FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki IE MARU, Orange, CA (other)
IE MARU, Orange, CA (other)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-14 6:11 pm   Permalink

Name:IE MARU
Type:other
Street:1855 E. Rose Street
City:Orange
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
I picked up an interesting postcard from a rental housing complex that was completely Tikified. Not sure about the name IE MARU.

Looks like there were at least three of the houses lined up.

Wonder what's there now?

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2011-05-25 16:46 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-05-14 11:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-14 18:11, Dustycajun wrote:

Wonder what's there now?

Nothing.

Looks like they are now the
Pinewoood Villas.

Doesn't look or sound promising but I'll still go and take a peek.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-15 08:31 am   Permalink

Wow, that screen capture seems to be the exact same angle the postcard was taken at... just further back. It's also kind of amusing that the main tree I see in the foreground of the postcard is the pine tree branch. I guess changing the name to Pinewood Villas was an easy transition!

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 4:59 pm   Permalink

I did some better scans of the postcard. The main building in the photo is obviously the rec room by the pool. It looks like there were a few carved Tiki poles along the railing that went from the deck over the bridge to the pool.

It also looks like a black velvet type painting with a Hawaiian theme in the living room.

All of the houses in the complex were trimmed with the outrigger beams on the roofs.

Here is an aerial of the complex, it must have been quite a sight to see all of these houses together decked out with the Tiki finishes.

Somebody has to have some photos of this place somewhere.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-05-25 6:19 pm   Permalink

DC - I was able to find one news photo for you from 1962, the year it opened:

So it looks like the complex was named after a Japanese tea house. However, I'm not sure how authentically Japanese that tea-house is, no matter what the news story says, based on both your postcard and the news photo. Sure looks like some Poly-pop architecture thrown in. And those buildings in the background of your postcard are definitely Polynesian.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 8:36 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

Thanks for the newspaper story, the magic research thingy is still working I see!

I agree with you, the IE Maru clubhouse way more Poly Pop style than Japanese Tea House in the postcard shot!

Maybe it grew some palm frond fur after it was built.

Now the Erawan Garden Hotel would be more along the lines of Japanese Tea house style with a Poly Pop twist.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 09:44 am   Permalink

WHOSE gonna go there and check for signs of the past?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation