[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel The Swanky's Do Cali
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Swanky's Do Cali
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 6:08 pm   Permalink

Swanky,

Last time I was in the City (SF) I used quickbook to get a "secret sale" deal on a hotel. I got a great hotel and location at a great price. Told them it was my anniversary at the front desk (which it was) and even got a free upgrade. Here's the link.

http://www.quikbook.com/avail_search_mix.asp

You can check it to see what's offered in different areas of the City.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 7:05 pm   Permalink

In San Francisco you will find some cool shops on "Grant Street" just above the NorthBeach area
Get some great Italian food and check out the vintage & Kitchy stores on Grant St.
Then take a walk threw China Town which is right next to the Northbeach Area.

Most of the other Vintage stores are in "Haight Ashbury", as is "Amoeba Music" a very cool record store.
SF Museum of Modern Art which is Downtown and not to far from the "Fairmont Hotel" is a must see also.

Have a great Trip!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-07 2:07 pm   Permalink

To avoid creating another thread very similar to this, I'm going to chime in here - hope you don't mind Swanky...

I'm also making the big trip to Oasis for the first time, and have tacked on a few days afterwards in LA, followed by a few more in San Fran, and have a long list of tiki bars to visit in a short time (tough job!). Seems like I'm interested in the same things as Swanky, but first I need to find somewhere to stay - to narrow down the search, is there a particular area in LA and San Fran that is best suited for easy access between the various bars?

Our itinerary is something like this:
Chicago - Aug 14-19
San Diego (Oasis) - Aug 19-22
LA - Aug 22-25: Dons (mon night), Bahooka, Oceanic Arts, Tiki-Ti wed night, Tonga hut etc.
San Fran - Aug 25-28: Forbidden Island, Smugglers cove, Tonga Room, TV's etc

Looking forward to meeting some TCers there!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-10 10:31 am   Permalink

Guys, if you have time in your schedule to spend the night in Alameda, when you make anchor at Forbidden Island, I'd recommend the Hawthorne Suites, cnr Webster and Lincoln Ave - really close to FI. Hotel of choice for Tiki Crawl.
http://www.oaklandhs.com/ (510) 522-1000

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-10 4:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-07 14:07, harro wrote:
...is there a particular area in LA that is best suited for easy access between the various bars?

Based on the places you mentioned I'd say Downtown LA, but I'm not sure if you'd prefer a more "beachy" tourist location. Most of those places are spread out pretty far and in rush hour traffic, the drive could be pretty frustrating. I'd recommend the following:

1. As you're driving north from San Diego, stay in Huntington Beach or Sunset Beach on Monday for Don's. There are several inexpensive motels in walking distance (not sure what your budget is).

2. The following day you could drive north on the 605 freeway to Whittier for Oceanic Arts, and then east on the 10 freeway for a visit to the Bahooka in Rosemead (which is open from Noon on). Arguably there's not too much else of interest in those areas for your typical tourist, although Bahooka is located in the San Gabriel Valley where you'll find hundreds of authentic Chinese restaurants. From there head towards Downtown LA or Hollywood for your next hotel.

3. Either location has practical access to East Hollywood for Tiki Ti and North Hollywood (completely separate city despite the name) for Tonga Hut and Tiki No, as well as the Downtown LA Trader Vics. Too bad you can't experience Tonga Hut on Sunday afternoons, the vibe is VERY different with the majority TC crowd and of course Marty Lush spinin' and Kelly mixin'. FYI, it's best to get to Tiki Ti early as later in the evening bar seating can be scarce.

4. If you're flying out of LAX after 3:30pm, Purple Orchid in El Segundo is not too far from the airport.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-13 4:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the great info and plan JOHN-O. Let us know if you have any tips for a cheap hotel in the HB/Sunset beach area. I'll keep searching through old threads as well.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-13 4:28 pm   Permalink

I've stayed at this place before when I was not in a condition to drive after drinking at Don's...

http://www.pacificviewinnandsuites.com

The furnishings and bedding were old but clean. These are budget accomodations in stumbling distance to Don's.

I would stay there again just for a night.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-13 5:31 pm   Permalink

I recommend the Sanathra Hotel (Motel) on PCH in Sunset Beach. I stayed there once and found it to be a much better hotel than the Ocean View or 777 and I got a much better rate there. I booked through one of the online sites (hotwire, expedia, etc, I cannot recall exactly which one) and got a very good rate. There is an island themed motel next to it that I noticed, but I have no idea what the rates and availablility there are.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation