FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Curacoa Preferences?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Curacoa Preferences?
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-25 08:56 am   Permalink

FWIW, when you watch the video Martin Cate did on the Mai Tai for chow.com, he uses Senior Curacao. (I'll stick to Cointreau unless and until someone gives me a freebie bottle of Senior, and then only to experiment.)

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-26 05:21 am   Permalink

jokeiii, like you, Cointreau is my choice for Mai Tais. I prefer it for Margaritas as well, and pretty much anything where an orange liqueur is called for. It's an expensive preference, however.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sparkle Mark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-26 10:24 am   Permalink

Cointreau is markedly "boozier" than Senior Curaçao.
The clear variety of Senior Curaçao is free from the food coloring aftertaste.

View Profile of Sparkle Mark Send a personal message to Sparkle Mark  Goto the website of Sparkle Mark     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-26 12:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-26 05:21, TikiTomD wrote:
jokeiii, like you, Cointreau is my choice for Mai Tais. I prefer it for Margaritas as well, and pretty much anything where an orange liqueur is called for. It's an expensive preference, however.

Tom, fortunately for me, my local Costco carries Cointreau so it's not painfully expensive -- agreed on the use in margaritas -- at +/-$29.99 for the 1L.

I'll eventually try out the Citronge and Clement and see how they compare, but for right now, it's my go-to.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rangda
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-26 6:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-24 18:14, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
1oz freshly squeezed lime juice
1oz Appleton Estate Extra Rum (12 year)
1oz Saint James Royal Amber Rum
1/2oz Senior Curacao
3/8oz Trader Tiki Orgeat
3/8oz Small Hand Foods Gum Syrup

I prefer Rhum Clement VSOP over the 3 varieties Saint James, but other than that I use the same ingredients for my ideal Mai Tai. (Sadly SHF syrups are no longer sold in MA so if I want them I have to order direct. I've been 'slumming' with Scrappy's instead which is also good but SHF is slightly better IMO.)

View Profile of rangda Send a personal message to rangda      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-26 7:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-25 03:13, Sparkle Mark wrote:
I hafta be on the side of TropicDrinkBoy's opinion on the Senior Curaçao of Curaçao is the one and only.

Cognac does not belong in a Mai Tai, it may be tasty but call it something else, you've just created a fabulous new drink.

Tell that to Trader Vic. He used deKuyper. Senior is thin and lacks body to me, Clément's Creole Shrubb has more body and yield a better viscosity in the final cocktail, and is my fall back if i'm out of GranGala. And you do realize that the original Garnier Orgeat that Vic used in his Mai Tai contained brandy, no?

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2011-06-26 19:31 ]

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-26 9:30 pm   Permalink

I've scrapped triple sec in my margaritas altogether and use agave syrup in its place.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-27 06:59 am   Permalink

Someone gave me a bottle of Patron Citronge orange liquer, and it does a fine job in a Mai Tai.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-27 1:30 pm   Permalink

I haven't had a chance to pick up Cointreau or a Grand Marnier variation but I gave Senior another go and it just doesn't do it for me. Personal taste is often subjective so in a few months I'll try it again.Now off to the liquor store!

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-28 09:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-27 06:59, Kill Devil wrote:
Someone gave me a bottle of Patron Citronge orange liquer, and it does a fine job in a Mai Tai.

Have you tried it in other things? (Margaritas, say.)

jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-28 1:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-28 09:49, jokeiii wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-06-27 06:59, Kill Devil wrote:

Have you tried it in other things? (Margaritas, say.)

I thought it tasted like orange floor cleaner in everything I put it in. Again, taste is subjective. I bought it off of this beautiful Mexican woman and couldn't say "no." I was in the middle of nowhere and needed curacao for a mai tai. That was all she had. I poured it down the drain after two cocktails.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-28 2:22 pm   Permalink

When a recipe calls for "Orange Curacao" I use Senior, none other. I prefer it above any other I've tried - I don't substitute other orange liqueur when Curacao is called for.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-28 3:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-28 14:22, GentleHangman wrote:
When a recipe calls for "Orange Curacao" I use Senior, none other. I prefer it above any other I've tried - I don't substitute other orange liqueur when Curacao is called for.

Agreed. The Bols and DeKuyper brands always tasted a bit... chemically, for my tastes. I see what others are saying about Seniors tasting a bit "thin" (it's as good a word as any), but the actual aroma of the orange oil from the rinds of the fruit are what save it. It's so clean. I don't really know how else to put it. Other than that I actually found that Grand Marnier made for a better mai tai than Cointreau, but again, everyone has their own preferences.

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-28 4:15 pm   Permalink

Nobody's said anything about Marie Brizzard. Well?

Don't make me go searching old threads!

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-28 7:48 pm   Permalink

whether it be curacao or triple sec, it should be seen but not heard...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation