FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Where are these "Mystery Tikis" from?
Where are these "Mystery Tikis" from?
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-25 5:57 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

These two tikis came into the mall today, and I can't quite figure out where they're from. The dealer who brought 'em in said the fella she bought them from told her they were from a Restaurant or Lounge in California, and he got 'em back in the 80's. That's all the info he gave her.
They are about 3 1/2' tall and made of concrete with aggregate mixed in for strength. There are no makers marks. They are identical, so they must have been manufactured by a company that made a good number of these.

Any ideas?

Mahaloz!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-25 7:34 pm   Permalink

Sven will probably be able to weigh in with better/more info, but those are some old concrete lawn tikis, seemingly inspired (or created by) M. H. Strikow's '60s Kahlua decanter (which was maybe aiming for a South American vibe, rather than Polynesian). They do crop up here & there, and they're pretty cool!

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=949

This Tiki Central post from Sven shows the statue he has in his own yard:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=30812&forum=5&vpost=425661

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-25 11:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks Humu. Here is a post that shows some of the other uses of the design:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1099&forum=5&vpost=567701

The lawn Tikis design is not quite as abstract as the Strikow bottle, but they are clearly related. Here is another photo of the dark ones in Situ, courtesy of Sabu:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1099&forum=5&vpost=569116

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-26 12:18 am   Permalink

Yeah, the Strickow Decanter was the first thing I thought of too when I saw 'em. I also figgured they were just lawn statues as well, but I hadda ask...

Thanks A Bunch!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-26 10:00 am   Permalink

After seeing these photos I have much more appreciation of the ones in our backyard. Thank you for posting, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-26 9:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-25 17:57, Tiki Lee's wrote:
Aloha Folks!

These two tikis came into the mall today, and I can't quite figure out where they're from. The dealer who brought 'em in said the fella she bought them from told her they were from a Restaurant or Lounge in California, and he got 'em back in the 80's. That's all the info he gave her.
They are about 3 1/2' tall and made of concrete with aggregate mixed in for strength. There are no makers marks. They are identical, so they must have been manufactured by a company that made a good number of these.

Any ideas?

Mahaloz!

The tikis are for sale in the Charleston Antique Mall for $375/pair. They were purchased at an estate sale on Friday for $80/pair. Helluva markup

View Profile of TikiPug Send a personal message to TikiPug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-06-26 11:36 pm   Permalink

I passed on those at that sale, but know I saw that old image, I have a better appreciation for them!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-27 01:31 am   Permalink

That's the name o' the game, TP, you know that!

Kinda like LP's that are 50cents at a yard sale that sell for $10 or more on-line...

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee's 2011-06-27 01:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee's 2011-06-27 01:34 ]

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation