FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Mag Release Party August 5th at the Purple Orchid
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Tiki Mag Release Party August 5th at the Purple Orchid
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-07 11:55 pm   Permalink

And it's always nice to run into YOU! Mahalo for your kind words! We hope to see you at Tiki Oasis!
Aloha from Kari

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Slob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-08 4:26 pm   Permalink

Dug the show Hula Girls! Dug The Purple Orchid. Dug the Mai Tai and Sex On The Beach...a little much. The next morning, my eyes didn't exactly track with my head for a couple of hours. It took extra coffee to get stable. It was great to meet the Tiki Central folks and some of the locals that were at the Orchid and not aware of what was really happening. They expected to come have a quiet time not really getting the Tiki Lounge thing. One lady even asked me, "So what's this Tiki thing all about anyway?" I told her to go buy a magazine 'cuz I was in no shape to expound on that subject short of showing her my hula girl/tiki tattoo. I bought the past issue and the current release of Tiki Magazine. These were my first reads of the mag. Great stuff. Thanks Nick! Thanks Tom for autographing the cover. Thanks Spike for the great Tbird discussion during the break. I got a picture of me (and a fantastic Mai Tai) with Nick and Tom but who is that Kat between them with the tounge? I totally missed that.
Anyway, Spike, here are some pictures. I just shot random pics and kind of lost track of what was going on with them. I have a few more if anyone is interested. Nice Go-Go boxes by the way.
Tiki Slob

Me, Tom, Nick and "that guy"

The Girls and Spike

More of the girls and Spike

Jammin' on the Bass

Lookin' from the front door

The Go-Go boxes

View Profile of Tiki Slob Send a personal message to Tiki Slob  Email Tiki Slob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-08 5:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-08 16:26, Tiki Slob wrote:
...I got a picture of me (and a fantastic Mai Tai) with Nick and Tom but who is that Kat between them with the tounge? I totally missed that...

Hey I recognize you from that night !! Sorry I didn't formally meet you.

"That Kat" is Jonpaul Balak, who is the Photo Editor for Tiki Mag. Probably even more significant is the fact he plays bass for both Tikiyaki Orchestra and the Insect Surfers. He's a Tiki/Surf Revival Renaissance man to be sure.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Slob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-08 6:43 pm   Permalink

John-O,
If that's you in the distorted picture above having had a few Shrunken Heads then I remember you too. I think I told you some lady was trying to get your attention and you didn't believe me. Did you find her? My pal and I were sitting in the back by the pool table helping some ladies with their Sex on the Beach. They asked us to stick our straws in and partake of some nectar. So...we did.
Um...anyway, next time that TC is going to have such a huge attendance, we should have a sign-in sheet with screen names and actual names so we can at least have a roster of attendance. Maybe even a roll call so folks can see eachother. Just my $0.02.
Good times, huh?
OK...glad I also have a picture of me with the auspicious Jonpaul Balak. Cheers Jonpaul! Thanks for jumpin' in.
TS

View Profile of Tiki Slob Send a personal message to Tiki Slob  Email Tiki Slob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-08 6:56 pm   Permalink

Yup, that was me so I guess we did meet (kinda).

Name tags are a good idea, I often thought Hanford should market some special cool TC button that you could put your Tiki name on. Name tags seem kind of nerdy but I do require them when I'm running my own Tiki events. There had to be at least 30 TC people at the PO, several of them being key Tiki artists and musicians...

"TC was representin'... NickTiki, MakeDaMug, Thor, Mr. J., Mr. & Mrs. Flaming Tiki, Atomic Tiki Punk, Jungle Ginger, HappyChi, KrisDrama, Bearded Bastard, Tobunga, Manuel, JonPaul, Marie, Tikiyaki, Kirby, BigTikiDude, Chuck Tatum, PolyPop, Tangaroa-Ru, SoccerTiki, WooHooWahine, and probably lot's more I can't remember. And yes Bruddah Bear does exists, it was good to finally meet him. (And now that I remember: Tiki Bird, UtopianDreem, Mo-Eye, Insect Dave, Tiki-Ray & Cindy, and TC Hula Girls Spike, Tiki Bong, and Lucas Vigor.)

I used to just ask people "Are you Tiki Central ?" when I would encounter an unknown person sporting Aloha-wear in a Tiki joint. I'd get about a 20% hit rate on people who would even know what TC is. I'm going to get back into that habit again.

And thanks for the photos, BTW !! The rest of us were not doing our Tiki duty in documenting such a great event.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-08-09 18:20 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Slob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-08 8:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-08 18:56, JOHN-O wrote:
Yup, that was me so I guess we did meet (kinda).

Well then here are a couple pix of you swingin' with a lady in green.

BTW, I think JonPaul must be part Maori...check that tongue!

And check Thor's devil eyes above Dinah's left, um, next to her left shoulder.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Slob 2011-08-08 20:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Slob 2011-08-08 20:37 ]

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-08 8:45 pm   Permalink

Nice roll call John-O, Thanks for the cocktail also!!!, Excellent job on the TikiMag article/interview

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 07:56 am   Permalink

Last time we used name tags at an event, every single person present put the name "Ken Ruzik" on theirs!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Slob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-09 08:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-09 07:56, lucas vigor wrote:
Last time we used name tags at an event, every single person present put the name "Ken Ruzik" on theirs!

Yeah...that's kinda why I'm thinkin' just a little roll call and hand raise between sets or somethin'. I remember being at an event once where everyone switched name tags.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Slob 2011-08-09 08:15 ]

Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 09:32 am   Permalink

Great pictures, TS! Nice talking to you too. It's very rare that you meet ANYONE else with a 'bullet bird' Ford.
And thanks for the pics! I reposted them on our Facebook page, hope you don't mind!
www.facebook.com/thehulagirls

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 10:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-09 08:15, Tiki Slob wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-08-09 07:56, lucas vigor wrote:

Yeah...that's kinda why I'm thinkin' just a little roll call and hand raise between sets or somethin'. I remember being at an event once where everyone switched name tags.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Slob 2011-08-09 08:15 ]

Sounds to much like going back to school for me, I just like to talk to people at the bar etc.
you know just let it happen kind of thing, John-O is really good at introducing new TCers to all the old timers
Tiki is not for the shy folks, so adopting a "Meet & Greet" policy will get you a whole lot of new friends.

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Slob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-09 3:37 pm   Permalink

Do what ya like with the pictures Spike. I had a great time taking them and have shared them with so many people over the past couple of days. I think that they have served their purpose.

Bullet Birds are cool...yeah!

TS

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation