FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Canadian liquor/ingredient advise
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Canadian liquor/ingredient advise
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 3:38 pm   Permalink

you have LH or LH 151 or both?

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 7:36 pm   Permalink

Already have LH regular...LH 151 would be a new thing.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-29 10:35 am   Permalink

Oh...Brandomoai already posted about this in the LH thread.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-07 04:14 am   Permalink

Yeah, way ahead of ya'! Have you sourced it out at all, Slacks? Looks like there's still only one place in Calgary who's ordered it (Highlander Liquor) but Liquor Connect's not always accurate. I found it in Edmonton but they've got it priced at about $45, which isn't too shocking really, just a bit more than I need to spend right now.

[ This Message was edited by: Brandomoai 2012-05-07 04:18 ]

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-07 3:35 pm   Permalink

I'd love to see it turn up in Ontario. At $45, I'd be all over it. The LCBO charges that for the Bacardi 151.

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-09 2:55 pm   Permalink

Yep. I phoned Highlander. Out. Might be able to persuade them to order a box.

It's also $45 a bottle or so...I think I still have some old stock to use first.

Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-10 3:14 pm   Permalink

I dunno... I'm thinking about picking up a bottle just so I can save my old label LH151. Although, I'm skeptical that my palate (or anyone's) is refined enough to tell the difference in a zombie or jet pilot. I know! I'll use the old stock, buy a new bottle, then pour it into the old bottle! That way, I can maintain some tiki credibility...

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-05 6:17 pm   Permalink

Alright, I have another local place that I have to give a shout out to: Silk Road Spice Merchants in Calgary: http://www.silkroadspices.ca/
Not only do they have an amazing selection of herbs and spices, they are a one-stop shop for homemade bitters enthusiasts and carry an awesome selection of essential but hard-to-find-in-Canada bitters, like Peychauds, Regans, Angostura Orange, Dr. Elmigirab's Bokers, etc. They even sell dropper and woozy bottles for bottling your own bitters! They're a bit pricier than the average health store with a bulk herb selection, but for the fact that they have almost everything you could possibly think of for homemade bitters under one roof, it's worth it. Yes, I have a bitters obsession, and this is my new favorite store.

[ This Message was edited by: brandomoai 2012-06-05 20:41 ]

poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-07 1:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-05 18:17, Brandomoai wrote:
Alright, I have another local place that I have to give a shout out to: Silk Road Spice Merchants in Calgary: http://www.silkroadspices.ca/

Thanks! The Peychauds and the Regans are about 3x what they cost in the US but still come out cheaper after shipping so it's a good find. Not to mention they carry a few other things I use that I've been ordering from the US so I'll definitely be bookmarking that site.

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-07 3:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Thanks! The Peychauds and the Regans are about 3x what they cost in the US but still come out cheaper after shipping so it's a good find. Not to mention they carry a few other things I use that I've been ordering from the US so I'll definitely be bookmarking that site.

Yeah, that's living in Canada for you! Luckily, I travel to the states 5 or 6 times a year, so I've picked up a lot of great liquors and ingredients that are either impossible to find or 2 or 3 times the price up here. However, some of those bitters brands, especially the European ones, aren't any easier to find in the US than here! If you look at Kegworks or Cocktail Kingdom, they're basically charging the same price for Dr. Elmigirab's and Bitter Truth (AKA Berg & Hauck), so I don't feel too ripped off for having paid $25 for Boker's Bitters. We do get nailed on the American brands, though! Next time, I want to try Scrappy's Cardomom or Lavender bitters...

poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-07 4:45 pm   Permalink

I won't feel ripped off paying $15 for the Regans and Peychauds either. The shipping is less than half what cocktail kingdom charges so it works out fine on the cost and keeping it in Canada may help encourage continued and expanded availability this side of the border.

On another note, I may, have a couple of bottles of Lemon Hart 151 coming my way soon. I'm not going to get too excited at this point but family members of my boss are coming up for the summer (they do every year) and offered to bring it to me. We'll see...

[ This Message was edited by: poutineki 2012-06-07 16:50 ]

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-15 09:41 am   Permalink

So is Meagher's Grand Curacao now extinct in Alberta? I've been searching in liquor stores and it's not showing up on the liquor connect website. Thoughts on this Brandon?

Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-19 9:12 pm   Permalink

Yeah, it seems to be. I've seen a few dusty bottles kicking around here and there, one store in Edmonton has it on clearance sale for a pretty good price (can't remember what) if you want me to pick up a bottle for you. It's too bad, since it's really the last orange curacao here (which brings us back to the beginning of this thread!). There are good substitutes, but most of them are expensive. Anyone ever try Bols Red Orange?

Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-19 9:17 pm   Permalink

Hey, I just noticed something new on LiquorConnect! Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao! Probably more expensive than Grand Marnier, but I bet it's good...

Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-19 10:20 pm   Permalink

What? No more Curacao at "popular" prices? I guess I'll have to nurse the bottle of Meagher's I have.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation