[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Handheld blenders
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Handheld blenders
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-11 4:51 pm   Permalink

I usually prefer to use a top blender as it mixes very quickly, doesn't mangle the crushed ice and produces a nice foamy finish on the drink. I use an old Hamilton beach 3-speed that I bought back in '78 at a used restaurant equipment store. It is very similar to a milkshake machine, and has a dual-blade mixing shaft and came with two metal 20 oz. mixing cups.
I've come to use it instead of a shaker for all my mixed Tiki drinks unless the drink is supposed to be a frozen-type drink in which case I use my Blendtec blender.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-12 5:07 pm   Permalink

Those, I have just discovered, can be used to make a "cheating" cappuccino!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-31 03:53 am   Permalink

That's truly a dilemma then. Both types have pros and cons and it eventually gets down to personal preference and even what kinds of drinks you do (or do not) make and if you make drinks for more than one person. I've been very happy with a standard enclosed Osterizer ($20 at Lowe's!) which outperforms a friend's $120 Kitchen Aid and also offers *lots* of accessories including some great vintage ice crusher attachments. Cleanup is more involved than a stick blender, but I get perfectly chopped ingredients (and ice) and I get to pour/serve conveniently from the blender container. If making drinks for one, a stick blender might be fine. If making blended drinks for more than one, then for me the full table-top blender is the better way to go and I've never regretted it.

This is a good thread, there's lots of good stuff already posted by others.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-28 11:25 am   Permalink

hand crank? ice shaver?

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation