FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Appleton Reserve?
Appleton Reserve?
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 1:47 pm   Permalink

Would the Reserve qualify as a gold or dark Jamaican? Or neither?

Thanks!

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 2:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-31 13:47, happy buddha wrote:

Thanks!

gold...almost all Appleton rums can be considered gold rums. Myers's and Coruba are considered dark Jamaican rums.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 8:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-31 14:52, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-05-31 13:47, happy buddha wrote:

Thanks!

gold...almost all Appleton rums can be considered gold rums. Myers's and Coruba are considered dark Jamaican rums.

Appleton Reserve is actually more of a blended, aged rum.

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 9:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-31 20:41, Shaun of theTiki wrote:

Appleton Reserve is actually more of a blended, aged rum.

To varying degrees, Appleton rums are all blends of aged rums. They aren't dark rums though and I have a feeling that Buddha was trying to figure something out for a recipe. FWIW, the Reserve works pretty good in a mai tai and a daiquri....

Now, if anyone has some 21yo or 30yo for me taste....

[ This Message was edited by: jingleheimerschmidt 2011-05-31 21:33 ]

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 9:38 pm   Permalink

I was, indeed. Thanks for the help. Isn't the Extra considered a dark rum, though?

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-01 05:08 am   Permalink

The Reserve..... it's not so good.

You should it to me and I'll take care of it for you. I'll trade you a bottle of something else for it.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-01 09:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-31 21:38, happy buddha wrote:
I was, indeed. Thanks for the help. Isn't the Extra considered a dark rum, though?

Caveat: I am no expert.....IIRC, gold vs dark rums are a matter of the type of casks that they are aged in. Dark rums are aged in charred oak. Appleton's website doesn't say much. Some folks call it a dark rum and others a darker gold (boy, that's a lot of help). Some will use it in recipes that call for a dark Jamaican. I won't (unless a mai tai). Confused yet?

What are you mixing up?

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-01 8:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys..

Jingle: I'm trying to make the 'perfect' Mai-Tais & Navy Grogs, at least to my palette...

Chip & Andy: I'll gladly trade it for a bottle of Coruba!

Thanks!
-Buddha

CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-02 08:06 am   Permalink

The Reserve is the "always and forever" standard gold rum I keep in the cabinet. The 12 is even better... but for the price difference, the Reserve works just dandy in cocktails.
If your goal is a damn fine Mai-Tai on a regular basis, then the Reserve is critical to keep around. Again, though, the 12 is better. And... if you're feeling insane and give in to the urge to buy a hundred dollar bottle of rum... well, then... the 21 yr will make you one of the finest Mai-Tais you've ever had.
I use that with the El Dorado 15 for the "dark" every once in a great, great while, and it's freakin' mind-blowing.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiknician

Posted: 2011-06-02 10:14 am   Permalink

I like Appleton Extra in Mai Tais, but prefer Coruba in Navy Grogs. Not much help if you can't get Coruba, I guess. I have been meaning to try Myers' in a Navy Grog to see if it's a suitable backup but haven't done this experiment yet. If anyone has, will you comment on the result?

Quote:

On 2011-06-01 20:56, happy buddha wrote:
Thanks guys..

Jingle: I'm trying to make the 'perfect' Mai-Tais & Navy Grogs, at least to my palette...

Chip & Andy: I'll gladly trade it for a bottle of Coruba!

Thanks!
-Buddha

View Profile of tiknician Send a personal message to tiknician      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-02 10:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-02 10:14, tiknician wrote:
I like Appleton Extra in Mai Tais, but prefer Coruba in Navy Grogs. Not much help if you can't get Coruba, I guess. I have been meaning to try Myers' in a Navy Grog to see if it's a suitable backup but haven't done this experiment yet. If anyone has, will you comment on the result?

Myers's is fine. Coruba is better. Either way, the drink still works. I tend to heavy hand the demerara over the dark jamaican anyhow. My rum choice in Navy Grogs swings all over the place depending on what's available in the cabinet. The lime/grapefruit combo is what really makes it.

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-02 8:10 pm   Permalink

I like Gosling's Black Seal in the navy grog.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation