FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Tiki Bar to be Named has a name WIKI-TIKI BAR
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
The Tiki Bar to be Named has a name WIKI-TIKI BAR
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-10 06:05 am   Permalink

excuse my crappy drawing....this is my best photoshop!

The "crown molding" will be 4" or 6" diameter bamboo poles. I'm working on my ceiling design and elevation view at lunch today. I'll try and get it up before the weekend.

Not sure what to do about the floor trim.

I also need to do a detailed sketch on the bar. The plan will be do pick 1 internet supplier and get a huge shipment of as much material as I can possibly afford in a freight delivery. Shipping onesy and twosy of pieces just will not cut it.

View Profile of newB24 Send a personal message to newB24      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-10 10:14 am   Permalink

OK, did some quick sketching at lunch...here is ceiling plan

Best I could come up with, could change pending what reed fencing I end up getting (width wise) and keeping the smaller diameter bamboo lengths at 8' or less.

So my questions are:

1. Do I have enough lateral 'supports' (I think probably yes, but not sure...don't want to diminish the reed fencing effect) EDIT-looking at it now, I think some smaller bamboo running laterally at the soffit and back wall might be in order
2. How do you attach the 4 or 6 inch diameter bamboo poles to the ceiling
3. I'm debating on how to attach the lateral smaller poles, in the middle of the bigger ones or lash them underneath. Will probably make that decision during construction, kind of like both based on the photos I've seen.

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-06-10 10:16 ]

View Profile of newB24 Send a personal message to newB24      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-10 10:54 am   Permalink

OK, talked with my artist at lunch, she is suggesting a full wall sized wall-paper mural. She has put many up with much success.

The wallpaper mural would be cheaper than her hand painting the mural half its size.

ANY THOUGHTS OR OPINIONS?

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-06-10 11:20 am   Permalink

GROG not so sure about the name. Later Build seems kind of odd for a tiki bar.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-10 1:12 pm   Permalink

GROG, bar called "To Be Named Later." newB24 just confuse GROG by using evolved man word "Build" instead of caveman word "Ruin" and not using big letters at start of right words. Please forgive new evolved man, he not know any better.

Bear
P.S. Bear's mate laugh at us, say "You guys are idiots." Why woman always have to be so evolved?

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
faztiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-10 8:29 pm   Permalink

working through lunch already? welcome to your new hobby!

i've used a mile of that reed fencing in my bar. great, cheap, and easy to use. a few things i've learned:
a single layer of the fence is easy to see through, double it up for a good screen to hide a wall or ceiling.
with a double layer, you can just lay light strings behind it for a great indirect lighting that won't blind you, and just a few strings can light a whole wall or ceiling.

i've only seen those rolls come in 6' heights x ~25' or so long. with your dimensions, you might consider cutting two sections to equal the 10'3" width (perpendicular to the back wall). to enhance the 'hut' feel, the section touching the soffett could be mounted level, and the back section could slope down toward the back wall, maybe the opposite angle of the thatch you'll use in front of the soffett.
or, you might have to split the ceiling into three sections instead of two to equal the 15' width.

I guess Festiki only lasted a couple of years, too bad. Dayton needs an excuse to party.
-faztiki

View Profile of faztiki Send a personal message to faztiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfbeatnik
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-11 08:05 am   Permalink

Honey...so, how is all this tiki stuff going to be arranged?

newB24! If you need some help...I can send you the SketchUp model I created of your space!

View Profile of surfbeatnik Send a personal message to surfbeatnik      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-11 11:44 am   Permalink

SURFBEATNIK....THAT IS AWE-FRICKING-SOME!

So GREAT!

YEP! I want it...I'll pm you my addy!

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-11 11:50 am   Permalink

FAZTIKI: Interesting ideas, slope the roof, I kind of like it!

How exactly are people securing the full diameter bamboo to the ceiling? Some sort of wire/rope hanger?

Same on the fence, if I angle it, I do I support it?

If I don't angle it, how do I secure the fencing, trim nails?

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-12 11:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-11 08:05, surfbeatnik wrote:
Honey...so, how is all this tiki stuff going to be arranged?

Looking forward to seeing that sketch-up.

You have a wonderful space to start with, and you are smart to be planning ahead. Have fun and we love checking out progress pictures.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-13 04:48 am   Permalink

Well after doing some more sketching and looking around this weekend:

1. We have a new bar mascot, found him at some store calling my name:

2. I've decided on the bar top. It is 4" wide Hickory Planks. Once I secure each piece to the top, will sand, color highlight and then hit it with coat after coat of polyurethane. (you can see the stack of it next to Mr. Tiki)

This is a sample of what it will look like when it is done, on the top. I think it is super cool (and durable!)

3. I think we have settled in on a mural for the wall. (if not this one, the other two choices are sunset on the beach or just a daylight beach scene) it will be the full height and length of the wall 12' x 9'. I'll frame the wall with some big bamboo pieces to make it look like a doorway/entryway.

Other than that, didn't get very far with my bamboo quantities or take off. Will work on that today. I'm hoping to get my material lists out to some of the vendors so while I'm on vacation next week, they can work on pricing and we can get moving on some construction!

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-13 11:08 am   Permalink

Well I put my bulk order out to bid today, should have about all of it covered.

Went to:

Oceanic Arts
Mainlanders-Tropical Tikis
Benson's
Island Thatch-Sunset Bamboo

I'm trying to package everything together to get 1 freight delivery but it doesn't seem like people are too interesting in doing that. "FREE SHIPPING" still includes a shipping price so if I order multiple quantities, I would think you should get some sort of discount, but that doesn't seem to be the case with some of these guys, hopefully someone will stand up amongst the rest and I can get this stuff on order.

If there are any bad experiences out there with one of these places, please let me know.

Thanks for looking....I'll slow down the posting once I get into construction! I'm a fact-finder!

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-13 9:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-13 11:08, newB24 wrote:
Well I put my bulk order out to bid today, should have about all of it covered.

Went to:

Oceanic Arts
Mainlanders-Tropical Tikis
Benson's
Island Thatch-Sunset Bamboo

I'm trying to package everything together to get 1 freight delivery but it doesn't seem like people are too interesting in doing that. "FREE SHIPPING" still includes a shipping price so if I order multiple quantities, I would think you should get some sort of discount, but that doesn't seem to be the case with some of these guys, hopefully someone will stand up amongst the rest and I can get this stuff on order.

If there are any bad experiences out there with one of these places, please let me know.

Thanks for looking....I'll slow down the posting once I get into construction! I'm a fact-finder!

Sounds like you're a little tense. RELAX! it's Tiki! Before you do anything else,
mix up a Mai Tai! Then re-think why you're building this tiki bar!!!

my PSA for the year.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-13 9:57 pm   Permalink

p.s. that tiki is funny looking.

Cheers!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-14 04:24 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-06-14 04:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-06-25 06:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-07-18 04:20 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation