Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Travel » » In Search of Tiki in The Caribbean
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
In Search of Tiki in The Caribbean
WooHooWahine

Posted: 2011-06-01 07:21 am   Permalink

SoccerTiki and I just booked at 8 day Southern Caribbean Cruise departing in December. We are In Search of any suggestions of places to Visit, Places to Drink & Eat, & Things to Do while we are in the Caribbean. We will be visiting the following ports San Juan, Saint Maarten, Saint Lucia, Grenada, Bonaire, Curacao, & Aruba.

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ricky Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-01 08:18 am   Permalink

Looks like a great cruise. Which line are you on?

View Profile of Ricky Tiki Send a personal message to Ricky Tiki  Email Ricky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine

Posted: 2011-06-01 08:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-01 08:18, Ricky Tiki wrote:
Looks like a great cruise. Which line are you on?

We are sailing with Princess aboard The Caribbean Princess

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-08 07:47 am   Permalink

Nice!

Tiki and Carribean share a close historical similarity.
The post-contact history of the indigenous Carribean peoples, the Taiano, is very similar to the those of the Rapa Nui and, to a lesser exent, native Hawaiians, because they both include exploiatation, forced migatration to work on plantations and destruction by european disease.

The TaĆ­no, who had colonized all of the Caribbean by A.D. 1200, suffered mightily in the wake of Columbus and his fellow colonists who conquered Hispaniola, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Jamaica, and other islands. Whole villages were wiped out by Old World diseases, warfare, and forced resettlement near mines and plantations. By the early sixteenth century, nearly all the TaĆ­no of the Bahamas had been removed to provide labor for Spanish interests in Hispaniola, itself largely depopulated after contact. Within a few decades, all traces of TaĆ­no life had vanished. What did survive has come down to us in the form of commonplace words like barbeque, canoe, hammock, and tobacco.

www.archaeology.org/0101/abstracts/museum.html

The manifestations of the Carribean (Taino) gods, called Zemis, are very similar to the South Pacific tikis.
http://www.archaeology.org/0101/abstracts/museum.html

As the larger image indicates, the Zemi gods had a fierce expression, a head which is tilted forward, was based on ancestoral depictions and, most of all, was imbued with magical power. These are all characteristics of pre-contact Hawaiian tiki.

Other Zemi gods just look like tikis.
http://www.taino.org/cohoba_idol.html

On a lighter note, the Punta Cana Airport, in the Dominican Republic looks very tiki:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scokeri/slideshow2?.dir=64e7&.beg=1&.src=ph

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-08 07:51 am   Permalink

When I was in the Dominican Republic, I purchased an indigenous Tiki:

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine

Posted: 2011-06-08 07:57 am   Permalink

Mahalo for the information Christiki295! I knew you'd have some information for us

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-19 06:10 am   Permalink

WooHooWahine, hola, I'll be in the Caribbean this summer and I would like to know if you found any tiki in there... Pics maybe? Gracias.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine

Posted: 2011-07-20 2:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-19 06:10, Zeta wrote:
WooHooWahine, hola, I'll be in the Caribbean this summer and I would like to know if you found any tiki in there... Pics maybe? Gracias.

Zeta - We won't be in the Caribbean until December but will post pics after our trip

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-11 11:02 am   Permalink

Thanks WooHooWahine, I misread your initial post. Duh! Sorry... I just can't believe there's nothing on the subject of El Tiki en el Caribe...
I'm leaving tomorrow for the Caribbean and I wonder if anyone out there has any recommendations on places I must visit even if they are not tiki. Anything old and with character I am interested in. Suggestions anyone?
Laters...
Wish me tiki luck!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-11 6:32 pm   Permalink

La Concha Hotel in Old San Juan de Puerto Rico
1958 Tropical Modernism
http://www.laconcharesort.com/history-architecture/index.cfm
I'm there!

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 07:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-11 18:32, Zeta wrote:
1958 Tropical Modernism
I'm there!

Wow, there is another La Concha.

I was only familiar with the one formerly (RIP) in Las Vegas,
designed by famed LA African American architect Paul Williams:

SoccerTiki

Posted: 2011-08-12 2:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-11 18:32, Zeta wrote:
1958 Tropical Modernism
I'm there!

Mahalo for this website Zeta!!!! We are actually planning on staying a few days in San Juan before we leave for our cruise. I hope you have a Great Trip!! Let us know if you find any "Must Sees" and post lots of pics

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-15 09:45 am   Permalink

Christiki295, Thanks for the info on La Perla, I will ask if there's a connection between the two... Must say that the "Sea Shell" structure design is probably an original design by the Spanish-Mexican Arquitecht Felix Candela, first built in 1958 in Mexico City's Xochimilco restaurant "Los Manantiales"

You are welcome FutbolTiki! Glad to share the mana...

Stay tuned for more flamboyant Caribbean beauty!

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-20 07:18 am   Permalink

While fearing and loathing in Puerto Rico, I recommend reading "The Rum diary" by good ol' Hunter s. "Gonzo" Thompson.

WooHooWahine

Posted: 2011-10-18 07:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-20 07:18, Zeta wrote:
While fearing and loathing in Puerto Rico, I recommend reading "The Rum diary" by good ol' Hunter s. "Gonzo" Thompson.

Zeta - How was your trip?? Any recommendations of places to see?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation