FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Tiki Bar to be Named has a name WIKI-TIKI BAR
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
The Tiki Bar to be Named has a name WIKI-TIKI BAR
MauiHowie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-09 08:40 am   Permalink

Inspiring work! I love seeing the progress from a blank slate to the beginnings of what may very well become your favorite part of your house. Keep posting and can't wait to see it continue to come together!

MauiHowie

View Profile of MauiHowie Send a personal message to MauiHowie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-09 4:49 pm   Permalink

Tigertail777 and MauiHowie....thanks for checking out the build and the super great comments!!!!

Since we moved to Page 8, had to put up some pictures....

Got the bar set and put on the toe kick for the half round bamboo!!!

Loving the floor, I made a huge mess cutting wood and bamboo and the shop vac sucked every last big of it up and out of the crevices (yes I got down with a light...psycho, check)

Put the bar stool in few different spots to check out clearances and rocking, both got the thumbs up from the building inspector....pheeewww

I'm getting closer and closer to structurally complete, cannot wait to get to some decorating and detailing. I think you can drink a lot more when you are not working with power tools!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-10-12 04:12 ]

View Profile of newB24 Send a personal message to newB24      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiHowie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-10 5:58 pm   Permalink

BTW, do you mind me asking where exactly you are in 'Southern Ohio'? I grew up in the Buckeye State (Akron area), but enjoyed four of the most wonderful years of my life in the beautiful Appalachian foothills of Athens while attending Ohio University. 'Southern Ohio' is pretty much anything south of I-70 to me so I was wondering where you might be.

MauiHowie

[ This Message was edited by: MauiHowie 2011-10-10 17:58 ]

View Profile of MauiHowie Send a personal message to MauiHowie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 6:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-10 17:58, MauiHowie wrote:
BTW, do you mind me asking where exactly you are in 'Southern Ohio'? I grew up in the Buckeye State (Akron area), but enjoyed four of the most wonderful years of my life in the beautiful Appalachian foothills of Athens while attending Ohio University. 'Southern Ohio' is pretty much anything south of I-70 to me so I was wondering where you might be.

MauiHowie

[ This Message was edited by: MauiHowie 2011-10-10 17:58 ]

I'm a Dayton Flyer! Go UD. Spent a great FIVE years there and never left!

I should clarify I'm Southwest!

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-10-10 18:10 ]

View Profile of newB24 Send a personal message to newB24      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiHowie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-10 6:15 pm   Permalink

Dayton, huh? That's great! Perhaps our paths will cross when there's another FesTiki???

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-11 4:47 pm   Permalink

Sorry total posting and picture abuse, but I can't stand it....IMO...this turned out so much better than I ever expected....I toasted it with a bud light lime (sorry I'm a Budweiser fan)

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-08 2:28 pm   Permalink

Slowly but surely keep putting some new touches on the bar are, so much more to do.....CRIKEY

Not sure I am sold on the lights (the blue under the awning, the white under the bar, the white in the ceiling or the blue in the can lights) yet but it definitely helps with the ambiance. Everything is on a dimmer but my rope lighting sucks, I think I need to invest in some LED and the white lights just look a bit intrusive, I may need to try and make them blend a bit better.

I'll list what I have done later....

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-11-08 14:29 ]

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-08 5:26 pm   Permalink

Wow, you've come a long way with your home tiki bar, newB24! I really like the bamboo moulding you've applied to the bar itself. On your concern with the white rope lighting, maybe some red fish float lamps would help... tikiskip's in your region and might have something to offer.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-08 5:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-08 17:26, TikiTomD wrote:
Wow, you've come a long way with your home tiki bar, newB24! I really like the bamboo moulding you've applied to the bar itself. On your concern with the white rope lighting, maybe some red fish float lamps would help... tikiskip's in your region and might have something to offer.

-Tom

I'm very honored to have you check in on the build, thanks for the great comments!!! I'm definitely down for some float lamps, just a matter of when adn $$$!!!!!

Really great that the moulding made an impression, it was a big fat pain in the a$$ but it had to be done, the 1/2 round I originally bought didn't work at all, glad I had a few sticks of 4" laying around I could filet open and fit!

Thanks again for the comments!

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-08 6:11 pm   Permalink

So what have I been up to the last month or so....

1. As mentioned above, I put the moulding on the bar, this really sucked but it was worth it in the end, it is a much more finished look. I basically just held the 4" up against the bar and marked the top and bottom. I then took the jigsaw and cut down the lines and then knocked out all the nodes. Made a huge mess and took a lot of finagling to get it to sit flush and square. Unfortunately I did not have much 4" leftover and my one corner doesn't look very good, the one piece of bamboo is much bigger than the other.

2. I got the cabinets white washed and installed the butcher block top. It is eventually going to be a wet bar and I need to install the sink and plumbing.

3. The aforementioned cabinets about ruined my plans for the kegerator, the fridge was a just a bit too short so I had to build a platform for it to sit on so my tap will pour out the side. As you may or may not see, the fridge needs a rehab job, going to get painted and some decorations will be added. I will stain the platform so it might blend in a bit better.

4. Got a puffer fish, it is only 13" and is going to be too small to turn into a light, I guess I need to get another
one...d@mn right?!

5. Installed some netting over the one window, put a few crabs and a lobster up in there, I like the look, really adds to the ceiling.

6. Put up the rest of the rope lashing and hid all the screw heads, I used hot glue and it worked really well

7. Installed that lighting, I think it may need to come down, but it does look really good dimmed down....I guess I will give it some time to see.

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-11-08 18:24 ]

zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-08 6:19 pm   Permalink

That's looking awesome! Great work!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-08 6:30 pm   Permalink

I'm also currently working on the bar top...

Since my bar top is just bare hickory, it called for it to be sealed first so I put a very light coat down to seal the top.

Before:

After:

Next step is going to be a true flood coat, I'll put about a gallon of product down and it should be around 1/8" thick. I may do that this week yet or maybe this weekend.

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-08 6:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-08 18:19, zerostreet wrote:
That's looking awesome! Great work!

Zerostreet, thanks so much for the comments! it is so encouraging to hear!!!!

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-08 10:43 pm   Permalink

Made me thirsty...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-09 04:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-08 22:43, hang10tiki wrote:
Made me thirsty...

I do believe the first keg will be something nice and I will guarantee cold!

Thanks for checking in hang10tiki!!!

Upon further review, I need to start thinking about something to hang on the front of the bar, that expansive bamboo is just calling out for a little decoration.....hmmmmmmm

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation