FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Koloa Rum - yay or nay?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Koloa Rum - yay or nay?
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-22 10:29 pm   Permalink

I attended a tasting for Koloa a few weeks ago and I was impressed.

On the low end, I couldn't tell the difference between the silver and gold, and both tasted like a vodka martini with an olive.

The dark was nice, but a little pricey for a mixer.

The spiced rum had a nice flavor, and is the only one I would consider a sipper.

Their coconut rum was outstanding, and from what I understand, completely natural. If I ever have need for a coconut rum, this will be my choice.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-23 07:43 am   Permalink

I haven't seen it in any of the liquor stores in my area.

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-23 5:41 pm   Permalink

Gotta agree on the dark - its fantastic, but is pricey at roughly $30 if memory serves me. I have a small bottle of the spiced, which I'll be trying soon on my next flight. I tend to pass over gold rums without much concern or interest.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-24 5:59 pm   Permalink

YAY for the dark, the coconut, and the spiced. The spiced has a bit too much honey for me personally, but for a spiced rum, it's good. We just stocked up on all three at K&B in Del Cerro.

The white & gold are less exciting; we thought the gold was the least memorable.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-24 6:41 pm   Permalink

Good tip B

I will report back soon.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-25 8:22 pm   Permalink

For those of you in the South Florida area we have a tasting event scheduled for March 6

https://www.facebook.com/events/622524684479425

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-01 4:23 pm   Permalink

I wrote a review of it last september - http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=18197&cpage=1#comment-84262

I liked the rums, especially the Coconut one.

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-27 10:05 am   Permalink

The coconut is fantastic, I just tried it at rum renaissance.

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-27 7:55 pm   Permalink

Pretty much the only coconut rum I can tolerate anymore is the stuff I take the time to make myself, and that has pretty much ruined Malibu, Cruzan, etc. for me. They all taste very chemical and artificial and make any drink you put them in taste that way too.

But the positive reviews from respected sources for Koloa coconut rum has me intrigued. I look forward to giving this a try.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 09:19 am   Permalink

I bought a bottle of Koloa Dark, which is a given, and Coconut. If I weren't sick as a dog...still...I'd give the coconut an immediate tasting. I'm very eager to see how it lives up to the hype. Meanwhile, I might have thrown away the Costco-sized bottle of Malibu that my wife bought awhile back...

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 3:00 pm   Permalink

I tried it at Rum Renaissance as well. Not a huge fan of coconut rum, but it didn't have the horrible chemical mouth feel that you usually get with a flavored anything. If you like coconut rum, it's worth a try.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tele295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-29 6:58 pm   Permalink

I like it. A buddy of mine and I special-ordered a case of Koloa Gold from our local merchant and split it. We are planning an outrigger week on Kauai next year and will be hitting the tasting room to try the other varieties and get their special in-store only tiki mugs

View Profile of Tele295 Send a personal message to Tele295  Goto the website of Tele295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mockingbird
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-01 08:11 am   Permalink

We did the tasting while visiting Kauai in 2012. Love the dark...has a really nice hint of vanilla. Have played around and sub'd it in a couple of drinks that traditionally call for silver with nice results.

View Profile of Mockingbird Send a personal message to Mockingbird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-01 6:30 pm   Permalink

I'll shamelessly plug the 2 episodes of my podcast that I devoted to the 5 Koloa rums (and associated cocktail suggestions) that are currently on the market.

White and Gold:
http://5minutesofrum.com/episodes/2014/2/1/episode-20-kloa-white-and-gold-hawaiian-rum

Dark, Spiced, Coconut:
http://5minutesofrum.com/episodes/2014/3/8/episode-22-koloa-2-dark-spice-and-coconut

The coconut rum is the real deal - I generally don't care for flavored rums. The white makes a great daiquiri, plain and simple. I'm not as effusive in praising the Koloa Dark but I played around with it and found some classic recipes where it worked well. I found it fared better in cocktails with a orange/lemon profile and not as well with those that have a lime/falernum type profile.

kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

[ This Message was edited by: heylownine 2014-05-01 18:30 ]

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
metikigal
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-29 6:04 pm   Permalink

I also tried it at Rum Renaissance and liked the flavor. We were told it was a mixing rum used at the Mai Kai. When we arrived home and went to purchase a bottle was a little surprised at the $40 price. I guess shipping all the way from Hawaii to Florida can get pricey. But still a very nice line of Rums.

View Profile of metikigal Send a personal message to metikigal      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation