FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts TIKISKIP : How to make tiki light, Lamp 101
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
TIKISKIP : How to make tiki light, Lamp 101
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-06-05 8:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks Bam Bam!
I love that song you did with Pebbles.

Pebbles and Bamm Bamm - Let The Sunshine In
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVogUqWScYc

Hey show a pic of your light!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-06 05:12 am   Permalink

Sure, though it's not been dressed up yet - it's just the base basket and recycled swag chain I found over the weekend. I've been bouncing around ideas of how best to give it a "tiki twist" with materials available around here.

(The light is not actually that bright in person. The camera seems to add 500 lumens)

E: I'm going to document the process, but the plan as it stands is to thin out the strips a bit, paper the interior, and cap off the bottom with a tapa-pattern screen. I would love to find something to serve as a hat-style roof, but they do not appear around here very often.

[ This Message was edited by: Bam Bam 2016-06-06 19:47 ]

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-06-07 06:54 am   Permalink

Looks good Bam Bam.
You could also flip it and add a hat.
or add a tapa insert to the bottom.

A 40 or 15 watt amber light bulb would look great in there as well.
For me if you can see the bulb it's not as good, you can paper the inside of that basket as well.

Thanx for sharing yer light!
https://www.google.com/search?q=amber+light+bulb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZ2p3WhpbNAhWKOD4KHd7wBPgQsAQIRA&biw=1280&bih=633&dpr=1.5

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-06-07 06:56 am   Permalink

PS I love the shards of light you got on the ceiling from this light Bam.

Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-07 4:11 pm   Permalink

Me too. It's why I'm a little reluctant to paper the whole interior. I may have to find a compromise...

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-06-07 5:05 pm   Permalink

I have done paper up to a point and that way you don't see where the paper ends,
but you still have the top open for venting and still get the shards of light.

Many times the top of the light is a hat.
So you get this effect anyway as the hat has the open parts but you don't see the bulb as the angle you look at the light from keeps light bulb out of view.

Win win.

Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-24 07:07 am   Permalink

Your comment about angles got me thinking, and I believe I've found a compromise between shade and shards.

After some experimenting with household objects, I found that these cheap polypropelyne cutting mats transmit light fairly well, and are easily rolled into a long, rigid tube.

I used this as a diffuser so that, A) you don't see the bulb, and B) There is now strong orange light coming from throughout the shade. The pattern on the ceiling is diminished, but it's still there - and now in color as well. As a bonus, I still have two more mats in red & green to experiment with.

(as before, don't trust the color that the camera sees. It is much more subdued to the naked eye)

Thankfully, it's yard sale & rummage sale season, so the chances of finding something useable as a hat are at a high.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-24 08:01 am   Permalink

Skip- u stud

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-06-25 04:52 am   Permalink

I was good looking for about one week long ago.

Looks good bam Bam.
Now you are getting It!

Like the way you are thinking on how to get parts for your tiki spot!
Keep it up.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation