FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Central Ohana » » Anyone from Portland?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Anyone from Portland?
Handsome Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-05 7:53 pm   Permalink

We just moved here and don't know anyone. I could really get into a BBQ and half a dozen Suffering Bastards!

View Profile of Handsome Dan Send a personal message to Handsome Dan  Goto the website of Handsome Dan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-06-05 11:52 pm   Permalink

Yes, there are some good tiki folk in Portland. Plus the Tiki-Kon event in mid July;
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=39325&forum=4&start=last&7

If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls

Posted: 2011-06-06 06:32 am   Permalink

Welcome to the Rose City! Tiki Kon coming up in a little over a month...details should be coming soon.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Handsome Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-06 6:31 pm   Permalink

"Awesome! Totally Awesome"

View Profile of Handsome Dan Send a personal message to Handsome Dan  Goto the website of Handsome Dan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-07 12:11 pm   Permalink

Hey -- Details are emerging. Trader Vics Portland location for Friday Night Party... Stay Tuned this week for more every day!

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-07 12:38 pm   Permalink

Nice to meet you Handsome Dan,another Portlander here looking forward to Tiki Kon! You can usually find most of us hanging out at Thatch. We have a great bunch of people in the scene here.

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Handsome Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-08 7:52 pm   Permalink

I've been meaning to check out Thatch, haven't gotten down there yet. I also need to check The Alibi, but from what I've heard its mostly a karaoke bar. I drive by the Trader Vic's location every day on my way to work and it looks like its far from being done, of course I'm always driving by trying to squint and peek in.

Ekomomai
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-09 06:07 am   Permalink

Had to jump in here.

The Alibi does do Karaoke from time to time, but I've never witnessed it; I think it's only one or two nights per week. The times I've gone it's been pure relaxation and tiki enjoyment. I highly recommend visiting.

And - Welcome to Portland!

View Profile of Ekomomai Send a personal message to Ekomomai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls

Posted: 2011-06-09 06:49 am   Permalink

Alibi: awesome vintage decor, tiki drinks mediocre at best, and karaoke EVERY night. Go early, take in the atmosphere, and get the hell out before karaoke starts
Thatch: also awesome vintage decor, great drinks, and no karaoke or lottery games

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ekomomai
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-09 09:24 am   Permalink

Karaoke every night? Guess I've just been lucky to miss it.

Agreed - the drinks at the Alibi are just okay.

View Profile of Ekomomai Send a personal message to Ekomomai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Handsome Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-09 6:50 pm   Permalink

I'm "friends" with The Alibi on Facebook and everyday they seem to post something karaoke related, like karaoke drink specials or pictures from last night's karaoke shin dig, yuck.

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-10 2:22 pm   Permalink

On my way to Portland tomorrow (Sat 6/11)! From a previous visit, I agree with the assessments here on the Alibi. Great Tiki decor...

Lousy drinks and music. I won't even address the karaoke. I bolted for the door before they could even *think* about starting that. The Alibi would be amazing in the right hands.

But Thatch overall has the right vibe. Nice dark space, vintage Tikis, good mix of exotica/lounge music, quiet booths, good pupus and drinks that don't suck. I can't wait to get back.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-13 08:51 am   Permalink

Welcome to Portland!

Trader Vics is opening at the end of June, July is Tiki Kon! What a great time for a polypop enthusiast to get here!

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GrandMarquis

Posted: 2011-06-13 3:53 pm   Permalink

actually in Portland until Thursday.

anyone going to the thatch or the alibi? tomorro Tuesday or Wednesday??

View Profile of GrandMarquis Send a personal message to GrandMarquis  Email GrandMarquis Goto the website of GrandMarquis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-09 2:36 pm   Permalink

I'm danlovestikis - Wendy my husband is wendylovestikis - Dan

I'd love to see a photo of you Handsome Dan just for fun.

At Elroyartspace in Portland there is a Tiki show going right now. You could meet tiki people there.

Portland, OR Elroy Artspace gallery is pleased to announce Scootiki: Mods & Gods , its second annual group exhibition of ‘Tiki Style’ fine art. This year is a curation of cross-culture icons: vintage scooters and Tiki – and offers some other significant changes and new features which are all unique in the world of gallery art, indeed!:

Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation