FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel East Bay - the best possible Tiki Itinerary for a Thurs night?
East Bay - the best possible Tiki Itinerary for a Thurs night?
RhumStorm

Posted: 2011-05-10 1:37 pm   Permalink

This week traveling to Alameda, where I lived for 8 years. (Why did I move so far away??? My issue )

The question is, is there a better Tiki itinerary to be had on a Thursday night in the East Bay?

My current itinerary (thankfully, we have a designated driver):
1) Conga Lounge (right at 5:00PM)
1) Dinner at Trader Vics, Emeryville
2) Forbidden Island

I've been to all the above many times and cannot come up with a better itinerary. But, if there are any other worthy places (new and good!) that I should consider please let me know!

BTW, later in the week planning to hit Smuggler's Cove in SF which I have not hit yet. So, pretty excited about that as well.

RhumStorm

View Profile of RhumStorm Send a personal message to RhumStorm  Email RhumStorm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-10 3:35 pm   Permalink

Kona Klub is beautifully decked out and is only 3 blocks from the cemetary with Trader Vic's crypt!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RhumStorm

Posted: 2011-05-11 09:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-10 15:35, rugbymatt wrote:
Kona Klub is beautifully decked out and is only 3 blocks from the cemetary with Trader Vic's crypt!

Thank you rugbymatt for the ideas. From looking at Kona Club's drink menu it looks like the Beachcomber Zombie might be the go to drink. Visually appealing place as well. If there is Martin Denny on the jukebox then I am there !

RhumStorm

View Profile of RhumStorm Send a personal message to RhumStorm  Email RhumStorm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-11 10:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-10 15:35, rugbymatt wrote:

i was also surprised Kona club wasn't on your list.
it is a short walk from the conga lounge, past the cemetery with trader vic's crypt to the kona club

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitonga
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-11 5:25 pm   Permalink

Kona Club has great decor....but when we were there last year the drinks weren't all that well crafted. Most drinks were mixed "in glass" with pre-mixed ingredients and ended up tasting really strong but with little character. They used to be a college bar so maybe the bartender was a hold over. It could be that things have improved. They do have a cool dancing hula girl statue and lots of bamboo and thatch. Oh, and they had a REALLY cool mug for sale at the time.

I think your first 3 picks should be your priority and then hit Kona if you have time. The Conga Lounge is awesome. The staff has the right Tiki-tude. No matter what, you'll have a blast at any and all of those places. We are spoiled up here in Nor Cal!

View Profile of tikitonga Send a personal message to tikitonga  Email tikitonga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-11 5:30 pm   Permalink

If you didn't know Conga Lounge and Forbidden Island are both owned by Mike---which is why they are both so awesome and the drinks are so well done

[ This Message was edited by: SandraDee 2011-05-11 19:33 ]

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RhumStorm

Posted: 2011-05-11 7:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-11 17:30, SandraDee wrote:
If you didn't know Conga Lounge and Forbidden Island are both owned by Moolaki Mike---which is why they are both so awesome and the drinks are so well done

Definitely! FI drinks and Conga Lounge define the standard for tiki drinks. Molokai Mike sent 4 FI mugs out this way after a FI mug met its demise on my screened back porch ( I paid for the mugs and shipping as one would expect - but for Mike to take the time in the first place to ship these to me was very cool and puts out a great vibe in my book. I mean he's running multiple businesses and took the time to make that happen! ). A ceremony was held in the mugs' honor - Martin Denny's version of Misirlou playing, tiki torches lit and a double of Ron Zacapa 23 year old (I hope that is a proper farewell).

Thanks all for the feedback and recommendations! Land in SFO tomorrow 11:15 AM - yes!!!!

RhumStorm

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation