FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Tiki Bar to be Named has a name WIKI-TIKI BAR
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
The Tiki Bar to be Named has a name WIKI-TIKI BAR
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-08 04:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-07 19:04, komohana wrote:
looking good newB24,

i vote cover/paint the blue triangle.

the end of the bulkhead could be used to display some artefacts?,
or maybe a sign declaring happy hour, cocktails served, bar open,
or somesuch?

that is 2 votes (mine/yours) to cover but 1 BIG vote from the boss to leave it! Need some more votes to convince her!

Great idea, put some tiki up there....I'm digging it

Thanks so much for the nice comment and checking out the build...I really appreciate it.....

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-09-08 04:51 ]

View Profile of newB24 Send a personal message to newB24      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-12 04:41 am   Permalink

Still awaiting some information on the floor, so I took the time to clean up some of the rough construction areas and worked a bit on the bar. Nothing exciting but these areas were bothering me.

I painted the bar a nice dark brown, just something to hide the gaps when I put the 4" bamboo on later. I was tired of looking at my practice stenciling and stomping.

I never really cut the windows in really well, plus the blue paint shining through was bothering me, so I cut the windows out a little tighter and in the meantime while I make a decision on what the windows will be later, I just hit them with some stomping.

I did a small test on the soffit, where I wrapped it with the smaller bamboo. Didn't turn out too bad....I guess I missed a piece of blue painters tape, I had the entire room sectioned off when I sanded the bejesus out of the bar top!!!!

After much deliberation and painstaking research I put the stain on the top of the bar. It definitely turned out a bit darker than I liked but it is more matchy to the other browns in the room and really makes the bamboo on the edge standout. You can't say that top doesn't have any character!

Until we get this flooring issue settled, I'm back to working on the bar but am also going on a golf trip the end of this week, so it looks like this is how she will stand for the next couple of weeks.

The current discussion in the house is how the wet bar on the side of the room is going to look....my little white sink cabinet will not make the cut, oh how I had plans for you little guy, the boss just doesn't have my same vision.

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-10-04 17:30 ]

View Profile of newB24 Send a personal message to newB24      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-04 4:46 pm   Permalink

I'm still here! Finally got the flooring installed, now is the time to run like crazy, everything is a go
to get done and boy is there a lot of it....

remaining bamboo around perimeter
rope lashing in ceiling
bar (both wet and dry)
1/2 round bamboo on bar front
more bamboo around windows and soffit
lights

can't wait to get to decorating stage....

If you remember I went with a pebble epoxy floor, bascially 50 pound bags of pebbles mixed with epoxy to a rice krispy texture and troweled on the ground.

Bar took 18 bags of pebbles and 10 gallons of epoxy, was put down in 1 hour and 45 minutes flat. Needs to sit for a day before I can get on it.

Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-04 5:54 pm   Permalink

The floor looks great! Really good idea.

I've enjoyed the reading the entire thread. Good job and thanks for posting!!

Cheers!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-05 05:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-04 17:54, Q-tiki wrote:
The floor looks great! Really good idea.

I've enjoyed the reading the entire thread. Good job and thanks for posting!!

Cheers!

Thanks for the comment and checking in on the build!

The floor really turned out fantastic, much better than I ever imagined, the wife did a great job on picking out the color.

I'm making big plans for the next few weeks, hopefully I can get through some of the structural aspect of the build and get to decorating and using!

Trader Mitch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-05 3:24 pm   Permalink

The floor looks fantastic! Like a sandy beach. I'm curious to see how it stands up to traffic and spills so keep us posted.
Thanks for sharing.

View Profile of Trader Mitch Send a personal message to Trader Mitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-06 09:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-05 15:24, Trader Mitch wrote:
The floor looks fantastic! Like a sandy beach. I'm curious to see how it stands up to traffic and spills so keep us posted.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comment! I concur!!!

Will keep everyone updated on the floor...my sister has had this in her entire basement for several years, after a recoat it looks brand new. You can use shop vac, steam cleaner or carpet cleaner to clean up the floor.

Feels great on the feet, will be curious how the bar and barstools sit on it, definitely not perfectly flat surface but should be good enough to not have rocky chairs!

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-06 3:04 pm   Permalink

I took some final install pics for the flooring guys so here are a few better pics with some more light and my better camera.

Well I guess after they get uploaded, the picture quality goes down just a bit, oh well, more pics to look at.

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-10-06 16:35 ]

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-06 5:27 pm   Permalink

Rice crispy treats!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-06 5:28 pm   Permalink

I love that kind of floor...looks great!!! Keep up the good work.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-07 04:20 am   Permalink

Thanks for checking out the build Chuck Tatum is Tiki and VampiressRN, really appreciate the comments! Hope the rest of the build doesn't disappoint. I have some concerns over what has been chosen as the wet bar cabinetry....

After all said and done I'm about $3.66 per squarefoot installed.

Look for more updates on Sunday, going to work some late nights down in the WIKI TIKI with a few cocktails tonight and tomorrow night.

We are either going to

A. work on the wet bar cabinetry
B. hang more bamboo and work on rope lashing the ceiling
C. work on the island bar

pwest71
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-07 09:49 am   Permalink

Hey newB,

I've been following this build all along, and I have to say I'm very inspired and hopeful that I can create an atmosphere like yours when I get to working on my room. Very nice work. Thanks for all the progress shots, and please keep 'em comin'.

Paul

View Profile of pwest71 Send a personal message to pwest71      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-08 10:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-07 09:49, pwest71 wrote:
Hey newB,

I've been following this build all along, and I have to say I'm very inspired and hopeful that I can create an atmosphere like yours when I get to working on my room. Very nice work. Thanks for all the progress shots, and please keep 'em comin'.

Paul

Paul, thanks so much for the kind words, construction has been a lot of fun, I take way too many photos, glad they are doing someone else some good!

Look for some more pictures posted tomorrow....doing some more clean up work and may possible have something else installed!!!!

Jon

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-08 6:05 pm   Permalink

OK, I had a buddy ask for some photos and the lighting was pretty good so here is what we did today....

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-09 03:32 am   Permalink

Wow! The whole room is really coming together. I really love the floor! Great job!

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation