FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events 4th annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention, Sat. Aug 13th 2011, 9am to 8pm
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
4th annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention, Sat. Aug 13th 2011, 9am to 8pm
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-07 10:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-07 09:32, SoccerTiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-08-07 00:01, bigtikidude wrote:
if yer looking for something to do after the Beach Burn,
there are 3 different Tiki events going on Sat. Night.

The Amazing Slacktone is playing at Don the Beachcomber, 9 pm to midnight,

Hula Girls and Dick Dale are playing at the Couch House in Capistrano,

and CHUM is playing at the Purple Orchid, 9pm to midnight.

so take yer pick,
and keep the party rollin'
Jeff(btd)

yup,
agreed.

if you are looking for something to do after the Beach Burn,
or the SG101 convention,

see above.

Jeff(btd)

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2011-08-07 22:10 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-07 10:12 pm   Permalink

and time slot announcements for the bands, etc....

Doors open at 8 am, (Breakfast will be available for purchase)
Vending room opens 9 am, (maybe a bit earlier if all the vendors are set up and ready to go)
Show starts at 9:30 ish, (maybe a tad early if we are ready)

9:30am to 10:20am SG101 Member Jam
10:30am to 11:30am Legends Jam, Belairs(reunion/tribute), Eddie and the Showmen tribute, Davie Allan and the Arrows, (plus special award dedication to Davie)
11:40am to 12:25pm, The Blue Demons
12:35pm to 1:20pm, The Deadbeats
1:30pm to 2:15pm, The Cocktail Preachers
2:25pm to 3:10pm, Meshugga Beach Party
3:20pm to 4:05pm, The Tequila Worms
4:15pm to 5:00pm, The Bradipos IV
5:10pm to 5:55pm, Daikaiju
6:05pm to 6:50pm, The Razorblades
7:00pm to 8:00pm, Satan's Pilgrims

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 11:17 am   Permalink

Pre show party at the Purple Orchid

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 8:23 pm   Permalink

and After the Convention swing by Don the Beachcomber for this.

chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 1:03 pm   Permalink

3 more Days! Let the Reverb Begin!!

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 1:33 pm   Permalink

Can it be Saturday already ?

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-11 08:37 am   Permalink

Ok, I was going to post my top reason for attending the SG101 Surf Convention this Sat but just yesterday Jonpaul Balak (of Tikiyaki O, Insect Surfers, Tiki Magazine fame) posted a better sentiment on the SG101 website. I think it really articulates all the time, effort, and love that BTD puts into this great event. As I've stated before, BTD doesn't do this for his own personal recognition and he certainly doesn't do it for the money (he gives it all to the bands). He does it for the pure love of Surf music and the hope and vision to see it expand and continue.

He also does it all for YOU !! (which is why you should attend or at least drop in).

Anyway with JP's permission, here's his post from SG101...

Long time enthusiast, first time poster....
Don't ask me why I didn't start posting many moons ago...
Anyway, it's never too late, right?
I figured this would be the greatest surprise I could give BTD, smack-dab in the middle of his pre-convention stress period.

I just wanted to take a moment and commend the man, the myth, the legend, the enigma we all know and love...Lord Big Tiki Dude of the fabled Anaheim Hansens, whose fanaticism for this music has done so very much to enrich all of our lives!!! His hard work, dedication, passion, persistence and determination are unrivaled in just about any scene and it is primarily because of him that we are able to celebrate the drip in an official way again this year (for the 4th time--can you believe it??!!)! He goes soooooo far above and beyond for this music, not only putting the convention together, but promoting the reverb all year around! He quite literally is....the US ambassador of Reverb!!!! They should create a new seat for him at the UN! (OK, I'm getting carried away now...)

Seriously, though, Big Tiki Dude, Jeff Hanson, my brutha--we salute you!!!
Thank you so much for everything that you do! It does not go unnoticed or unappreciated!!!
Now, take a deep breath, throw back another 2 oz. of Zaya and give yourself a much-deserved pat on the back. We love you, man!!!

Truly looking forward to enjoying every second of this year's festivities, especially seeing everyone in person again! Oh yeah, and finally being an "official" active member. Cheers!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HB TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-11 10:33 am   Permalink

Well said my friend John-O about our Big friend "BIG TIKI DUDE". See you saturday

View Profile of HB TIKI Send a personal message to HB TIKI  Email HB TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sofa King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-11 9:33 pm   Permalink

Heck YES!

I'm stoked to be heading to this killer event again. If all goes well I'll make it to the the show at the Soda Bar Friday, SG101 on Saturday and Don's Saturday night. I have a friend from the right coast flying in on Friday who I'll be dragging to all these shows and Tiki Oasis.

My favorite week of the year is here again.

Jeff, thanks for: heading up this event again, scheduling it so close to Tiki Oasis, and making it fall on my BIRTHDAY this year. SWEET!

SK

[ This Message was edited by: Sofa King 2011-08-14 12:27 ]

View Profile of Sofa King Send a personal message to Sofa King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JONPAUL
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 8:01 pm   Permalink

Just one last opportunity to thank BTD and express how gigantic this day is going to be!
10 full bands, a legends of surf jam, more excellent, hard-to-find recorded music than you can find anywhere, good comfort food, stiff drinks, amazing, smart, talented people from all over the world---WTF!!!! Surf Guitar 101 Convention # 4 is undeniably going to be the greatest yet!!!
It'll be great to spend some quality time with everyone at what has become the world's foremost gathering of reverb junkies!!!
Thank you, BTD!!!
FIBERGLASS JUNGLE on Luxuria

View Profile of JONPAUL Send a personal message to JONPAUL  Goto the website of JONPAUL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-12 9:01 pm   Permalink

See ya tomorrow!

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-13 07:51 am   Permalink

BUMP! It's today! Headed down now..see y'all there!

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
marion-n-brad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-13 10:48 am   Permalink

Saw Daikaiju at the Soda Bar in San Diego last night. They killed it! Super high energy and really fun. They were so good almost makes me want to drive up north to see them again today.

View Profile of marion-n-brad Send a personal message to marion-n-brad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surf fink
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-14 07:19 am   Permalink

What a great day of music. Jeff is the king of concerts promoters. All the bands were just great, but The Tequila Worms and Satan's Pilgrims, really rocked the place. But hands down Daikaiju kicked ass, what a surprise, just blow away by them. THANK YOU JEFF p.s can't wait for next year.

View Profile of surf fink Send a personal message to surf fink      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-14 09:09 am   Permalink

Thanks BigTikiDude for a great event. Mrs. Fury & I loved the Bradipos IV but my favorites were The Deadbeats and The Tequila Worms. Amazing to hear some of the players of the first wave of surf music too.

Head over to Huntington Beach today and you can see many of the bands again...
http://www.surfingmuseum.org/events.html

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation