Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Tiki Joe and the Bamboo Band
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki Joe and the Bamboo Band
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-20 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-20 15:22, Tiki Bill wrote:
Been a while sense I posted here, had to put off my exotica project for a while to make ends meet in this crazy new economy, But I have to agree with Tikiaki, While the tunes are good, I would leave a true tiki bar if they started playing it. Not because it's bad, it just don't fit the atmosphere. I'm sure I didn't make the above list because of my absence from the scene lately, but here is one of my exotica numbers for your listening pleasure. http://soundcloud.com/dj-lord-fader/island-mist

Tiki Bill.

Fucking hell!

If I heard THAT in a tiki bar, I would surely stay and enjoy this EXCELLENT example of what we are all talking about. This is true tiki music. Thank you. Thoroughly enjoyable!

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2011-06-20 15:26 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-20 3:31 pm   Permalink

Thanks Lucas. That means a lot coming from you I have one other in the can, and many other ideas, but unfortunately, funds have become a factor, and I have to concentrate on other things for now. I'm glad to see others doing well with it though! Gotta keep exotica alive!

Tiki Bill.

View Profile of Tiki Bill Send a personal message to Tiki Bill  Email Tiki Bill Goto the website of Tiki Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-20 3:33 pm   Permalink

I just added you to "the list". You are one of us now!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-20 3:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks Lucas! I swear, somehow, I will make the next Hukilau! Actually, I know Drew from Stolen Idols well, and they might play some of my tunes in the future. Sorry to be so much of a party pooper lately, but I have never forgotten all the good times with the Tiki centralites at past events, and when things get better here, you WILL hear more of the Tiki Bill Orchestra

Tiki Bill.

View Profile of Tiki Bill Send a personal message to Tiki Bill  Email Tiki Bill Goto the website of Tiki Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-20 4:09 pm   Permalink

Bill,I was wondering what happened to you. This is a great tune, and,like Lucas said...a fine example of Classic Exotica style.

Good to see you posting again.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-20 4:27 pm   Permalink

JIM! Whazzup! That first Tikiaki CD is still in heavy rotation here! I'll try to keep in touch here mor often in the future.

Tiki Bill.

tikijoeandthebambooband

Posted: 2011-06-29 11:52 am   Permalink

I understand where your coming from. I enjoy tiki and exotica. Ive traveled to the pacific islands and have a love for island culture. I think what I meant is that tiki culture fits into the whole island culture. I also get the whole island culture doesn't fit into tiki. I tend to combine them when i listen to music. I listen to a les baxter piece right next to a bob marley piece followed up by a calypso song. I apologize if i assumed others would feel that way. I do love exotica and polynesian pop. I hope to include that into tiki joe and the bamboo band through a couple of instrumental tracks. I will post them on here when they are finished and maybe they will get some better love. lol.
Anyways regarding the name. I've been going under the name TikiJoe for years as a dj. Heck my license plate on the car says tiki joe. I think the names and sounds are different enough not to cause confusion. Besides the other guy isnt even named joe. lol

View Profile of tikijoeandthebambooband Send a personal message to tikijoeandthebambooband  Goto the website of tikijoeandthebambooband     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 1:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-29 11:52, tikijoeandthebambooband wrote:
I understand where your coming from. I enjoy tiki and exotica. Ive traveled to the pacific islands and have a love for island culture. I think what I meant is that tiki culture fits into the whole island culture. I also get the whole island culture doesn't fit into tiki. I tend to combine them when i listen to music. I listen to a les baxter piece right next to a bob marley piece followed up by a calypso song. I apologize if i assumed others would feel that way. I do love exotica and polynesian pop. I hope to include that into tiki joe and the bamboo band through a couple of instrumental tracks. I will post them on here when they are finished and maybe they will get some better love. lol.
Anyways regarding the name. I've been going under the name TikiJoe for years as a dj. Heck my license plate on the car says tiki joe. I think the names and sounds are different enough not to cause confusion. Besides the other guy isnt even named joe. lol

Now THAT's funny! I think his name is actually "Andy"!

I don't know if you read back a few posts, but i did enjoy your Fillipino song. I actually like all things Filipino, from their martial arts to their shared ancestry with me, to their outgoing and always friendly attitude and sense of humor.

One thing you might immediately consider, if trying to get into the "tiki" thing more, is to start adding some of the trappings of tiki music, the birdcalls, exotic percussion, that sort of thing...because if you were to strip the percussion and birdcalls from martin denny or arthur lyman, you would basically be left with pop jazz of that era....their "window dressing" really made it into "tiki" and "exotica"..

Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-06-30 06:39 am   Permalink

Quote:
Anyways regarding the name. I've been going under the name TikiJoe for years as a dj. Heck my license plate on the car says tiki joe. I think the names and sounds are different enough not to cause confusion.

Are you kidding me? "Tiki Joe & the Bamboo Band"..."Tiki Joe's Ocean."

Most people would assume it's the same "Tiki Joe" with different bands/projects. And they would assume that "Tiki Joe" would be the award-winning one with 3 albums out...not you. Change the name.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijoeandthebambooband

Posted: 2011-07-02 10:29 am   Permalink

Hey Lucas,

Thanks for the encouragement. My wife is filipina and I wrote that song for her. I am definately going to be adding some more trappings of the tiki sound. A couple of tracks not online yet have the bird calls and ocean waves. I love exotic percussion and try to use it any time I can.

To the other guy,

Im not changing the name. I have common law trademark rights to the name and plan on using the Tiki Joe trademark for a host of things including a tiki style restaurant and resort.

View Profile of tikijoeandthebambooband Send a personal message to tikijoeandthebambooband  Goto the website of tikijoeandthebambooband     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-02 5:52 pm   Permalink

Don't thank me, man.

I still think it is a horrible idea to be named "tiki joe" when there already is a tiki joe, who is playing real tiki music, and who already is established. You may be trying to build a tiki empire on your own, and I wish you luck...because you will have few fans around here.

If I were you, I would change my "band" name, and work on the filipino angle (it would be quite a novelty and a good niche to have a non-filipino guy end up being succesful playing filipino songs, sung in tagalog..think about it, you might be one of the only people doing it!....) then you are not competing with someone already established in our commutity (which IS international, by the way) you would have your OWN thing...and people would accept you for that....what's wrong with changing your name? I have heard of Tiki Joe's ocean, and so has every single person on this forum (which is the center of all things tiki on this planet) but until you came here, I had never heard of YOU.

A band I was in made a serious mistake with this. We we doing REAL good, opening for famous 70's bands like Foghat and others, yet the name of our band was exactly that of a top DJ in Australia...who was more famous then us. We had the name (we thought) way before...but a simple google search would have revealed our ignorance, and we would have chosen something else. There is no shame in that. I would rather buy a new license plate then go around calling myself "tiki Joe" and claiming I was playing tiki music (you are not!) all the while there is an established artist with the same name, who won a Hawaiian music award and is headlining at the world's biggest Tiki event this summer (Tiki oasis).

Dig your own grave if you want to, but if it was me...I would call myself "Ska man Joe" or "Puti Joe" Or "haole Joe" something more relevant to the actual music you play, which for the 3rd and final time is NOT TIKI!

Sorry to be so harsh to a fellow musician who obviously has some talent, but you are making a terrible mistake in using an established artist's name and trying to even claim you are playing the same type of music.

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2011-07-02 17:54 ]

Quarterto3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-02 7:49 pm   Permalink

Listen, son. It's nothing personal but, to make a long story short, it's not Tiki Music (nor is it a reasonable facsimile thereof) so you probably shouldn't have posted it under the Tiki Music. Secondly, as has been mentioned numerous times prior, Tiki Joe's Ocean is established and is REAL tiki music. That's why he can post his music here and why he gets the love (and deservedly so) here.

I decided to Google you to learn more about you and your Tiki music and I did learn a lot. I saw that on your MySpace page that your music is listed under the genre: Reggae, Ska and Tropical (I'm assuming this means Jimmy Buffett, Bertie Higgins singing Key Largo, etc). You go on to list your influences as The Skatellites, Bob Marley, Beach Boys, Lord Kitchener, Martin Denny, etc. I listened to your music and saw a lot of the Skatellites, some Bob Marley, a little Beach Boys, a lot of Lord Kitchener but little to no Martin Denny. Again, as a result, it's not Tiki Music.

Your Reverb Nation pages says that "If you like Sublime, Bob Marley, Jimmy Buffett, Skatellites and Sugar Ray you'll like Tiki Joe and the Bamboo Band. I hate to report this but those bands, as talented as they are, are not "tiki."
You documented in your website that you and your producer Bones discussed your parallel love for ska, reggae and all around easy going good vibrations (I'm assuming the Beach Boys). This led you to recreate "the skankin' sounds." By "skankin' sounds" you clearly mean the sounds of the Skatellites, older Bob Marley, Lord Kitchener, etc. Again, this is not "tiki music."

So, I respect you because you are a musician and I am not and I wish I could play an instrument but, since I can't, I respect those who can. However, it's just not tiki and just doesn't belong here. Again, nothing personal. Peace and good luck. When you make an album that really and truly is "tiki" I welcome you to come back and post links so we can listen with anticipation.

[ This Message was edited by: Quarterto3 2011-07-02 20:25 ]

View Profile of Quarterto3 Send a personal message to Quarterto3      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-04 2:51 pm   Permalink

Yeah, +1 here on the music being not-tiki. Caribbean does not equal tiki (or Tiki if you prefer). Reggae is not tiki; I play reggae and calypso and would never call them tiki. I am also learning Hawaiian style steel guitar but have no intention of marketing it, if I ever do which is unlikely beyond local gigs, as tiki.

Buffet is a profiteer on the idea of tiki, but knows nothing about it; he's probably too drunk, or not drunk enough, to understand.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation