FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Rum inventory!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Rum inventory!
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-15 05:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-15 05:23, swizzle wrote:
Sorry to be a downer but I had a feeling that this topic has been covered before.

But not as well as this!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-15 12:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2011-06-15 03:58, jokeiii wrote:
Randy, that's a great looking photo! Is there a link to a high(er) res. version?

Thanks, those thumbnails are pulled from a little
mouseover gallery I made last year as an experiment using css stylesheets. Dunno if it works in all browsers, but hovering on a thumbnail is supposed to show a larger image above.

Last night I had some of the XM Banks Royal 10yr - one of my favorite sipping Demeraras. A couple years ago there were rumors that the XM Banks line was going to be available in the states. That would be nice.

Maybe a moderator will merge the two threads. The other one has some good pics and discussion too.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-15 12:30 pm   Permalink

Works great! Thanks!

This reminds me -- for no good reason, not that I need one -- of a Cuban* rum someone brought me, called Varadero. It was sealed and labeled as a "white rum" but it was a ver-r-r-r-ry pale gold, sort of like a reposado tequila. It tasted pretty good in the simpler Caribbean sorts of cocktails (mojitos, daiquiris, etc.) and now, whenever something calls for "light rum" I use 3:1 white:aged (usually Cruzan and Bacardi rums.

Now you know.

-J.

* For reasons well outside the scope of this post, I prefer to not purchase anything from Cuba. Not judging, just saying.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-15 1:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2011-06-15 12:30, jokeiii wrote:
* For reasons well outside the scope of this post, I prefer to not purchase anything from Cuba.

It may be a bit of blasphemy to international rum lovers, but personally I think any bar can do just fine WITHOUT Cuban rum.

I confess I was all giddy from the forbidden fruit factor when I got to try some Cuban rum, but overall I think it's overrated. With the biggest exception being Santiago de Cuba 20yr which I really liked, most seemed unexceptional, with as-good-or-better cousins available from the Dominican Republic. There are actually a lot of people who share the opinion that Havana Club 15yr isn't that great as a sipping rum (despite its price!!), and tastes kinda medicinal. Varadero has a 15yr offering too, which I thought was better than HC, but still actually more industrial tasting (sorry, my best description) than some of the best Dominican rums.

My theory is that some Cuban rums go extremely well as mixers for some of the famous cocktails they're associated with, but their aged variants don't translate so well as sippers. And at the same time, there are some really good light rums these days from other countries that compete very well with the Cuban rums' flavor for mixing. So honestly I don't think we're really missing that much in the states.

Without getting too close to the political issues involved, I guess the story goes that several of the families making Cuba's great pre-Castro rums took their formulas with them when their operations were "appropriated". So they relocated to the Dominican Republic (ie, Oliver & Oliver, Matusalem) or Puerto Rico (Bacardi obviously), and either continued the business or resumed some years later. Bacardi has its own story, but as for the other operations, many of their products still make reference to "Cuban style" or "Cuban formula" or even outright names like Cubaney or Conde de Cuba. But many also do have a similar or better flavor. I don't mean this as a political comment, but the impression I had is that the Cuban rums lost some of their diversity and character once they fell under state control. It may be why modern Cuban rums don't seem to live up to the romantic appeal that's been associated with them since way before the "revolution".

Speaking of borderline political stuff, I keep wondering if Venezuela's going to go off the deep end some day, triggering a US embargo. Fans of Diplomatico, Pampero, and Santa Teresa would have to stock up if so!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-15 5:15 pm   Permalink

I'm a bit embarrassed to post the inventory at Trader Scott's. There's some fabulous stuff and some not-so-fabulous stuff.

traderscotts.com

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-16 08:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-15 17:15, phinz wrote:
I'm a bit embarrassed to post the inventory at Trader Scott's. There's some fabulous stuff and some not-so-fabulous stuff.

Please don't be embarrassed, I think I currently have some "uncool" rums on the shelf as well. Ronrico silver, for starters

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-16 09:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

Embarrassed? Dude, I listed eleventy squillion kinds of Bacardi!

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-16 10:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

Just do what I do and say that "some friend gave it to me."

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-16 8:06 pm   Permalink

What the hell.

No particular order:
Redrum
Redrum Voodoo
English Harbour 5
Seven Tiki
Clement Rhum Vieux Agricole
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
Diplomatico Reserva
Doorly's XO
Flor de CaƱa Black Label 5
Flor de CaƱa Grand Reserve 7
Flor de CaƱa Centenario 12
Flor de CaƱa Centenario Gold 18
Siesta Key
Siesta Key Gold
El Dorado 12
El Dorado 15
El Dorado 15 Cuba Libre
El Dorado 21
Seven Fathoms
Ron Abuelo AƱejo 7 AƱos
Coruba
Pyrat Pistol
Clement Premiere Cane
St. James Hors D'Age
St. James Extra Old
St. James Royal Amber
Ron Cubaney Solara Reserva
Ron Cubaney Gran Reserva
Zaya 12
Murray McDavid 13
Atlantico
Mt. Gay Sugar Cane Rum
Capt. Morgan 100 proof
Prichard's Key Lime
Prichard's Gold
Prichard's Crystal
One Barrel
Smith & Cross Traditional
Plantation Trinidad
Cruzan Black Strap
Goslings Black Seal
Wray & Nephew White Overproof
Bacardi 151
Lemon Hart & Son 151
Diplomatico Reserve Blanco
Margaritaville Dark
Sailor Jerry
Trader Vic's Dark
Myers
Trader Vic's Spiced
Ypioca Cachaca
Capt. Morgan Private Stock
Armazen Vieira Rubi Cachaca
Kraken
Bacardi AƱejo
Bacardi Silver
Burnett's Virgin Island Gold
Rogue Dark
Largo Bay Spiced
Capt. Morgan Tattoo
Appleton Estate Reserve
Parrot Bay Strawberry
Bacardi Razz
Trader Vic's Banana
Cruzan Black Cherry
Cruzan Citrus
Burnett's White
Cabana Boy Coconut
Parrot Bay Key Lime
Jolly Roger Coconut Key Lime
Parrot Bay Coconut

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-16 8:11 pm   Permalink

dang man, you're seriously behind on your drinking.

you can't take it with you!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-16 10:47 pm   Permalink

I've always been curious as re. the differences (if any) between the ED15 and the ED15 "Cuba Libre"...discuss.

phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-17 07:11 am   Permalink

I'll have to do a back-to-back on the two 15s when I get back from Seattle.

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-17 07:45 am   Permalink

according to the Googles, the 'cuba libre' version is a spiced rum (notes of vanilla etc).

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-17 4:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-17 07:45, thePorpoise wrote:
according to the Googles, the 'cuba libre' version is a spiced rum (notes of vanilla etc).

What's weird is that I have seen these rums pretty well distributed here, but never in the same store!

Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-20 12:47 pm   Permalink

I just got one from my wishlist for Father's Day, so I thought I'd post my current stock:

10 Cane (gets lots of use!)
Barbancourt 8yr
Clement VSOP (the Father's Day gift! Probably my new favorite.)
Cruzan Light (my go-to light rum)
Cruzan Single Barrel (also gets used a lot, but at $40 it's a bit pricey up here)
El Dorado 12yr
El Dorado 15yr
Havana Club 7yr (sure, you can get Cuban rum here, but the good stuff is so freakin' expensive!)
Lambs Navy 151 (not great, but sometimes gets used in guest's drinks - LH151 doesn't grow on trees, you know!)
Lemon Hart 80 (another frequent pour)
Lemon Hart 151 (only for drinks that call for it by name and only for myself and VIPs, like the mayor, or the Queen)
London Dock Demerara 100 proof (not recommended, will probably never use again)
Mount Gay Eclipse
Mount Gay Sugar Cane
Pyrat XO
Sagitaba Pura cachaca
Trader Vics Dark
Trader Vics Gold (TV rums just became available and are about as cheap as it gets up here while being relatively drinkable, so they're my go-to cheap rums for camping, punch bowls, etc.)
Zaya (great stuff, but since it sells for $65-$80 here I will only buy it in the US. Unfortunately, it's almost gone...)

I also have these for flavoured/rum liqueurs:
Bacardi Vanilla
Captain Morgan Private Stock (gift, not terrible but hardly worth a $38-$42 price tag)
Cruzan 9 spiced rum (has overtaken Sailor Jerry as my go-to spiced rum)
Cruzan Coconut
Legendario Elixer
Redrum (also gift)
Sailor Jerry spiced rum

I thought I had a pretty decent selection, until I saw Phinz' post above. Holy shit! Anyway, as many Canadian can attest, we have huge liquor taxes and provincial legislation over distribution that rivals the strictest control states. This is why I always max my duty exemption every time I go to the states, which is luckily 4 or 5 times a year.

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation