FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Curacoa Preferences?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Curacoa Preferences?
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-24 12:54 am   Permalink

I used to think that which ever brand I used didn't matter since they all taste the same and most drinks do not call for large amounts. Then I tried Senior "Curacao of Curacao" Clear Liqueur and ,at least for me, it ruined my Mai Tais. There was this undercurrent of rancid orange that threw off the drink. However I used the same curacao in a batch of margarita's and they were fantastic. I need to pick up some Bols and do more comparisons, but was curious on what others prefer.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-24 03:04 am   Permalink

Eric,

Senior Curaçao ruined my Mai Tais as well. Senior has a too-bright orange note, and at the same time lacks sufficient body to work in a Mai Tai. My best Mai Tai is made with Grand Marnier, or better yet, one of the Marnier knock offs, such as GranGala Orange or Gran Torres Orange Liqueur. The Orgeat that TV used in his original 1944 recipe, Garnier syrup from France (which would have been of pre-war vintage in 1944), would have contained some measure of brandy which was used as a preservative in the syrup:

http://www.cocktaildb.com/ingr_detail?id=342

Also, Gran Marnier was originally labeled as "Curaçao Marnier" when it was imported into the States, and for many years afterwards. It was the first and original Curaçao that was imported into the USA:

http://education.mhusa.com/section/1188226012656/1187801869656.htm?gw=bp

With this in mind, Grand Marnier (and it's clones) are historically (and culinarily) correct to use in a Mai Tai.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-06-24 06:29 am   Permalink

When I'm mixing up a "top shelf" Mai Tai, I use Rhum Clement Creole Shrubb: http://www.drinkupny.com/Clement_Creole_Shrubb_p/s0768.htm?utm_source=Vinquire&utm_medium=WineFeed&utm_content=Clement+Creole+Shrubb+Liqueur+DOrange&utm_campaign=base&v_traceback=c0609_2015_f0621_2254

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-24 06:40 am   Permalink

I stick to Cointreau. At one point I may experiment with Clement, or Citronge, but for now I use Cointreau whenever something calls for triple sec, or Curacao, etc. I generally only use Grand Marnier where it's specifically indicated.

Now you know.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-24 07:08 am   Permalink

Anything wrong with dekruper? I like that it has no HFCS.

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-24 07:17 am   Permalink

sometimes I use Dekuyper in maitai. sometimes i actually use triplesec (Joaquin).

I try to avoid grand marnier in cocktails bc it tastes too heavy and influences the flavor profile too much, imo.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-24 08:35 am   Permalink

Someone at sometime is gonna say, "WTF?"

Here's a link that's helped me

http://ohgo.sh/category/cocktails/orange-liqueur-showdown/

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aloha.taboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-24 08:43 am   Permalink

Great article!! Thanks!!

Quote:

On 2011-06-24 08:35, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:

View Profile of aloha.taboo Send a personal message to aloha.taboo  Email aloha.taboo Goto the website of aloha.taboo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-24 11:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-24 08:43, aloha.taboo wrote:
Great article!! Thanks!!

You can always get lost in here, too.

Mai Tai: a component study in mixology
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=20200&forum=10&start=45&hilite=mai%20tai

Martiki said this:

Quote:
3. Curacao- Having just gone to a tasting with the importer of Senior Curacao, and trying all of the US available products, I do have some fresh thoughts on this.

And there are important differences between all those products listed by C&A- they are not interchangeable.

There is only one real Curacao in the world, and that is Senior & Co. Curacao of Curacao. They own the last remaining curacao orange groves on earth, and still produce it today with these oranges. It is, I think, wonderful. In the US, you can get the clear, blue and orange varieties. The spirit is naturally clear- the rest are all just food coloring. I think it's great that we can get the clear in the US now- good news Jabbo! The Jab has said that the Senior & Co. brand is too overpowering in the Mai Tai's original ratios, and I'm inclined to agree. I'd cut it back a touch and increase the simple syrup to taste.

As for the other Curacaos on the market, Marie Brizzard is excellent and my personal favorite after the Senior. I think it has a lot of character. After that, the DeKuyper. (Vic invented the Mai Tai with DeKuyper, by the way, but it was the original Dutch version, and probably made with real oranges and no HFCS. DeKuyper is now made in the states under license)

Cointreau and Grand Marnier are different spirits entirely, and at 80 proof, will impart a different character/sweetness level on your Mai Tai than 60-62 proof Curacao. They are made with real orange, however, which is always a plus.

99.999% of Triple Sec is unusable trash. It is 50 proof chemicals and HFCS and should be avoided. Luxardo does make a triple sec with real oranges, but it is more like Cointreau.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-24 6:14 pm   Permalink

I'm sorry but I have to disagree that Senior Curacao makes an inferior Mai Tai. I kind of hate to write this as, like Donn Beach, I don't like to reveal my secrets, but here is my Ultimate Mai Tai and it uses Senior Curacao. It is the Trader Vic recipe as described in Sippin' Safari (Orgeat and Simple Syrup increased to 3/8oz vs. 1/2oz) and I've only specified the specific ingredients. Some of these ingredients are really hard to get but luckily I live in the San Francisco bay area so they are only hard to get.

1oz freshly squeezed lime juice
1oz Appleton Estate Extra Rum (12 year)
1oz Saint James Royal Amber Rum
1/2oz Senior Curacao
3/8oz Trader Tiki Orgeat
3/8oz Small Hand Foods Gum Syrup

Garnish with spent lime shell, mint, cherry and pineapple

I just tried substituting 1/2 oz Grand Marnier for the Senior Curacao and tasted them side by side (see picture below). I've previously tried Grand Marnier knowing that it is a Curacao (before I found a source for Senior Curacao), and my impressions were the same as before, it makes for a very boring Mai Tai! The Grand Marnier version is very bland, less fruity, less tart and a one dimensional flavor profile. The Senior version has a broad spectrum of flavors and after tastes which makes it a more interesting drink to me. My guess is that you must be using more than 1/2oz of Grand Marnier to make it interesting. As always tastes are an individual preference and you know what you like. I'm not saying that you're wrong but we certainly are different! After two Mai Tai's I feel like doing more research!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-24 9:46 pm   Permalink

Wow, so many options! I'm curious about the Clement but I haven't seen it around here in a while. I've used Grand Marnier in other drinks before, but thought it might be a tad too hardy for a Mai Tai,but now I'm going to mix up a few tonight and give it a try.Also,I will definitely keep triple sec away from my drinks. This just highlights that every detail counts when mixing up a vacation in a glass.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-24 10:04 pm   Permalink

The Marnier knockoffs, particularly Stock's GranGala, aren't as heavy as Grand Marnier and have brighter orange flavors. To each his own, but for me, Gran Gala makes a hell of a Mai Tai. Here's my go-to recipe:

1oz Lime Juice
.5oz Teisseire Orgeat
.5oz GranGala
1oz Appleton Reserve
1oz LaFavorite Vieux(or St James Extra Old)

Mahalo,

Craig

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-25 03:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-24 08:35, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:

WTF indeed. If you don't like Senior Curacao Mai Tai's, you simply don't like Mai Tai's.

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sparkle Mark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-25 03:13 am   Permalink

I hafta be on the side of TropicDrinkBoy's opinion on the Senior Curaçao of Curaçao is the one and only.

Cognac does not belong in a Mai Tai, it may be tasty but call it something else, you've just created a fabulous new drink.

View Profile of Sparkle Mark Send a personal message to Sparkle Mark  Goto the website of Sparkle Mark     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-25 08:29 am   Permalink

Curacao has been discussed here before:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=18559&forum=10&start=0

I wonder if anyone has tried the Meagher's Grand Curacao and how they feel it stacks up to others? It might only be available up in the Great White North.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation