Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food demerara dry float
demerara dry float
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-05 10:40 am   Permalink

okay, good one, guys. two and a half oz lime? teaspoon of lemon? only an ounce of rum? i fell for it.

let me guess-- was this recipe created as the perfect libation for everyone's next tiki snipe hunt?

but what i really wanna know is-- who's gonna give me back my quarter ounce of Lemon Hart 151? WHO?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-06-05 11:04 am   Permalink

Yeah, the recipe you used is a bit heavy on the citrus. I prefer the Beachbum's variation on it:

Gone The Beachcomber:
1 oz fresh lime juice
1/4 oz fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz passion fruit syrup
1/4 oz Maraschino liqueur
1/4 oz sugar syrup
1 oz Demerara rum (80 proof)
1/4 oz 151 Demerara rum (float)

Shake it all up with ice except the 151. Strain into empty glass then float the 151.

I usually double the recipe.

I've only made this with Lemon Hart Demerara, One of these days I'll try an El Dorado Demarara for the 80 proof.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-05 2:30 pm   Permalink

I used El Dorado for the 80.

have never come across LH 80 proof.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-11 2:28 pm   Permalink

I just posted a tribute recipe for the Demerara Float, The Mai-Kai's version of the Demerara Dry Float ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/09/07/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-classic-demerara-float-rises-again/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-12 1:09 pm   Permalink

Looks good, thanks! I appreciate the recommendations on which rums to use as well as a confirmation on who currently produces good syrups. So now I have more reasons to go out and buy even more rums... At last count I think I had 32 different rums in my bar cabinets, some of which I will phase out and not ever re-stock because I've found better. Obviously I will need to drink more to accomplish the phase-out, and will need to invite friends!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-12 1:55 pm   Permalink

did you ever receive that LH 151 you ordered?

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-12 2:03 pm   Permalink

I did receive my "new" LH 151 and they did a phenomenal job packing it and shipping it quickly. I would re-order from them anytime. I have not, as yet, done my taste-test for comparison of old "tan" and new "red" label versions. (I was sidetracked by making and testing a handful of cocktails which I saw appear in discussions here on TC, heh...) I did open and use the new LH 151 and it was fine. Based on what I've read here so far the difference between old and new should be minimal. I plan on comparing my notes with others at the next few tiki events I will be attending. And I will post my results here as soon as I have 'em.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-13 07:57 am   Permalink

I make the original recipe, yes with 2.5 oz of lime, for friends who love sour. For those people, this is their favorite drink!

I usually ask if they like to chew on sweetarts first.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2012-09-15 09:24 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-14 2:22 pm   Permalink

I think we all taste tartness differently, so what would be ridiculously sour to some will appeal to a few. I find that my palate is very sensitive to tartness, so I usually modify recipes to better suit me.

Of course, some people are just maniacs...

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation