FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Canadian liquor/ingredient advise
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Canadian liquor/ingredient advise
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-30 10:12 am   Permalink

I was going to post about curacaos/orange liqueurs that are available in Canada on that other thread in response to Slacks Ferret's question about a local curacao. However, since most Canadian province rival the most strict of control states for distribution and pricing, I thought it was time start a thread where we can exchange liquor advise and maybe get some feedback from other Canadians or Americans on what's good, what's not, where to find it, etc. For starters, it seems all the Canucks on TC are either from BC, AB, ON, or PQ. Each of these provinces have websites for their respective liquor boards:
www.bcliquorstores.com
www.liquorconnect.com
www.lcbo.com
www.saq.com
These are great resources to see what's available to you or what's available nearby. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, we can't get some of the recommended or must-have products in tiki bartending, like Lemon Hart 151 (WTF, Mosaiq!?) or Senior Curacao of Curacao. Even different kinds of syrups and bitters are tough to come by. So, let's use this to our advantage, eh?

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-30 10:41 am   Permalink

On the subject of orange liqueurs, Slacks was wondering about Meaghers Grand Curacao. I don't know why, but this is the only orange (colored) curacao available in our market, aside from the brandy-based liqueurs. I've used it before, but since I travel to the US a lot, I've picked up a few things I prefer, like Dekuypers "Signature" and Senior Curacao. (Dekuyper gets a lot of flack, but I found a cheaper version and the slightly more expensive Signature version at BevMo and the Signature is really not that bad.) As expected, the Grand Curacao is slightly sweeter than Meaghers Triple Sec, but neither of them are great. Just not bad. We have very little in our market, but there are a few that I'm curious about. Here's a list of what's available. If you've tried any of these and have some feedback, please reply...
The usual suspects:
Grand Marnier (great but pricey)
Cointreau (ditto)
Citronge
Stock Gran Gala
Triple Sec
- Meaghers (serviceable, but stay away from the following)
- Bols
- Mcguinness
- Highwood
- Henkes
- Dobouchett
The not so usual:
Clement Creole Shrubb (not my fave in a mai tai, but a delicious liqueur!)
Giffard Curacao-Triple Sec (supposed to be among the best, according to this article:
http://ohgo.sh/archive/orange-liqueur-awards/)
Dobbe (cognac-based)
Angel D'or (looks like a Spanish Grand Marnier)
Bols Red Orange (Bols Orange Curacao and Dry Orange are supposed to be pretty good, anyone tried this?)
Metelka Shaker Curacao (don't know for sure, but this might actually be a blue)
Mcguinness Orange and Brandy
As a side note, the best blue curacaos available are probably Bols and Marie Brizzard, however, we can't seem to get Marie Brizzard Orange Curacao, which is apparently quite good. Not that anyone wants a blue mai tai, but I'm curious about how the MB blue compares to their orange. Anyone got anything to add?

[ This Message was edited by: Brandomoai 2011-06-30 10:45 ]

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-30 12:58 pm   Permalink

chicks dig the blue mai tai...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
corrinnao
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-30 7:51 pm   Permalink

Ohhh I like this thread! I'm in Ontario and it is by far thee strictest out of all the provinces. We don't have any rhum agricole, and forget about finding Lemon Hart even though it was recently distributed through corby's in Mississauga. The only dark Jamaican is Myer's but it is only available in select locations and has a decieving Planter's Punch label. LCBO employees think it's a premade mix, but rest assured, it's strictly rum. Even sadder is that the only 151 is Barcardi... but I' m hoping there will be a happy day for rum soon. On my way back from Ohana, I found a Lamb's Navy overproof which I quite enjoyed. Is anyone familiar w Lamb's? I also have the Lamb's Demerara navy rum too that I like. But I'm confused about the Navy part. I thought Pusser's was the only Navy rum...

On another note, a new store opened down the street that sells really neat vintage home bar supplies. I suggested she also sell bitters and syrups since she would be the first store in Toronto to feature these them and I gave her a huge list of American producers. She only has Fees Bros so far but that's good enough for me!! No more ordering off the interweb! I forget the name but I can find out if anyone is interested...

View Profile of corrinnao Send a personal message to corrinnao      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-30 8:06 pm   Permalink

Great idea for a thread Brandomoai. Here's a question for ya, even though it's not technically booze, what do you use for orgeat? Best I could find is Orzata syrup at my local Italian grocery.

BTW: if you do come down later this month, when TW hits town, we can do a test comparison of Coco Lopez and Coco Colada.

Oops, I just turned this into a Canadian Tropical drink ingredients thread.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-01 11:25 am   Permalink

Great thread, B.M. I hope it becomes a useful resource. I'm constantly frustrated by not being able to source "staple" cocktail ingredients like orange bitters, falernum, and so on.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-01 6:01 pm   Permalink

Well, being flat broke at the moment means I won't be buying anything anyways, but I do know we can get Lemon Hart here in Vancouver. Just the regular, tho'.
We used to have the 151, but no longer. Could probably order some through a local store, but the minimum for any special order is an entire case! (Which I almost thought about doing a while back for some Yukon Jack, also gone missing from our shelves)

For orgeat, I have some Tina Orzata.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-01 9:15 pm   Permalink

That's the same orzata we get in Edmonton and Calgary. It's fine, although purists will say it's missing the orange flower water component. I found Torani Orgeat at a coffee shop in Canmore, but I've never seen it in Edmonton. It's a lot thinner and more translucent. The one I prefer but ration due to the fact that I can only get it in Vancouver is Giffard (so good!). At the Italian Centre in Edmonton, I think we can still get Monin Almond, which is apparently the same as what they used to label as Orgeat. I've also seen some Middle Eastern variants, but I suspect they're along the same lines as the orzata from Italy. Hey Slacks, that's what this thread is all about! We can't all hit every little ethnic grocer to see if they have Coco Lopez or falernum or passion fruit puree or whatever else we may be looking for. We've gotta' help each other out! BTW, I've had Coco Lopez in the US, and it's good stuff. But without comparing them side-by-side, I can't say how Coco Colada stands up. I've used Goya as well, and it's all basically the same. I kinda' expect the Coco Lopez to be better, though. More flavorful or something. PM if the plan works out with the details!
SDT, never seen any bitters but Angostura here, although there is a Western Canadian distributor for Fee Bros. Here's the response I got from them via e-mail:
Quote:
Please contact Far-Met Importers at 604-876-2241 for assistance.

Someone in Vancouver should get in touch with these guys. They're obviously not doing their job, because I've never seen Fee Bros. products anywhere in AB or BC! Since I bought the last 2 bottles of Velvet Falernum from that East/West Indian grocer on Stony Plain, they haven't restocked. Still, I think there are other Caribbean places I haven't had time to check out, probably in the North East. It'd be nice to find a steady supply of falernum. My first and only attempt at homemade failed miserably...
Hey corrinnao, I have Lambs Navy 151. When you look at what's available here for overproof rums (Bacardi, Wray & Nephew, and Lambs Navy) I think it's probably the best substitute at hand for Lemon Hart 151. It's not as good, but it's certainly better than some of the cheap, swill overproof I've tried in the US (anyone tried Potters West Indies Overproof? Big mistake). It's at least very dark and a little spicy and smokey. And if the old legend is still true, there may be some Demerara mixed in there, along with 17 other Caribbean rums! I have a single, precious bottle of the old stock of LH151 that I will use very sparingly until a) we get some distribution of the new stock or b) it becomes available in one or more of my regular US destinations. I say go ahead and enjoy the Lambs - it makes a decent zombie!

Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-02 2:30 pm   Permalink

They carry some Fee Brothers products at Wild Earth grocery on 99th Street, but not the ones I want (maraschino cherry syrup is the only one I can remember offhand - i'll make a note next time I go there).

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
corrinnao
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-02 3:48 pm   Permalink

I remembered the store - it's called BYOB on Queen St just west of Shaw (in Toronto).
They carry all of the Fees Bros products.

[ This Message was edited by: corrinnao 2011-07-02 15:49 ]

View Profile of corrinnao Send a personal message to corrinnao      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-03 5:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-02 14:30, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
They carry some Fee Brothers products at Wild Earth grocery on 99th Street, but not the ones I want (maraschino cherry syrup is the only one I can remember offhand - i'll make a note next time I go there).

Is that where the the one where IGA used to be? I'll have to check that out, although you're just down the street. If you have a chance to pop in, see if you can order other products, ie. their orange bitters or falernum syrup.

Quote:

On 2011-07-02 15:48, corrinnao wrote:
I remembered the store - it's called BYOB on Queen St just west of Shaw (in Toronto).
They carry all of the Fees Bros products.
[ This Message was edited by: corrinnao 2011-07-02 15:49 ]

That's good to know. My cousin lives not too far from there. I'll have to check this place out next time I visit him, if we still can't get Fee Bros. stuff here. Keep us updated if they bring in anything else along the lines of bitters or syrups.

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-08 8:22 pm   Permalink

Been noticing the Trader Vics silver and dark rums have shown up at the Sobey's liquor stores here. Not a big deal, really, but it's kinda cool to see it here. I've also spotted the macadamia nut liquor at several stores as well.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alefoot

Posted: 2011-10-06 3:16 pm   Permalink

This seems like a good thread to de-lurk on ....

Across the road on the same block as Vancouver's Waldorf Hotel, [with its somewhat famous
Tiki bar], is 'Gourmet Warehouse' who carry a range of Fee's product, Bittermens Tiki bitters, Angostura Orange, several different Orgeats and other hard to find syrups and bitters.

Also of possible interest to those of us living far from sources for exotica, there's discussion over on eGullet [in the spirits and cocktails forum] which brings together pro mixologists and enthusiasts discussing making things like Pimento Dram, using whipped cream dispensers to make infusions [5 minute Falernum, anyone?] etc.

Perhaps if there are enough of us in one province we could get together to split a case on some of the ingredients which the LCB will only do as special order? Wray and Nephew's marvelously funky white overproof springs to mind.

[ This Message was edited by: Alefoot 2011-10-06 15:18 ]

View Profile of Alefoot Send a personal message to Alefoot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-06 11:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-06 15:16, Alefoot wrote:

Across the road on the same block as Vancouver's Waldorf Hotel, [with its somewhat famous Tiki bar], is 'Gourmet Warehouse' who carry a range of Fee's product, Bittermens Tiki bitters, Angostura Orange, several different Orgeats and other hard to find syrups and bitters.

Damn! I kept eying that place when I stayed at the Waldorf in February - I meant to pop in but never got around to it somehow. Oh well, next time.

blog

Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 12:41 pm   Permalink

Arrgggh! I was just down there, too! Although, I missed my chance to see the Waldorf (it's hard when traveling with the kid)...

As per Slacks' observation, I've noticed we have several TV products on the market - TV rums is silver, gold, dark, and spiced; macadamia nut liqueur; Kona coffee liqueur; and premixed Mai Tai and Blue Hawaiian. I'd stay away from the latter, but the rums make for decent budget rums and the liqueurs are great! I did find some Fee Bros products at Wild Earth Grocery. Tiny bottles of various cordials, but nothing terribly useful. There was maraschino, lime, and 2 others I can't remember. I picked up the maraschino but haven't used it much. Anyway, not much else to report in these here parts. Will definitely hit up this Gourmet Warehouse on my next Vancouver trip!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation