FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events 4th annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention, Sat. Aug 13th 2011, 9am to 8pm
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
4th annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention, Sat. Aug 13th 2011, 9am to 8pm
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-14 10:48 am   Permalink

WOW !!

BigTikiDude showed us the great DIVERSITY of Surf Music yesterday with his hand picked line-up of bands. Anyone who associates this music solely as "oldie" music needed to be there to "wake up and smell the coffee" (or in this case "hear the reverb", ha ha).

1. It spanned multiple generations from the First Wave with legends like Paul Johnson and Dick Dodd to the genre's next class of "kids" like the Deadbeats and Tequila Worms.

These latter 2 bands played with the intensity and passion of their youth, yet with the spirit of the music's origins. They had me grinning from ear to ear, especially the Tequila Worms who are our own local band based in Anaheim.

2. Also the Deadbeats and Tequila Worms, who are composed primarily of young Latinos, harken back to the music's early days, when many Mexican American Surf bands were springing up in Central California. People tend to associate the style with just suburban White teenagers in So Ca but even back in the early days, that wasn't the case.

3. It showed that Surf Music has no religious boundaries with Meshugga Beach Party. This band is comprised of Orthodox rabbis who play Jewish folk songs to a Surf Music beat. Ok, actually they're just dressed up as rabbis (including the fake beards), but they are all nice Jewish boys (and one nice Jewish girl).

4. Surf Music was represented from all corners of the globe with The Blue Demons from Canada, the Razorblades from Germany, and the Bradipos IV from Italy. Although all the bands were great, I think the Bradipos IV were especially an audience favorite. These bands illustrate the spirit of Surf Music transcending international borders, foreign culture, and language !! This is where some of the best music is coming from these days.

5. The "ringer" of the day was Daikaiju, who were a Kabuki-masked band playing Surf Music from another dimension. Was this really "Surf Music" or was it more akin to (brilliantly performed) instrumental speed-metal ?? The audience was deeply divided on the matter. Some of the traditionalists were horrified, but as you can see from Surf Fink's comments, some people considered Daikaiju the highlight of the day. Regardless, BTD forced us to confront and debate the question of "What exactly is Surf Music ?".

6. And yes, Satan's Pilgrims lived up to their great reputation. It was a fantastic experience to see them perform live. Also it's a sign of the Convention's significance that THEY would ask Jeff if they could perform there.

Tiki Central roll call: Mr & Mrs. Jason Wickedly, Chris B., Caltiki, Tikiyaki, Kirby, Mr. & Mrs. BongoFury, TNT (Teresa & Tim), HB Tiki, Sperm Whale & Whale Rider, Mambo King (Whorehay) & Dana, Jonpaul & Marie, and Kick the Reverb were among the Tikiphiles I recognized.

And hey, Tiki-dom's own Mr. J won the Fender American Vintage 62 Thin Skin Jazzmaster guitar raffle.

Kudos, to the Starting Gate's bar, kitchen, and wait staff. They busted their butts all day for a hungry and thirsty crowd where it was hard to hear orders. From what I could see, they performed with great attitudes to a very long and non-stop day.

And last but not least..

THANK YOU Big Tiki Dude !!

This event is only going to get bigger and better, and the future of Surf Music will only prosper as a result of your annual milestone event.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-08-14 11:30 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-14 12:14 pm   Permalink

Also on a related note, Mr. J and I stopped in at Don's for a post-convention cocktail and little bit of Slacktone before heading back to the Westside for a Purple Orchid nightcap with CHUM and the Riptides.

To my amazement, Slacktone went into a Crime Jazz medley with (former Nocturne) Jim Frias on Sax !! It was so cool it made me want to cry (tears of joy).

Sorry Dave & Rebecca, after that we didn't make it out in time to catch the PO in time.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sofa King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-14 1:01 pm   Permalink

This event was as good as I expected it to be. Unfortunately due to a late night at the Soda Bar and heavy traffic I didn't get to the show until 2. It was nice to finally see the Tequila Worms and boy did they impress me.

Jeff, if you caught heat for putting Daikaiju in the line up... THANK YOU for doing the right thing IMO and having them. I simply do not understand how a fan of music could not like or appreciate them live even if the music is not for you. They play top-of-the-line instro music. What is not to like? Once again a great, well organized event. Big thanks.

SK

View Profile of Sofa King Send a personal message to Sofa King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HB TIKI
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-08-14 8:24 pm   Permalink

Thank you Big Tiki Dude-See you at Tiki Oasis

View Profile of HB TIKI Send a personal message to HB TIKI  Email HB TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
slapbass
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-15 07:22 am   Permalink

Had a great time on Saturday..I thought the all the bands were great..I really enjoyed the fact that even though it was a surf event , the bands all sounded different..
The problem I have with festivals is a bunch of bands of a certain genre playing cookie cutter music..It was refreshing to see different styles of surf..
Im not the biggest fan of surf but the diversity of the bands was awsome..
My favorites..
Tequila Worms..Killed it
Daikaiju.. Peeled my face off..by far the most interesting band Ive seen in a long time..And it was fun debating Alabama football with them at Dons..
Satans Pilgrims..Nuff said..

The staff at the starting gate was great..They were slammed but they kept the budlight and Jameson flowing all day with smiles on their faces..

Thanx BTD and everyone else involved for putting it all together..

View Profile of slapbass Send a personal message to slapbass      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-15 1:20 pm   Permalink

That was a great event - thank you Big Tiki Dude for putting it together. When is the next one?

View Profile of TNT Send a personal message to TNT  Email TNT Goto the website of TNT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-16 01:19 am   Permalink

Lost In Paradise: 4th Annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahT2F1ufOVs

Mahaloz and Cheers!
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Lost-In-Paradise/190254427656607

Oh yah, and Bigtikidude is rockin' his bass around 1:33 in! SWEET!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: chrisandsarahb 2011-08-16 13:56 ]

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-16 2:14 pm   Permalink

Slapbass,
Not sure if we have met before,
But I am honored by your comments,
And that you attended the event.

And thanks to all TCers that came,
It really means a lot, and shows that you
Are open minded tiki peeps.
Cheers.

John O, thanks for the Great Review.

Thanks for the killer Lost in Paradise Chris.
Jeff btd

Quote:

On 2011-08-15 07:22, slapbass wrote:
Had a great time on Saturday..I thought the all the bands were great..I really enjoyed the fact that even though it was a surf event , the bands all sounded different..
The problem I have with festivals is a bunch of bands of a certain genre playing cookie cutter music..It was refreshing to see different styles of surf..
Im not the biggest fan of surf but the diversity of the bands was awsome..
My favorites..
Tequila Worms..Killed it
Daikaiju.. Peeled my face off..by far the most interesting band Ive seen in a long time..And it was fun debating Alabama football with them at Dons..
Satans Pilgrims..Nuff said..

The staff at the starting gate was great..They were slammed but they kept the budlight and Jameson flowing all day with smiles on their faces..

Thanx BTD and everyone else involved for putting it all together..

[ This Message was edited by: Bigtikidude 2011-08-16 14:17 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-16 7:49 pm   Permalink

As mentioned by others, that was an awsome event, very nice line up, my favorites were Satan's Pilgrims, Bradipos IV, Tequila Worms and the Deadbeats.
I salute Jeff for pulling this off so smoothly (he has few freaking out weeks pre-event behind the scenes), and for keeping nothing to himself.
Looking forward to next year!

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-16 8:21 pm   Permalink

Congratz Jeff on a KILLER Event.

I'll say it again...people here on TC give Jeff boatlods of crap, but in the SG101/Surf crowd, he is a "major playa" , as the kids say.....Respected, loved, and all that.

Many great bands throughout the day....I have to say, The Tequila Worms did a killer version of Miserlou, a song that usually gets the rolling eyes at surf shows, due to it being so overplayed. Their version of this was steroid injected for sure...just amazing.

So many good bands in one day. Satans Pilgrims...just so badass.

Plus, I can't tell you how many CD's I sold due to Jeff playing it for these people at his house....in the past, surf geeks just didn't really dig the exotica thing,but judging by this past convention, it seems that's changing,and I have to think that Jeff has something to do with it....so thanx for that.

Time for a bigger venue Jeff ? Looks like it to me.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-16 9:16 pm   Permalink

Agreed, a KILLER event! Bigtikidude organizer and promoter extraordinaire!

My faves of the day were The Tequila Worms and The Deadbeats. So cool to see such highly skilled musicians, driving energy and creativity in these young bands. Especially cool when I spoke with them, that they were looking forward to seeing some of the other bands. Class Acts!

Here is "The Tequila Worms" doing Misirlou a while ago at Don's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCWrGdTyPyw

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-16 9:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-14 12:14, JOHN-O wrote:

...To my amazement, Slacktone went into a Crime Jazz medley with (former Nocturne) Jim Frias on Sax !! It was so cool it made me want to cry (tears of joy).

Cool, someone filmed this at the official Post-Convention show at Don's.

From Spy-Fi to Crime Jazz actually...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50UiX3G1LFo

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-08-16 21:59 ]

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-16 10:23 pm   Permalink

Love the Spy & Crime tunes, thanks John-O
And Jeff is the man, he gives so much of his own time to
promote these shows and events and deserves mucho kudos for his work!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 08:47 am   Permalink

Finally got some time to sit down on a real computer,
Been running to shows for a week strait,
getting 4 hours sleep, then working in the day.

Thanks so much to all of my Tiki Friends who came and enjoyed the show.
It means a lot to me, and the heartfelt comments are so nice.

Thanks you all.
Jeff(btd)

p.s. what do I gotta do to get Otto, and Sven to show up at this?

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
slapbass
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 12:10 pm   Permalink

Hey BTD..I dont think we have ever met..I dont attend alot of the events,but I play around town alot..Lots of familiar faces.. I know how passionate you are about the music and since you put the show on it was worth the gamble..
You promote very well..Good job providing websites and shows and youtube videos on the bands that were playing..

Now if I could only sell you Outlaw Country..You could have a job promoting the laziest most sought after band around..Ill leave the name out of it..hahaha

Ill make it a mission to introduce myself next time Im around and we'll tip some back..

And no..Squid..Dartin Menny..Lucas..Theres no Bromance budding here!!!!!

View Profile of slapbass Send a personal message to slapbass      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation