less foot traffic passing by.



Possibly, but TV also has a nice al-fresco presence by the exterior patio, and good "width" along Olympic Bl.


 
View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 09, 2003
Posts: 3818
From: LA-2547 mls east Hawaii &5500 Easter Is
Posted: 2011-05-06 10:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-06 08:48, arriano wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-05-06 05:38, christiki295 wrote:
Is it because it is a better known chain?
Maybe because the prices are cheaper?
Maybe because it is less intimidating as it is big room, with virtually no decor other than TVs?



I'd say yes, yes and yes.




Maybe TVs should become a USC hangout, and offer half-price beer after 10 p.m.?


 
View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 10, 2004
Posts: 8934
From: Anaheim,Ca.
Posted: 2011-05-06 10:12 pm   Permalink

Like anything in Life,
you get what you pay for,
you want beer, you buy beer,

you want to buy a good tropical drink,
go to where they have them and spend a few bucks more.

The General Public is mainly cheap.

Jeff(btd)



 
View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 20, 2007
Posts: 1275
From: Indiana
Posted: 2011-05-07 05:31 am   Permalink

Well, I'm out here in the Midwest, so what do I know but when you say "more popular" likely you mean "more people there"? Mixed drinks provide more profit than beer per sale. So it would be possible for the TV to be more profitable than the Yardhouse.

How busy do you want your favorite tiki bar to be? Busy enough to stay open for sure. I like a place that has enough people in it to seem desirable, but not so many as to be difficult to get my favorite bar stool. Oh, and I want the other guests to be like me. (This is not too much to ask, is it?)


_________________


 
View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 16, 2008
Posts: 2694
From: Dogtown, USA
Posted: 2011-05-07 08:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-07 05:31, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Well, I'm out here in the Midwest,

...and I want the other guests to be like me. (This is not too much to ask, is it?)


HEY, we welcome people of all ethnic diversities in our Tiki bars out here in California, Bongo Bungalow !!



 
View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 09, 2003
Posts: 3818
From: LA-2547 mls east Hawaii &5500 Easter Is
Posted: 2011-05-07 08:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-07 08:18, JOHN-O wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-05-07 05:31, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Well, I'm out here in the Midwest,

...and I want the other guests to be like me. (This is not too much to ask, is it?)


HEY, we welcome people of all ethnic diversities in our Tiki bars out here in California, Bongo Bungalow !!





And, Trader Vic's exemplifies John-O's thoughts, as for Cinco de Mayo, they had Maricahis (for free)!

Behind the bar, an Asian beauty and a Latina beauty, both wearing a Hawaiian top, and a sombrero. Waiting on the tables, a Blonde amazon. And, trying on a new uniform, a Nubian princess.


 
View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 20, 2007
Posts: 1275
From: Indiana
Posted: 2011-05-07 10:45 am   Permalink

Well, a Nubian princess trying on clothing is certainly not "like me"... Oh, and uh, do you have photos?



_________________


 
View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Oct 09, 2005
Posts: 392
From: Boston
Posted: 2011-05-07 4:55 pm   Permalink

We visited the LA TV in Jan., and while it was easily accessible by car, which is the preferred method of transport in LA, parking was a bit ambiguous in that area. Foot traffic in LA is a factor in a very limited number of areas, and that is certainly not one of them.

 
View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 07, 2011
Posts: 629
From: Los Angeles Basin, Westside
Posted: 2011-05-07 6:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-07 16:55, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
Foot traffic in LA is a factor in a very limited number of areas, and that is certainly not one of them.



Everybody knows that NOBODY walks in LA


Bear




 View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Joined: Oct 15, 2002
Posts: 1548
From: Ventura County
Posted: 2011-05-07 6:17 pm   Permalink

McDonalds and Burger King are more popular than our local Hamburger Habit or Burger Barn but there is a difference. Quality over cost. I would rather pay a couple of bucks more for something better....food or drink. Never been to the Yardhouse and no plans for them in the future. But we do need a trip to Trader Vic's!

 
View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation