FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Lamps and other tiki projects. Puffer in a float lamps. New Stuff! 8/6/2013
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Lamps and other tiki projects. Puffer in a float lamps. New Stuff! 8/6/2013
spiked
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-14 7:25 pm   Permalink

Hello all!

I love browsing this forum, its pretty cool how everyone displays their art and shares their skills with everyone, so I decided to post my attempts as well, a few things that I made over past few years. I have found Tiki to be very inspirational in many many ways and I'm into everything from lamp making to jewelry and mugs and planning on finally trying my hand at carving this summer.
When we first got into Tiki, I fell in love with floats and float lamps eventually, I did some research and attempted to tie a few small floats, then sometime later, after some trial and error with spray paint and a few ruined glass floats I made my first float lamp!

[ This Message was edited by: spiked 2011-06-14 19:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: spiked 2011-06-15 10:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: spiked 2012-09-26 14:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: spiked 2013-08-06 10:29 ]

View Profile of spiked Send a personal message to spiked      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spiked
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-14 7:56 pm   Permalink

That little buddy went to its new home to friend of mine, it was 10" glass globe.
After more trial and error, and a suggestion from a friend to keep practicing and working on my netting skills, I made a few more globes, and figured out the type of paint and globe I want to use( I mostly stick to acrylic, after a few broken glass ones, and a trip to urgent care) to get a certain color and look.

Here are a few more that I made past few years.
12" glass one

Acrylics-6" ones

here they are lit up:

View Profile of spiked Send a personal message to spiked      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spiked
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-14 8:17 pm   Permalink

Here is a lighter blue one I had hanging outside and a huge monster 16" globe that took a very long time to tie and lots a lots of cans of paint!

Didn't get a chance to take a pic of it lit up, but you can see sunlight coming though it below

I've also been obsessed with shrunken heads, so I sorta converted one of the cheapy party store ones into a light, lol!

Puffer lamps are hard to find and they cost a lot plus the ship, so I figured, I'm gonna try to make one. Found a local supplier of puffers(no more unfortunately) and made a few puffers as well!

Then and of course, naturally, once you have done a puffer, on to the next-my all time fav tiki lamp puffer in a float! Yes. They make me bleed, ouch, but they are worth it!
Here it is along with green one-of my first glass ones I made. This one also went to a good home last week.

I hope you like them!
Thank you for looking!!!

-Lena.

zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-15 04:02 am   Permalink

Nice! I've been in the middle of a float lamp project for some time! Hope to finish it soon. Yours look great!

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spiked
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-15 08:42 am   Permalink

Puffer in the float are pretty cool and not that hard to make, I have seen several people made them here.
There are a thread here somewhere on how to make a plain puffer lamp. I'm just throwing in a few photos of a process I took. a Dremel is your friend.

spiked
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-15 10:30 am   Permalink

Shell lamps!
They are also fun to make, I'm planning on making a few more again. Here is my first one. I lost some of the photos of the process, but here is what I got. I don't have many tools yet, so I just use that I have. I found that ship's wheel from Michael's unfinished wood aisle is perfect size and sturdy enough for a heavy lamp like that.

Here are a few more I made a while ago, bamboo ones were a special request from a friend.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-15 10:48 am   Permalink

Spiked, you've been busy! Good looking lamps there.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spiked
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-15 10:57 am   Permalink

Sorry to bombard with images, lol, I got a few more to show
I have been discovering wonderful world of resin, and obsessed with it now as well. I loooove old Orchids and Oceanic Arts lamps, and I'm a big fan of Kahaka and TSkip's work, so I tired my hand at making some basket/resin/tapa combo's. They aren't perfect, but good enough to hang in my dark bar

First one of it's type:

Basket/hat/resin combos

and our most fav so far:

spiked
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-15 10:58 am   Permalink

Thank you, guys!!

WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-15 11:06 am   Permalink

WOW WOW WOW!!

I love all the lamp makers here and you're on the list now too.

Nice stuff.

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-15 11:12 am   Permalink

Great stuff spiked!!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spiked
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-15 11:16 am   Permalink

Thank you WD and Jeff!! I finally got around to posting it all,

-Lena.

KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-15 12:11 pm   Permalink

Wow, those are really nice Lena! We lamp makers need to organize a lamp swap! Excellent work.

Custom Tapa Swag Lamps and Sconces Built By Kahaka

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spiked
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-15 1:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-15 12:11, KAHAKA wrote:
Wow, those are really nice Lena! We lamp makers need to organize a lamp swap! Excellent work.

Ohhhhh thank you!!! You are the master of the lamp making, sir! I bow to you and your skills, such a compliment coming from you!!! I love all of your work, one day soon I hope to own one of your creations!
Lamp swap would be super awesome!
Thank you, thank you again!

-Lena.

Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-15 2:25 pm   Permalink

Wow, great lamps and a wide aray of styles, good job!

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation