FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Anyone have the recipe for Mai Kai Black Magic?
Anyone have the recipe for Mai Kai Black Magic?
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-07 10:37 am   Permalink

I have been to the Mai Kai dozens of times...grew up in Hollywood. I have always loved this drink and have tried to reverse engineer to no avail. I see that there is a glass for sale as part of the Hukilau merchandise paying hommage to the drink, and in the picture is a drink card with partial recipe? Can someone help me with this? Thanks...Aaron.
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-07 12:01 pm   Permalink

I have made my version:

3 oz Pineapple Juice
1 oz Hiram Walker Coffee Brandy
1/4 oz Lemon Juice
2 oz Myer's
1/2 tsp Cinnamon Infused Syrup
Lemon Zest garnish

Blend for a few seconds with crushed ice and pour into snifter glass. Add more crushed ice to fill.

ANd I highly recommend
Col. Tiki's Dark Magic.

My version is sort of the quick Victor Bergeron version of the original I think... Not a match, but, I'll be there tomorrow night to sample it again and work on it som emore!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-07 3:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks Swanky, appreciate the recipe. Unfortunately, I won't be at the Hukialu this year. I have to work a dental convention in Orlando this weekend. Too bad....I wanted one of those mugs you designed...great job. The Hukilau is a great drink too!

Aaron
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-08 01:40 am   Permalink

If you wrap up the Convention at, say, 5pm...you can be at the Mai-Kai by...uh...8pm. Just saying.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-08 09:12 am   Permalink

I knew I'd seen this discussed before:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=22455&forum=10&hilite=black%20magic

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-08 1:05 pm   Permalink

haven't had the drink, but for some reason I have this recipe jotted down in my cocktails notebook and have been meaning to try it:

1.5 oz each of dark rum, gold rum, and black coffee
3/4 oz each of lime, OJ, grapefruit, and honey
1/4 oz of Don's mix (grapefruit and cinnamon)
3 dashes each of bitters, and of pimento/allspice dram.

no idea where i got it from or whether its accurate to any degree.

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2011-06-08 13:06 ]

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-09 9:57 pm   Permalink

I just tried this out-- I used Kahlua instead of black coffee-- it was awesome!!!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-22 2:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-08 13:05, thePorpoise wrote:
haven't had the drink, but for some reason I have this recipe jotted down in my cocktails notebook and have been meaning to try it:

thePorpoise, I don't know where you got the recipe, but it's actually quite good. I sub'ed 1 oz of a dry coffee liqueur for the 1.5 oz of coffee, used 3/4 oz honey syrup (1:1) instead of pure honey and 1/4 oz of cinnamon syrup in place of the Don's Mix (since there is grapefruit juice in the mix already), and 1/4 oz allspice dram rather than 3 dashes. Top mixed with crushed ice for 5 seconds and poured into a large snifter. The result is a very smooth Black Magic-like drink. The coffee is there but not overpowering and the honey works quite nicely. Very nice recipe! If you're a fan of the Mai-Kai's Black Magic you should definitely give this one a try. Without a side-by-side comparison, this might be the closest to the Black Magic of the recipes I've tried, although I doubt they use allspice dram. But they could use an allspice syrup.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-11 11:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

That looks close to melintur's recipe from Thatch for the Dark Magic.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-13 3:58 pm   Permalink

Not really. They're hardly close. Very different flavor profile.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-16 11:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

That's very close to (what I believe) to be the recipe (from my own un-named sources). The rums are wrong, but the rest looks right. I'd say more, but all the tiki gods have not yet approved of my loose lips...

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sonofkick

Posted: 2011-10-25 11:01 am   Permalink

how come i cannot found the recipe of the original black magic , heard of it but would love to try it here back in south of france.. need to show my froogie mate some real drink

please help as much as u can

View Profile of Sonofkick Send a personal message to Sonofkick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-04 2:15 pm   Permalink

The recipe above is indeed very close to what is rumored to be a vintage Black Magic recipe that we are sharing in our latest review, which also features discussion of the special rum that makes the Black Magic unique:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/04/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-black-magic-emerges-from-the-shadows-as-a-true-classic/

Okole maluna!

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2012-04-05 11:20 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation