FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts making an old beer sign a recycled tiki sign....
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
making an old beer sign a recycled tiki sign....
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-22 6:44 pm   Permalink

Back in the 50's and 60's, Hamm's beer made some of the best lookin' beer sign novelties. Just take a quick glance on ebay and you'll see even the broken ones going for big bucks. Every so often i happen across a busted one at a flea market or estate sale, which is really the only place to find them these days. The one pictured below i found for $6.50 at an estate sale last weekend. I decided to rebuild it from scratch and turn it into a cool tiki themed "BAR OPEN" sign. I'm about half way finished with it and as soon as it's finished i'll post pics of what i did to it. For now, these pics are what I started with.......

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-22 10:47 pm   Permalink

Tipsy, I remember those. Didn't the water shimmer or something? How did those work? Can't wait to see your plan.

From the land of sky blue waters, comes the beer refreshing

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-23 04:54 am   Permalink

This particular model contains only a small flourescent bulb. It originally did nothing more than illuminate the background photo print and the hamm's logo. Some of these from back in the day were pretty delux- they featured the moving water option, the bouncing colored balls and the most popular (and most expensive to buy these days ) , starry nite which featured a mid century style plastic house structure with moving, twinkling stars.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-23 1:36 pm   Permalink

Have always loved this idea.
But you are right the old signs
even the ones that are messed up
can cost too much.
Got an old Strohs Glass from a sign that
I wanted to tikify.
But hit a snag and put it aside.
Have another rotating light that is waiting
to be worked on.

Great idea Tipsy can't wait to see your work.
Maybe you could start a "from this to that" thread.
Green tiki.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 8:09 pm   Permalink

Okay- about 75% finished..... still a way to go so don't get too critical just yet....

here's some progress pics.....

The original flourescent light fixture was shot..... it's fuse/ ballast blew when i plugged it in. No sense tryin to find a replacement for it so i just pulled it out and used 2 candelabra sockets with 2 orange xmas bulbs instead.

I kept the gold trim look around the yellow acrylic sign area. I wanted to keep the look simple and try to stay true to the look of what a novelty tiki sign might look like if this were made back in the day. still have to add lettering and a few details on the back wall of the bar.

I'm going to float the word "BAR" off the back wall and the word "open" on the yellow acrylic in the gold frame. I didn't want to use the word tiki because i felt it would be redundant. after all, we all know what it is when we look at it - it already says tiki bar without saying tiki bar. besides, once this is hanging behind or near a real home tiki bar, it's gonna make sense as something in/around the bar, announcing that the bar is ready to serve booze.

stay tuned !!

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2011-06-29 20:27 ]

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 8:21 pm   Permalink

Looks great so far.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-29 8:40 pm   Permalink

Great transformation, love the lighting.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-29 9:03 pm   Permalink

Terrific. This is fun, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 11:15 pm   Permalink

Love it.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-30 07:01 am   Permalink

Wow! That's totally cool! Can't wait to see it completed.

How big is it? In some of the pix it looks pretty hefty, and in others, not so large.

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-30 08:12 am   Permalink

Really cool looking so far... I wish I had room for pieces like that.

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-30 10:13 am   Permalink

WOW, that is quite a change. Love what you have done to it.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-30 10:18 pm   Permalink

Great googli moogli, that is awesome!

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gold zephyr
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-30 11:02 pm   Permalink

6 hams up

View Profile of gold zephyr Send a personal message to gold zephyr      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-01 04:57 am   Permalink

thanks for the positive encouragement everyone !!

I hope to make a little more progress this weekend. I'm juggling a few different projects right now.

I'd like to get the thatch roof installed and a few other details. I'll have to do the lettering next week.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation