FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Tiki Bar to be Named has a name WIKI-TIKI BAR
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
The Tiki Bar to be Named has a name WIKI-TIKI BAR
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-06 06:35 am   Permalink

Well, let's just start off by saying, I have no idea what I am doing but I do know I will be doing it Tiki. I do have some skills building and am not afraid to take chances by trying something new. So here I am.

I have a somewhat blank canvas of a room, a little alcove in the basement that I am making into a bar. Room dimensions are 12' wide x 15' deep with 8'7" ceilings.

A few things have been predetermined by the boss and by the placement of electrical outlets and water.

My plan is to learn how to do google sketch-up at lunch today, so maybe I can give a better lay of the land.

I'll attached photos in the next few posts...but what you are looking at is the general bar placement, going with an island bar 3' x 7', off to the side will be a countertop space with sink and a kegerator (the kegerator will be all the way against the back wall, that dorm fridge will be gone but the cabinet is right where the water connections and drain is). Behind the bar in between the windows will be a flat screen tv mounted on the wall with two in-wall speakers that are hooked up to my home theater sound system.

I do have a soffit as you enter the room that I plan on using to really distinguish the space from the rest of the basement.

I'm really looking for some design help....really want to get the wall coverings going, finish the island bar and then start adding the detail later as I can procure the right stuff, but in my opinion, I want to get more of the major construction out of the way to make way for the details!

I've about blown my mind reviewing all of the builds here, so many cool ideas, just not quite sure what goes together or what.

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-06-06 07:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-06-08 04:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-07-19 10:39 ]

View Profile of newB24 Send a personal message to newB24      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-06 07:00 am   Permalink

By
newb24 at 2011-06-06

This soffit is 14" tall x 10" wide and is approximately 10' 3" from the back wall and 11" from the front wall. Perfect spot to put up a thatch awning.

By newb24 at 2011-06-06

By newb24 at 2011-06-06

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-06-08 04:36 ]

View Profile of newB24 Send a personal message to newB24      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-06 10:09 am   Permalink

Well it is official, I'm not a tech geek by any stretch of the word. Google sketch-up whipped me today, I guess I need to do the tutorial!

So you are all stuck with just looking at photos and imagining what this space could/will be!

Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-06 10:46 am   Permalink

Very promising space! I can't help with the building part of it, but I'm sure if anyone knows the answers to specific questions you might have, this is the place. :^)

A cheat I've been using to visually sketch out some ideas for our hopefully-coming-soon tiki porch is to take photos of our space and Photoshop stuff in. The perspective suffers and it's not pristine and beautiful, but it's a quick 'n dirty idea-maker that works for me, and let's me "try on" several ideas. Just a thought.

Good luck!

View Profile of Hibiscus Send a personal message to Hibiscus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-07 04:34 am   Permalink

Great Idea Hibiscus!

I'll definitely give that a trial run and see!

So to start out with some specific questions as it relates to construction and materials...

Electrical:

I currently have 4 can lights in the room, which are all on the same dimmer switch, I have outlets high and low throughout the room, actually put a switched outlet up in that front soffit for future lighting. Most every picture posted has more accent/mood lighting than just can lights.

Should I be thinking about removing the can lights (not sure how hard or easy that would be but would be willing to try!) and installing some track lighting or wiring up some other type lighting?

As is stands now, my vision for the ceiling will be some sort of covering and some bamboo faux support structures with fishnet draped along, I really like that fishnet look.

I'm going to take some time today and grab some photos from other posts of things I like as well as maybe drawing (EGADS) the space on a piece of paper.

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-07 10:30 am   Permalink

Well, another lunch hour spent looking at these builds...

This bar front that PHINZ did, truly inspires me, that lighting sells it.

TABOODAN might be on to something with this tounge and groove paneling (how about on the ceiling?)

PHINZ wall covering is by far my favorite style, I like the bamboo slats on the wall too, but don't think I want the bar and walls to match

TABOODAN and this bamboo wall covering looks amazing, how sweet would that look on the bar with the accent lighting

MARKMYWORDS and the bamboo and reed ceiling is truly awesome, I would add some fish netting to part of it

So those are some of the styles I like....need to make some decisions and start budgeting and procuring.

Looked briefly on-line at lunch, not sure I am going to find much bamboo/thatch/reed locally here in Dayton/Cincinnati so will have to make a spreadsheet and look at costs for shipping and such.

Preferred sequence of construction (all pending budget/material availability):

1. Any electrical that requires demolition (can lights to something else, getting power to the bar island
2. Ceiling and wall coverings
3. Bar
4. Flooring/trim
5. ACCESSORIZE for the next decade

Each of those will be a major undertaking and a lot more research, I'm thinking this will take close to a year if not longer at the pace I am already making decisions.

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-07 11:05 am   Permalink

Last 'current' inspirational photo

This thatch roof structure by MURPH is a must to cover up that soffit and make a grand entrance into the cave

I sure am going to need a lot of bamboo....hopefully I can find something within a 2 hour drive and not have to ship it all in!

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-06-07 11:06 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-07 2:06 pm   Permalink

Looks like you're off to a good start. I don't see any reason to get rid of your can lights, you can always dim them or put small colored lights in them. I'll have to check out that Google Sketch-Up.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-07 5:25 pm   Permalink

Hi Newb24, if you don't have your own complete vision/plan yet, there are obviously so many great examples of cool tiki rooms on this site. What might be helpful for you is to create a folder on your desktop and copy into it, all the pictures from the website that inspire you most. Don't forget to look in the carving and other sections for random design inspirations. There is beautiful and unique work ALL over this site.
A great place for classic tiki room ideas is
http://www.arkivatropika.com/cgi-bin/ . You can 'collect' pictures of all the beautiful old Tiki palaces that inspire you most from there.
Then narrow the pictures down to your absolute favorites and put your own twist on it all as you think about how to pull it all together.

Like you, I started with an utter blank slate (literally no architectural details to start from -- other than a large box shaped room (basement). Here is a page with a progression of pictures from my basement.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=28247&forum=20&start=225

I need to update it my post (have been out of action because of a car accident but hope to be back on it soon) but maybe you'll find some additional inspiration somewhere in there as well. Lord knows I've sure gotten alot of inspiration from my friends here at TC.

Many more ideas will occur to you once you start building (that's part of what makes Tiki rooms so fun to work on -- the spontaneous ideas that come when you work with these natural materials ie- happy mistakes, etc.)

Good luck and most importantly, have fun!
John (Mr. Pupu Pants)

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2011-06-07 19:10 ]

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-07 9:44 pm   Permalink

L-bar wrapping the fridge leaving room for a water feature in the other corner and a Lounge/sitting area. Spaced big bamboo poles with open doorway blocking the bar space from the rest of the world.. Just my thoughts.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
faztiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-07 10:19 pm   Permalink

Hi Newb24,

you've come to right place, you've already gotten advice from some of the best around.

Ben's onto something. separate the alcove with a few poles and maybe a low rail so you really know you're either 'at' the bar or you're not. and when you're 'at' the bar, you might find that you really don't need a TV in there at all. let the real world stay on the other side of the room.

The can lights could be useful with a dimmer. its good to have the ability to flip them on all the way when needed. use accent lights on the focal points of the bar to bounce light around for better mood lighting. works best if no light bulbs are actually seen, or spotlights shone down on peoples heads.

best advice is to take your time, plan a bit ahead, try a few things out, and then don't forget to get completely obsessed with it. thats when the fun starts.

is Surf Ohio throwing another FesTiki party in Dayton? that would be the spot for finding what you need.

have a blast and keep posting!
- Faztiki

View Profile of faztiki Send a personal message to faztiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-08 04:33 am   Permalink

WOW! Blown away that you have all taken time to post your thoughts and ideas on my build!

I quickly hit up Surf Ohio to find that FESTIKI has been cancelled for 2011! BOOOO

Unfortunately showed the local zoning/building inspector (the wife) some of the ideas I came across and they were not met with as much enthusiasm as I had hoped. And yet another BOOOOOO

Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-08 3:34 pm   Permalink

Building inspector...Shmilding Shminspector......

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-08 4:26 pm   Permalink

Those kind of comments could get her BANNED from the basement!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-09 04:49 am   Permalink

Marriage is all about compromise right?!

FAZTIKI: No doubt on the TV, I already have a 120" TV less than 30' away, why would I need another but I plan on putting a small one in and encapsulating it in some sort of box that will tie in with some shelves and such. Won't be visible unless it is a necessity.

REVBAMBOOBEN: An absolutely amazing idea, my original plan was an L shaped bar but that one did not even come close to passing the local zoning ordinance. Never in a million years would have thought about adding a 4th wall with an entrance, a water feature and seating area, I struggled with what to do with that large left over space! I was pulling to put one of those ball bowler bowling machines in!

PUPUPANTS: AWESOME build thread, thanks so much for sharing, your wall coverings make me drool, gives me so many ideas

MADDOGMIKE: A vote of confidence that I can come up with something for the ligths! THANK YOU! Well, I guess I used up my favors when I built the home theater room, she was not a fan. So I am letting her have some input on this build. The boys have made the basement a no-girls allow space except Mom, maybe I can work on them a bit to change their sign!

So where am I now? Trying to procure the major materials, what a pain. Spent another hour at lunch calling around to craft and specialty wood stores trying to find something local, yeah right.."Did you say Thatch?" Yes I did, "I have no idea what you are talking about?!". Seems everything that is worth anything is in CALIFORNIA!

As far as design and style:

I'll attach my sketch later but:

1. Wainscoting around the entire perimeter of the room (either going to be bamboo slats like PHINZ or Small Gauge Bamboo Fencing) Haven't seen too many people use the tortoise bamboo? I think maybe I like that?!
2. The back wall will get an upper treatment of the Luahala like PHINZ did above (maybe even some BACBAC if I can afford it)
3. Side walls above the wainscoting will have some sort of mural painted, maybe out one side will be a beach type scene with a volcano in the background
4. Front entrance will be a bamboo framed thatch roof
5. Ceiling will be reed with faux support bamboo (if I can't find the 4 to 6 inch bamboo at a reasonable price shipped, I might just try and make some out of PVC

With the availability of the material, not sure I can afford to do too much trial and error, I'm going to have to trust my judgement based on your photos in your build threads. I think I have picked some of the reputable internet dealers from this site, but shipping is going to add a bundle to my costs!

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-06-09 04:53 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation