FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ General Tiki Ľ Ľ Tiki Stars Walk of Fame (or as close as I could get)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Tiki Stars Walk of Fame (or as close as I could get)
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-05-30 10:25 pm   Permalink

Exotica

Some "House of Bamboo"

Starlets

Hawaiian Eye

Hawaii 5-O

Magnum, P.I.

Gilliganís Island

Entrepreneurs

Walt Disney,
Frances Langford and Horace Heidt each have 2 stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame but Horace Heidt also has a star on the Palm Springs Walk of Stars which is where It would be cool to see a Don The Beachcomber star.

Throwing in some Calypso

And for Big Tiki Dude Iím throwing in these guys -

I know, I know ďThe Ventures arenít surfĒ but Iím also throwing in this guy!

So there you have it. Please allow me a little latitude, there really isnít that much to work with and if you think of anyone Iíve missed that has a star let me know and Iíll add them. I know there are a couple in Las Vegas that I can add.

I had to drive to Newhall to get Robert Conrad.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-30 10:37 pm   Permalink

VERY cool idea, Boris! And a lot of work, thank you! But didya have to put in that big fat star for TOM SELLECK!?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-05-30 10:41 pm   Permalink

He's the only one from the show so it goes big.

I like how his star is for film when the majority of his career is in television.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-30 10:55 pm   Permalink

Still, his era is the post-Tiki period, in the same vein than Fantasy Island. Village People-mustached dudes do not appear in MY ideal Tiki world.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-05-30 11:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-30 22:55, bigbrotiki wrote:
Village People-mustached dudes do not appear in MY ideal Tiki world.

That's hilarious, nor would they appear in mine. I think most people here would also agree.

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 12:04 am   Permalink

How about Hawaiiannette Funnicello ??

And if we're going to include Surf music icons, then all of her AIP Beach Party pictures should count for something. (Although I know BTD is going to lecture me on the difference between Surf music and Beach music).

And I can't believe Don Ho doesn't have a star.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-05-31 12:08 am   Permalink

Good call John-O!

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 12:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-30 23:14, Bora Boris wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-05-30 22:55, bigbrotiki wrote:
Village People-mustached dudes do not appear in MY ideal Tiki world.

That's hilarious, nor would they appear in mine. I think most people here would also agree.

Ahem, I think the hundreds of people attending this year's Tiki Oasis might beg to differ...

But that discussion is probably best left to a another thread.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 12:38 am   Permalink

This might be stretching things a bit (let me know if it is), but here's a bit of trivia I recently learned (a la Digitiki).

William Holden was responsible for promoting at least one Exotica recording...

As well as being no stranger to the "Mysteries of the Orient"...

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-05-31 01:53 ]

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 12:59 am   Permalink

And get this, Kermit the Frog has a star (even though the Muppets did go Hawaiian with a talking Moai no less)...

A green felt puppet gets a star and NOT Don Ho ?? !!

That makes me mad.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 07:11 am   Permalink

John-O, you are reaching a little too far there - just like this year's Tiki Oasis is really reaching with their "Tijuana Brass" theme. If so, it would be Warren Barker who'd deserve a star in the Tiki Walk-of-fame, not Bill Holden. And just because your repeated whining about Don Ho, I will repeat what I wrote in "The Sound of Tiki":

"Don Ho is often mentioned in conjunction with Tiki style, a fact which calls for some differentiation. Although Hawaii and Hawaiian tourism were the inspiration for Tiki culture, it was the American mainland where Tiki was turned into an art form. And though Ho clearly is the master of Hawaiian schmaltz, his career did not take off until the second half of the 60s, after the Tiki trend had peaked. Stylistically, Don Ho is to Tiki style what the 70s Elvis is to Rock íní Roll: Part of the whole phenomenon, yet a sign of its end being near."

Now is there a Jimmy Buffet star, so we can start the "Tiki Walk-of-Shame" ?

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 08:56 am   Permalink

I think you have to reach a little otherwise this thread's going to end with Boris's original post. One approach might be the identification of any obscure or interesting Tiki-related fact to a well known Walk of Fame Star (It's your call Boris).

How about Eleanor Powell as documented in her Pre-Tiki performances
here?

Watch the first clip and I think you'll agree. It's a definite Hollywood take on Poly-Pop and I understand it's considered to be one of her most iconic performances.

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 08:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

I like how his star is for film when the majority of his career is in television.

Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed. A real headscratcher. Although some people have more than one star, so maybe he has another for TV. But what has he done in film that merits a star? Nothing comes to mind.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 09:18 am   Permalink

His mother Helen Hayes was juiced up with the nomination committee.

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 09:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-30 22:41, Bora Boris wrote:
He's the only one from the show so it goes big.

Well he was so close to being "Indiana Jones" and would of been if the Magnum P.I. execs had chosen to ease up on his TV contract.

Any room for the Ratpack here?

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation