Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Mold Growing On Outdoor Tiki's/ Palapas
Mold Growing On Outdoor Tiki's/ Palapas
Atomic Wedgie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-11 7:54 pm   Permalink

We've had a pretty wet winter and spring in sunny So Cal, and for the last couple of months black mold has been growing on all of my bare wooden tikis, the roof of my palapas, and any other wood structures I have outdoors. Anyone else experience this? Any ideas of how to get rid of it? Bleach will kill it, but I'm really not looking forwars to spraying half of my backyard down with it.

View Profile of Atomic Wedgie Send a personal message to Atomic Wedgie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-11 8:56 pm   Permalink

Well you can use bleach or a fungicide, bleach works great for me, afterwords dry out all your wood items
then seal them with a good outdoor rated sealant.

Black mold only grows in a wet and dark environment are you sure it is black mold?

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Wedgie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-11 9:00 pm   Permalink

It sure looks like black mold, it seems to have stopped growing a few weeks back. I was hoping it would just disappear. I'll try bleach or X-14 and see what happens.

View Profile of Atomic Wedgie Send a personal message to Atomic Wedgie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-11 9:25 pm   Permalink

If you have a cement patio or driveway, just spray down your Tikis & Bamboo etc. there
use some diluted bleach (very cheap to use bleach) in a spray bottle, it can take 30 minutes to an hour to work though, so give it some time.

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-11 9:26 pm   Permalink

Also it may take a couple of applications.

Atomic Wedgie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-16 12:19 pm   Permalink

Grassy ass!!

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation