FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Stars Walk of Fame (or as close as I could get)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Tiki Stars Walk of Fame (or as close as I could get)
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-05-31 09:38 am   Permalink

Arriano and Chuck,

It looks like he got his star when Three Men and a Baby was close to being released so maybe that's why they went with film?

John-O, you're thinking of James MacArthur not Tom Selleck and
William Holden is Jungle Style all the way! Plus he drank Campari so No!

The Rat Pack? I think each one of those guys except for Peter Lawford and Joey Bishop has 3 stars and just mentioning that is enough for me.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-05-31 10:33 am   Permalink

Wait a second! Now that you've mentioned it - Sinatra in From Here to Eternity is pretty great and he was the biggest Magnum P.I. guest star so I will add him to the Magnum P.I. spot.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 10:36 am   Permalink

Mitzi Gaynor is on page 122 of BOT !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 10:56 am   Permalink

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 12:53 pm   Permalink

Those European film poster graphics are the best! You don't necessarily recognize the actors , but I like that they are all painted, not photos:

So now that we have gone from "People-on-the-Walk-of-Fame-that-had-an-impact-on-Tiki" to "Any-Hollwood-Star-that-ever-played-in-a-South Seas-Movie" just to keep this game going...

...just a word of caution: Let's ask ourselves: How far will we go just to "keep things going" because "everything has already been done in Tiki"? Is the only choice to either stay true to the style and face STAGNATION, or opening it to whatever has intersected with it at some point, and thus WATERING DOWN and loosing the essence of the concept? And where is the fine line between the two?

I really do appreciate the DESIRE TO CONTRIBUTE from fans of other pop cultures, yet should that lead to posting just anything with a loose connection to the South Seas or Lounge culture as belonging to a TIKI-specific Walk-of-Fame? That "Chuck Tatum is Tiki" thing is a dangerous road to walk down, friends of Tiki (nothing against Chuck, which I am sure is a nice fella!) This message is just something to think about...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-TONGA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 1:07 pm   Permalink

This one is the MOST Tiki!

View Profile of TIKI-TONGA Send a personal message to TIKI-TONGA  Email TIKI-TONGA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 1:20 pm   Permalink

So now I am a danger to Tiki Central?
I think you have over thought my choice of TC names,BigBro most of the cool names had already been taken after all
So I just combined my love of classic movies and Tiki into one name, I did not put much other thought into the choice.

So please don't allow my existence as a new member here to be the downfall of Tiki Central

CTiT

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 1:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-31 12:53, bigbrotiki wrote:
So now that we have gone from "People-on-the-Walk-of-Fame-that-had-an-impact-on-Tiki" to "Any-Hollywood-Star-that-ever-played-in-a-South Seas-Movie" just to keep this game going...

Actually I viewed this thread as the latter, i.e. "What connection (if any) does a HWOF star have to Tiki/Poly-Pop" vs. a literal "Tiki Walk of Fame". Boris's original inclusion of Calypso, Surf, Hawaii 5-0, and Magnum P.I. would support that take I think.

I see it this way, a couple of Tikiphiles walk down Hollywood Blvd. At each star they play Tiki trivia and ask "What connection does this person have to Tiki?"

It might be:

1. Significant as in the case of Les Baxter.
2. Obscure as in the case of Bill Holden.
3. Ridiculous as in the case of Jim Backus.

Not every thread has to be an academic definition or acknowledgement of Tiki-style.

Right ?

Boris, if that was your intent then I stand corrected.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 1:48 pm   Permalink

well at least this thread is based in Hollywood culture and was that not where Tiki started after all.

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-31 1:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-31 13:07, TIKI-TONGA wrote:
This one is the MOST Tiki!

Nice one Tiki-Tonga I thought about trying to fake a star but knew I didn't have the skilz to pull it off

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 2:36 pm   Permalink

What? No love for Jon Hall? And where are Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman? I know there may not be stars for them on the HWoF, but they deserve spots on... Well... Is it the Tiki Walk of Fame, or should it be the Walk of Tiki Fame?

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 3:12 pm   Permalink

Yeah I would say if there is ONE rule for this thread, any star mentioned should have a star - on SOME sidewalk. And yes, that Boris star is a thing of beauty indeed, a fitting award for the work he put in into opening this thread.

And please folks, I am only providing food for thought above. I like John-O's concept as an expansion on Boris' post. And I think CTIT, that, (after realizing I misunderstood the concept of your name, seeking info on the WWII vet), I did welcome you on TC with the Kirk Douglas-at-the Luau connection.

You simply are a fitting example of what I mentioned above, by yourself stating your reasons for your moniker being
A.) you like classic movies, and
B.) that so many names have been taken on TC.

Sorry, I didn't make that up -your name IS somewhat stretching the envelope - not "a threat to TC"

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 3:38 pm   Permalink

It is funny that you mention that BigBro, as the other people from TC that I have met in the last few weeks
really seem to think that my TC name stands out for some reason, I have been asked about its origin quite a bit
I only wish I had a better story to tell.

And sadly it has shown a major lack of knowledge in classic cinema from many people also.

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 3:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-31 15:12, bigbrotiki wrote:

Sorry, I didn't make that up -your name IS somewhat stretching the envelope - not "a threat to TC"

Then again so are most of the TC names here, might I dare your own?
it's a cyclical argument if you will, one in which you would have to include many other users TC handles as examples.

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 4:01 pm   Permalink

Sorry Bora Boris for straying off the topic

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation