FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Ken Tiki's Tiki Room
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Ken Tiki's Tiki Room
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-04 10:43 pm   Permalink

rattle can - flat black.

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-05 07:45 am   Permalink

How on Earth did you find a Witco bar and stools in this neck of the woods? I'm lucky to find a small tourist tiki at the thrift shops.

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gold zephyr
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-10 3:07 pm   Permalink

Hey your room is coming together nicely. I especially like all the color combinations and hangin skeleton. Where did you pick up the fabric for curtains?

View Profile of gold zephyr Send a personal message to gold zephyr      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holler Waller
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-11 6:38 pm   Permalink

The mask is getting doused in flat black, thanks Komohana. The material I picked up on Ebay over several weeks, it used to be part of the walls of my old tiki room. The Witco I caught on Ebay but had to drive close to the Kahiki to get it. Here are some more corners of my Aumakua Cove. The table was long & took up too much room when the bar came through so I had to cut it shorter ergo the black line down the middle. The helmet is another Ebay purchase. Still have the back of the entrance door to do. 360 to come when done. So close.

Really didn't know about the skeleton at first, but it began to grow on me (trenchfoot?) and when my significant wife came up with the fez, yeeahh.

She made the lamp shade & matching ceiling shade too.

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 09:02 am   Permalink

Hey, you covered up my book! Guess that's what I deserve for freakin' out over that wall mask...

And you were right, that skeleton is not very Tiki at all. But there are ways to tribalize human bones. Beads, feathers, hemp rope and such could bring it more into headhunter territory.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-08-12 11:31 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 10:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-12 09:02, bigbrotiki wrote:
Hey, you covered up my book! Guess that's what I deserve for freakin' out over that wall mask...

And you were right, that skeleton is not very Tiki at all.

gawd, now he might take your book out of the room altogether...hehehe...just kidding.

I think your room is looking great Holler Waller.

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-15 09:34 am   Permalink

Well, let's face it, simply hanging up a skeleton on the wall is not much more than Halloween decorating. It could be pirate-themed perhaps, but that ain't Tiki either.

To bring it more into the South Seas realm, I would disassemble it and just use the bones and the skull. To illustrate what I meant above with beads and feathers, here are some real examples of decorated ancestor heads from various islands in the South Pacific. Nice craft projects!:

Irian Jaya ancestor skull, Asmat

Marquesas Islands with wild boar tusks and shell eyes

Another, more elaborate Irian Jaya job. This one has some real Voodoo to it, I think!

This one from the Solomon Islands is a little too abstract maybe.

You can also build a little altar for it:

...or put it in a planter and let it rot, for added authenticity:

Then again, you might stick with the fez!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-15 7:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-12 22:14, komohana wrote:
I think your room is looking great Holler Waller.

...and I'd be willing to bet that you will add more things,
maybe subtract some things and move yet other things around
as the room evolves.

I particularly like the album covers on the door and the paint job
is kind of growing on me but I'd have to admit that I'm not a fan of
Witco, it reminds me of rustic German furniture to be honest, but that's
just me, please don't take offense.

The moai head speaker fronts? did you make those?

Tiki Zen mentioned the lack of Tiki in Kentucky, is this correct? If so,
I think you've done a remarkable job in collecting the stuff that you've
put into The Aumakua Cove so far, and I can certainly relate as it takes
a concerted effort to hunt Tiki down in my neck of the woods also. (I believe
Perth is now the most isolated city on the planet).

Best of luck with the mug making, I too would like to try my hand some time soon.

cheers.. Bob.

Holler Waller
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-03 6:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks Komohana, the Cove will be a constant as long as I can move but I do trust in a kind of closure sometime soon. The Pollotiki paint job is probably a sticking point with many (CT?) but..... It's like you & Witco I guess - to each their own. I would rather have a more tiki representational Witco bar but it does seem to fit, in my eyes. - There are no speakers in any of the pictures - and you can trust Tiki Zen, as South Central KY seems to be quite non-polynesian, thanks.

Thanks to you too, Hakalugi. Some of those Gope boards are really sweet- the problem, per sey, (& bigbro- this'll count for you too) is that, damn, they are the real deal. Their authenticishness is a bit overwhelming for this place[me?]. While I really dig the board and most of those skulls, to have those on display would/could overpower the room and transform it into some kind of museum.

Not that I am planning for it to be a Small World After All, but something in between. Seriously playful. Kinda like Doug Miller of Kona ~ "I only want the fake stuff—the fake-real stuff." There are some artists displayed, both mug and in print, who are really speaking to me - or at least I'm hearing something. I'm just not sure about having actual Irian Jaya stuff in the same room with Black Lagoon Creatures/Jonny Quest/Sleestak items. Seems like it may not be respectful. But that's something I'll have to work on. Although dressing up the fez dude in tribalesque gear will be fun.

Seriously, thanks for all the comments, everyone has been very kind and respectful & I have not even thot about taking offense at/from anyone. I trust that will be in kind. It is a very small tiki world here in Southern KY and getting to hear from others from across the globe ~and nearby~ is really fun and enlightening. When coming to Nashville or Mammoth Cave, drop me a PM and come on by. Clean-up pictures soon, (fingers crossed).

[ This Message was edited by: Holler Waller 2012-01-16 20:12 ]

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holler Waller
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-03 7:21 pm   Permalink

All Most Inn:

komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-03 7:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-03 18:50, Holler Waller wrote:
- There are no speakers in any of the pictures -

my mistake, i'm thinking of ideas to help my own speakers "blend in" and thought that
was a speaker on the floor to the right of the shelves.

how did the mask on the entry door turn out?

Holler Waller
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-05 10:34 am   Permalink

Been waiting for this shirt for months - could be a perfect eye-opener to the Aumakua Cove ....?

Side apologies to Komohana & Bigbro but couldn't resist~More "realer" pics coming soon-there should be a delivery sometime in mid-November and stuff needs to be done by then.

Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-06 06:13 am   Permalink

For what to do with the skull here's some ideas. This is an Orang Utan skull from the Monsopiad Cultural Village's Hall of skulls on Borneo with interesting work done on it-

Here's the 42 skulls Monsopiad took-

This illustrates how they dried the skulls, just imagine a pair of these flanking the entrance-

Quote:

On 2011-08-15 09:34, bigbrotiki wrote:
Well, let's face it, simply hanging up a skeleton on the wall is not much more than Halloween decorating. It could be pirate-themed perhaps, but that ain't Tiki either.

To bring it more into the South Seas realm, I would disassemble it and just use the bones and the skull. To illustrate what I meant above with beads and feathers, here are some real examples of decorated ancestor heads from various islands in the South Pacific. Nice craft projects!:

Irian Jaya ancestor skull, Asmat

Marquesas Islands with wild boar tusks and shell eyes

Another, more elaborate Irian Jaya job. This one has some real Voodoo to it, I think!

This one from the Solomon Islands is a little too abstract maybe.

You can also build a little altar for it:

...or put it in a planter and let it rot, for added authenticity:

Then again, you might stick with the fez!

[ This Message was edited by: Wayfarer 2011-11-06 06:15 ]

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holler Waller
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-28 8:19 pm   Permalink

Here is the latest entrance pic~

Komohana, I think that rattleblack did the trick. BTW that "speaker box" is actually a tissue box decoration/hider that was given to me years ago-the giver mustuv known something way back then.

Holler Waller
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-03 10:17 pm   Permalink

Now updated to the Nth 'ceptin' one strand lights in surprise mode.

Welcome to the Aumakua Cove.

Surf in to the left.

Some of these shots may be repeats but it seems like there been a lot of work/decisions made.

Taking a clockwise rotation:::

Both doors I'm calling done.
The lightswitch cover....someday.

Moved the Shag for the Shark.

Mugs are my first Tiki Love~

Have loved sharing with everyone.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation