FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Tiki Bar to be Named has a name WIKI-TIKI BAR
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
The Tiki Bar to be Named has a name WIKI-TIKI BAR
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-28 07:12 am   Permalink

Stage Crafts you say....interesting enough, that rope lashing must hide the magic.

So from the pictures, it looks like you secured plywood strips to the ceiling, installed your matting on the ceiling and then secured the smaller bamboo poles to the plywood strips then hung the bigger bamboo off those secured pieces.

Your joints and angles on that box out for the light are about perfect, I'm not sure I have the skill set to make that happen. Plus I will be hanging lights, netting and other oddities from the structure so it has to have some sort of strength to it.

I think I am going to have to just go reverse, secure my 4" bamboo to the ceiling joists and then hang my 2" bamboo underneath, lashing it and securing it with screws to the 4".

I'll lose another 2" in ceiling height but for peace of mind, it might be better.

The awning that I am building for the front will need to be structurally built as well, I can't afford to lose any height by stacking bamboo on top of each other so I need to work on a plan to build that like I'm framing a wall and it will have to somewhat self support itself with the thatch laid on top of it. So I am back to my initial problem of securing the 2" bamboo to itself. I think I may try a hole saw and stick the bamboo into each other and then secure it with some screws. The lashing will hide the nastiness so I just need to make it strong and durable.

I can't find any pics right now of what I want to do other than this window treatment.....

View Profile of newB24 Send a personal message to newB24      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-28 08:02 am   Permalink

p.s. remember, when it comes to bamboo, nothing is perfect.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-28 10:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-28 08:02, RevBambooBen wrote:

That has been my mantra for this whole build!!!

BUT your projects do look damn close to perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of newB24 Send a personal message to newB24      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-28 10:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-28 10:00, newB24 wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-07-28 08:02, RevBambooBen wrote:

That has been my mantra for this whole build!!!

BUT your projects do look damn close to perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was taught by the best...

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-31 07:56 am   Permalink

3 days no posting?

Clues that someone is getting into it.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-31 12:37 pm   Permalink

Well not quite getting into it....but making some progress. Torched the crap out of some bamboo for hours on end last night.

And this looks to be the way I am spending the rest of my Sunday afternoon....cutting a trench to get power over to the bar. CRIKEY!

Once I get power over to the bar, then I can put my base in and then I can put up the bamboo paneling. I have a ton of torching yet to do....

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-05 4:37 pm   Permalink

Wall mural got installed today and I actually finished the d@mnable electric trench and got the wired pulled. Now just need to pour in some vinyl concrete patch and be done with it!!!!

I may actually get some trim and bamboo wall covering up this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATED: Here is the trench that tried to kill me....

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-08-06 05:14 ]

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-06 12:30 pm   Permalink

Started to look a little like something....

Installed the baseboards and put up the bottom tortoise shell bamboo.

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-07 3:54 pm   Permalink

Putting up the bamboo paneling was quite easy actually..

1 laid out where the holes were to be cut, just like hanging drywall
2 used a rotozip to cut out the holes
3. dialed down the pressure on my brad nailer to about 50 PSI
4. put the bamboo on the wall and just hit the brad nails through the knuckles, a few split but most of them just set flush and smooth.

You can't even see the joints where this stuff goes together and it lays perfectly smooth on the wall.

I'm either going to tackle the chair rail bamboo next or maybe I might put up the reed on the ceiling.

I need to figure out how to post a poll on here, I need to decide what to do with the window wells...

A. Paint them the same as the soffit
B. Put the Lauhala on there
C. Paint it a glowing orange
D. Any other ideas?

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-08-09 04:19 ]

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-08 7:57 pm   Permalink

No, I think its just such a tough call. I think I would try to make it as close color to the tortoise shell as possible, but windows to me really are not something a tiki bar should have (it dilutes the romantic lighting of the colored hanging lights) so I would put either a colored opaque plastic over the windows, or get some kind of tiki theme scene printed on plastic and put it over the window. Either way once the windows are covered somehow the window ledge would make an ideal holding spot for tiki mugs. I think I might also frame the windows in bamboo strips.

It's all up to you of course, but that is my two cents.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 12:34 am   Permalink

I say put tapa over the windows. During the day light will glow through and highlight the details.

Custom Tapa Swag Lamps and Sconces Built By Kahaka

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 04:22 am   Permalink

AWESOME IDEAS! I just don't have the vision for some of the smaller details and those are very clever....I was really thinking about doing something about that light coming in, it just washes everything out during the day!

THANKS A BUNCH!

phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 04:51 am   Permalink

We made blackout curtains from Tapa-printed cloth with a blackout liner for Trader Scott's. You don't know what time of day it is when you're down there. The only time we see daylight is when we open the basement door to release the hounds. We made a curtain out of the same material to cover the exercise room when we have large parties. You can see these curtains in this shot of Tiki 65.

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 07:37 am   Permalink

Another great idea...maybe take some bamboo and make a removable masking frame out of it. once I frame out the window, I can make something happen!

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-09 10:45 am   Permalink

I would put frosted plexi glass in front of the window.
Then you could gel it any color you want.
Now put another piece of frosted plexi glass in front of that,
in between those two glasses you put a light of some kind.
Like say rope light (LOW HEAT).
So the gap would be like 1 inch.
Now put your extra booze up there.
The bottles will be back lit and that looks real cool.
You could do mugs as well.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation