Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Guilty Pleasures, A Backyard Build
Guilty Pleasures, A Backyard Build
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-28 6:00 pm   Permalink

So after some time My wife and I decided that we didn't have the room for a inside build so the backyard was available. We hadn't done much with it after a fire several years ago wiped out what was there. It was time for a new look. We decided to work on several small sections at a time so at least something gets done

The deck from the path as I left off last year. We live in upper California, so it gets pretty hot during the summer and wet and cold during the winter. got to love zone 9. The top will have to come this year due to a injury last fall.

The small water feature I put in. The planter is full of cannas right behind. Started a wood fence to block off the view a bit.

Two of my first big tikis. The one on the right is my first attempt on a small pole, The one on the right is from my brother. Solid oak I might add.

Close up view.

A quick view of this years start. The fence we started last year I finished off with a reed cover. The plants are just now coming in, so I can't wait to see what it will look like in a month or so.

To be cont......

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-28 6:11 pm   Permalink

Great start, already looks like a nice place to relax on a warm NorCal day.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-29 06:58 am   Permalink

Great pictures. Looks very relaxing and I can't wait to see what is next! thanks for sharing.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-29 7:28 pm   Permalink

Good place for relaxing.

View Profile of Polly Send a personal message to Polly  Goto the website of Polly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SmugglerJoe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-03 11:05 pm   Permalink

Can't wait to be served your newest concoction in that space my friends! Keep up the tiki spirit...

View Profile of SmugglerJoe Send a personal message to SmugglerJoe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-07 9:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the good words, roof going up on the dining area next weekend, and then to start laying out the bar
Smuggler Joe: Mahalo my friend, Been working on a new version of the Nui Nui. I blame Suzanne at F.I. (our favorite mixologist )

[ This Message was edited by: ka'lenatiki 2011-06-07 21:21 ]

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
faztiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-07 10:24 pm   Permalink

one of the best parts of living in CA is getting to grow some amazing plants. you've got a great start. fill that space with palms and ferns and succulents and let nature decorate for you!
-faztiki

View Profile of faztiki Send a personal message to faztiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-08 2:30 pm   Permalink

lol oh yeah, wife is getting to where she wont let me go to the lowes nursury by my self anymore after 5 palms and 3 bannanas came home

BigDaddy772
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-08 6:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-08 14:30, ka'lenatiki wrote:
lol oh yeah, wife is getting to where she wont let me go to the lowes nursury by my self anymore after 5 palms and 3 bannanas came home

Funny I have that same problem....

View Profile of BigDaddy772 Send a personal message to BigDaddy772  Email BigDaddy772     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-04 3:51 pm   Permalink

well, some work done.

New coupla added to the top with fan

i'm working on a float light to go above the fan off the center block.

started putting up the roof sheeting up today, had to kick off after 2 sides, 108 at lunch time.

Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-05 09:09 am   Permalink

Only 108????? lol I wish I had the backyard you have, wow very very cool!! why is everyone but me on this forum a master craftsman?? Or at least handy with tools! Im told I cant use power tools without Adult Supervision!!!! Nice work, wanna see more!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-10 10:30 pm   Permalink

Been slow to get new pics due to work. Added a great float light.

Simple project mixing a solar tiki torch and a bowl. Frosted on the inside, then netted. Lights up every night.
Had to find one with a good flicker and lower the light unit, but it came out great. Solar cell is on the roof above

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-14 12:05 am   Permalink

You started out with a kind of simple wood structure, it went fancy from there, was not expecting it to look like that on top, really different.

I like the light, looks good.

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-16 08:56 am   Permalink

Yeah, keeps changing. I'm blaming the disney jungle cruise ride line building for the change in look. Have added shutters to the coupla and added netting to the underside. Have found low voltage lights are great for a outside build. You can get them colored, soft or bright bulbs.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation