Joined: Jun 06, 2011
From: Southwest Ohio
|Posted: 2011-06-09 04:49 am  Permalink|
Marriage is all about compromise right?!
FAZTIKI: No doubt on the TV, I already have a 120" TV less than 30' away, why would I need another but I plan on putting a small one in and encapsulating it in some sort of box that will tie in with some shelves and such. Won't be visible unless it is a necessity.
REVBAMBOOBEN: An absolutely amazing idea, my original plan was an L shaped bar but that one did not even come close to passing the local zoning ordinance. Never in a million years would have thought about adding a 4th wall with an entrance, a water feature and seating area, I struggled with what to do with that large left over space! I was pulling to put one of those ball bowler bowling machines in!
PUPUPANTS: AWESOME build thread, thanks so much for sharing, your wall coverings make me drool, gives me so many ideas
MADDOGMIKE: A vote of confidence that I can come up with something for the ligths! THANK YOU! Well, I guess I used up my favors when I built the home theater room, she was not a fan. So I am letting her have some input on this build. The boys have made the basement a no-girls allow space except Mom, maybe I can work on them a bit to change their sign!
So where am I now? Trying to procure the major materials, what a pain. Spent another hour at lunch calling around to craft and specialty wood stores trying to find something local, yeah right.."Did you say Thatch?" Yes I did, "I have no idea what you are talking about?!". Seems everything that is worth anything is in CALIFORNIA!
As far as design and style:
I'll attach my sketch later but:
1. Wainscoting around the entire perimeter of the room (either going to be bamboo slats like PHINZ or Small Gauge Bamboo Fencing) Haven't seen too many people use the tortoise bamboo? I think maybe I like that?!
2. The back wall will get an upper treatment of the Luahala like PHINZ did above (maybe even some BACBAC if I can afford it)
3. Side walls above the wainscoting will have some sort of mural painted, maybe out one side will be a beach type scene with a volcano in the background
4. Front entrance will be a bamboo framed thatch roof
5. Ceiling will be reed with faux support bamboo (if I can't find the 4 to 6 inch bamboo at a reasonable price shipped, I might just try and make some out of PVC
With the availability of the material, not sure I can afford to do too much trial and error, I'm going to have to trust my judgement based on your photos in your build threads. I think I have picked some of the reputable internet dealers from this site, but shipping is going to add a bundle to my costs!
[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-06-09 04:53 ]